Join our zoo community

African Lion Safari Tigers?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Meaghan Edwards, 1 Aug 2013.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

It's been a number of years since I've last visted, and I notice they no longer have tigers on their list of animals. Does anyone know why they don't have them anymore?

2. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the exact reason why but their old exhibit is now used for African lion safari's large breeding group of cheetahs.

3. Greendottie

Greendottie Active Member

a tiger attacked someone at one point when they rolled down their window

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I found a couple of articles on the attack. The first one appears to be an argument by the lawyer of the woman. Now to be fair Im not certain thats the case but if it is truely the lawyers arguements it was the peoples own damn fault. In it they say that her window was partially open to take photos. If they had just done what they should have... kept the windows closed... nothing would have happened. Gee the logic of some people. Go into an exhibit with wild animals... ones that hunt and eat others to surivive... nope nothing bad will happen if I open the window. They claim that the other tigers in the attack were able to get in the car because the guys arm hit the window controls by accident during the attack, which i highly doubt probably had all the windows down and tried to close them too late. Now to be fair again I cant say with certaintly what I found is really from the lawyer but certain things just dont make sense. If all the windows are up how on earth does a tiger get in? I love how people who do incredibly stupid things get awarded damages by our courts because others should forsee their stupidity (the article says negligence but lets call it what it is stupidity). People need to accept responsiblity for their own actions. Yes others put their windows down every day and didnt get attack but they were incredibly lucky. If you take those kinds of risks with your life you have to accept the consquences of your actions. I put my hand in fire is should expect to be burned and have to deal with the pain. Same thing. Im surprised they didnt sue the car manufacture too for making a car a tiger could get into and open the windows for others to join. I feel bad for these two people who had to endure the attack and now live with the life long injuries, pain and memories but I cant help thinking they only did it to themselves when they ignored warning signs. I'd like to be more sympathetic but just cant find it in me.

But in answer to the original question Im sure this is why they dont have them any more... The bad PR from them would have lingered and the animals probably werent safe (much like the african wild dogs that killed the toddler in Pittsburgh last fall because his mother didnt believe in warning signs either), and the insurance on them might have become insane after the "accident". Im not certain though. Just a guess.

http://www.thomsonrogers.com/sites/default/files/OTLA-When-Tigers-Attack.pdf

Award stands in tiger-mauling lawsuit | Toronto Star

Will African safari park have to change stripes? | Toronto Star