Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Tigers to return to the circus

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 3 Dec 2009.

1. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Agree with Riziki here. CAPS report does have a point but I do hate some of the things they write and say, however I feel in this instance they are totally right. Skinning and Decapitating an animal is wrong in a zoo. Many animal skulls or animal fur samples are either confiscated from customs and donated or were brought back from research expeditions. For any zoo to do this is wrong, but a zoo linked with a circus - SHUT IT DOWN NOW! It is cruel, Noahs Zoo Farm should be restored back to a farm. In my opinion just keep the horses, goats and pigs and start a petting zoo. Dont waste endless amounts of money on shoddy enclosures and cheap disposal techniques!

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

LOADS of zoos have had their animals stuffed: Bristol had their gorilla (Alfred?) stuffed along with both of their polar bears, London had some of it's elephants stuffed, Dartmoor had it's tiger stuffed, Whipsnade has a lion which might be from there... There's probably loads more.

As zoogiraffe already mentioned, that would mean closing down pretty much every safari park in Britain and probably a lot of zoos.

3. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The Lion at Whipsnade came from Knaresborough Zoo and has been passed through a few collections If i can remember correctly - It now resides at Whipsnade but with it being passed through many collections the once great mane this lion supposedly had is now missing.

4. James27

Ok, thanks for that.

5. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

You know some people get animals that they loved stuffed to keep them forever, or will keep a piece of their fur or something else to remember them by. A good friend of mine kept a piece of her old English sheep dogs hair after he passed away. I dont agree at all that this is disrespectful. Somebody stuffing their Granny however would be a different story but I state again treating animals as people has no place in a serious discussion.

6. Dartboy

Dartboy Active Member

When i visited in september i asked how the mother died, they told me she caught a disease that was uncurable to cats (cant remember the name). And their was nothing they could do about it is this the same as what they have been telling the press?

7. ZooLeopard

Most zoos have now no connections with circus's. Used to and some (very few) still do. Noahs ark and Aspinall used to are some i think.

8. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Do Howletts have connections with Circus's?

9. James27

Where did you hear Howletts do? The GB circus site states they originally came from there but they also say their tigers are 7th generation. Nothing to say they're still connected (not that I have a problem with it anyway).

10. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

When John Aspinall first bought his tigers to start up his collection he got them from where he could find them.
    Tara was bought from Edinburgh Zoo for instance.
    Some of the Tigers were taken from Circus' but it was under no arrangement at all and the Tigers where just simply taken away and added to the Howletts Breeding Programme - No connection involved really.
    Indeed Ash their oldest Tiger Little Boy died during August this year at 21 and he was a 5th Generation Howletts Tiger.

11. ZooLeopard

to my knowledge they still do. Anyhow thhis thread is about Noahs Ark Zoo Farm decapitating centre (As i now call it!) Does anyone on here actually like this shadow of a zoo?

12. James27

The GB circus tigers are (or were) from Howletts, it says so on their website. What I'm wondering is if they still have a connection? I didn't think they did.

13. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure there is no connection involved? How on Earth did you know this ZooLeopard?

14. James27

It's on the website for the Great British circus. I'll find a link now.

15. ZooLeopard

As GB Circus wants to (try) to make everyone believe they are for breeding rare species and saving them then I can think they want the inspectors to see that their stock is pure so they could try to call upon Howletts? My opinion on the matter sorry!

16. James27

"Our beautiful TIGERS are the 9th generation we have bred...One of our original tigers was rescued from a back garden in Birmingham. Our other original tigers came from Belle Vue Zoo, Manchester, when it was closed and John Aspinall's Howletts Zoo. "
    And there's no chance circus tigers are pure, they're generic zoo tigers. Don't make assumptions like that, you don't even know if they still work with each other.

17. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

The Aspinall Tigers were'nt pure. They where mix raced with Bengal,Sumatran within the Bengal Breeding Programme.
    However I think the Siberians where pretty pure? They achieved the first breeding of them in the UK Succesfully.

18. ZooLeopard

Sorry, lets get off this subject before we over run this thread with stories on circus's! Just my opinion.

19. James27

I believe the Amurs are, but the Bengals wouldn't be, and they'd be the ones in the circus.

20. ZooLeopard

Is gerald the giraffe from a uk zoo? AAre they planning on getting anymore cause the last i heard he was with a goat (very noahs ark!) Maybe they should put the giraffe, goat and labrador all in one exhibit.