Join our zoo community

Tilgate Nature Centre Tilgate Nature Centre

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pipaluk, 6 Nov 2013.

1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was no waterfowl on the lake when I visited.One of the let downs.

2. Eric

Paid Tilgate a visit recently.Mixed reviews,though mainly on the positive,as I kinda have a soft spot for this little place and the park.

The positives: I like the general wood log design of the little multi-species houses that separate the zones. The new American aviary is reasonably spacious. And there is an impressive species list for this small zoo.

The negatives: The Americas zone is clearly not finished yet,and was rushed to completion in places to reach their set opening day.
    The Brazilian Tapir/Greater Rhea/Capybara enclosure clearly still has some work still to do.Theres a pool but its a depression lined with green artificial turf. The Tapir and Rhea were out though.
    I'm quite sure there were marmosets the last time I've visited?. They were off show,if still housed there.
    The older aviaries behind the raven aviary,housed pheasants and other birds,had no bird iD so I could not tell what species the pheasants were.
    It was difficult to see into a few of the exterior viewing windows with sunlight beaming on them..A small shelter would have helped for photographic opportunities.

Evenso, i'm sure this zoo will improve once the recent enclosures have been finished. I would still go back again.

3. Eric

Long -nosed Potoroo gives birth to a cute l'il joey around January 31st. Emerging from mum's pouch in recent weeks.

pipaluk and kiang like this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having visited today, I can confirm what I already knew from my last few visits over the last 2 years , ZTL is hopelessly out of date. The nature centre side of the lake now has no species signed and I saw nothing either. A lot of the ducks, geese and swans formerly held there appear to have gone.

Not seen in 2 years, not signed today :

Bali Mynah
    Black cheeked lovebird
    Fischers lovebird
    Black-necked Swan
    Blue Crane
    Blue Eared Pheasant
    Chinese Goose
    NeNe
    Degu
    Lady Amherst Pheasant
    Silver Pheasant
    Red Deer
    White cheeked Turaco
    Mandarin duck
    Tufted duck

I can't be sure on amphibians and reptiles as their former house and part of education centre are currently closed.

New Species not on ZTL
    Serrated Casquehead Iguana
    Baron's Racer
    Milk Frog
    Lilac Breasted Roller
    Green winged macaw
    Phantasmal Dart frog

Don't know where the Emperor Tamarin are, though 2 new cages are under construction in the South American zone

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I visited Tilgate yesterday. It's somewhere I should visit more often - it's in my home county - but, in my mind it always has the feel of a farm park, or a children's attraction. This is possibly unfair - it's actually rather a nice small zoo. In some ways it is typical of many British places: the collection is almost wholly predictable, the overall design can be lacking (lots of points at which one can stand and look through multiple cages, not really achieving a satisfactory vista). The signage is interesting: it's a total mess, with all manner of different things here and there, in different styles, and at times it can begin to bring on a headache. But there's a lot of thought and imagination on display, and, certainly, visitors were reading and responding to the material with which they were presented. Overall: a very pleasant small zoo.

The slightly hyperactive entrance area:

[​IMG]

One of those quite thoughtful signs:

[​IMG]

...and another (lots of different things like this, encouraging greater visitor engagement):

[​IMG]

...and another...

[​IMG]

This is the Madagascar area. Nothing wrong that a quadrupling of the construction budget wouldn't have been able to put right!

[​IMG]

I have posted some additional pictures in the Tilgate gallery....

Tilgate Nature Centre - ZooChat

snowleopard, TNT, MagpieGoose and 2 others like this.
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Any callitrichids kept by this place?

7. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Emperor tamarins

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Awesome , thanks @Rayane ! Much appreciated !

9. Eric

A few years ago,Tilgate had plans for a nocturnal house and a penguin pool. Wonder if they are still committed to seeing that through?

10. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're currently in the process of converting their Discovery Room into an African themed building with some nocturnal species. It said so on the door into the building when I visited back in October.

11. Daubentoniidae

They had plans to bring in Naked Mole-Rats and Marmosets.

12. pipaluk

I notice that in recent months they have acquired Chacoan Mara from Lotherton and also Gundi

Kifaru Bwana and TNT like this.
  13. Eric

Just to add that during the current climate with zoos struggling,alas these plans would probably be the least of their concerns

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Eric

A few years back,i read of Tilgates ambitious plans to build a nocturnal house and introduce a penguin pool to the collection. I assume now,that the plans never came to fruition...?

15. Daubentoniidae

I think they're in the process of converting their old discovery house into something for African species. No idea about penguins.

16. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

On July 28th, 2023, the center announced that a (0.1) Shetland pony named Cinnamon passed away at around the age of 25 due to deteriorating health.

Tilgate Park - We are sad to announce the passing of one...

On February 22nd, 2023, the center announced they acquired (0.0.2) marabou storks named Fester and Lurch which are now on exhibit.

Tilgate Park - Meet Fester and Lurch the marabou storks!...

On April 3rd, it was announced that the center transferred a (1.0) Asian small-clawed otter named Katarni to Paradise Park in Cornwall.

Paradise Park - Love at first sight! Our new little Asian...

On April 23rd, the center announced they acquired (1.1) blue cranes which are now on exhibit in the ibis aviary.

Also on April 23rd, the center announced they built a new exhibit for their Chinese(?) water dragons near the Madagascan zone.

Tilgate Park - ️ Did you work out our cute snoot over on...
    Tilgate Park - Egads! Could it be a dragon?!...

On May 20th, the center announced they acquired (1.1) striated caracaras named Peanut and Pickle which are now on exhibit.

Tilgate Park - Exciting news! Did you work out our cute...

On June 18th, the center announced that a (0.0.1) capybara was born 2 weeks prior and is now on exhibit.

Tilgate Park - Capy Father’s Day! We have a brand new...

Fresco3 likes this.
  17. Daubentoniidae

Not sure if it's been posted yet but Tilgate now has one Andean Condor called Janine.

18. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

On October 19th, the center announced the capybara's gender, (0.1).

Tilgate Park - It's a girl! After a summer of keeping...

On October 21st, the center announced they moved their (1.0) crested gecko into a new vivarium which is now open to the public.

Tilgate Park - ⭐️ Reptile Awareness Day AND Star of the...

On October 24th, the center announced they acquired (1.1) six-banded armadillos named Milo and Hattie which are now on exhibit.

Armadillos arrive at Tilgate! | *NEW SPECIES*: Armadillos arrive at Tilgate! Our latest arrivals are a bundle of energy - Hattie and Milo the six-banded armadillos! Did you work it out... | By Tilgate Park | Facebook

Fresco3 likes this.
  19. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Obviously this is a few years old but do they actually still hold Chacoan mara? I believe they were Patagonian Mara when I visited back in 2022 and Zootierliste seems to suggest the same

20. pipaluk

I can't remember if the chacoan mara were still there when I last visited at the beginning of this year but they definitely had them when I posted the info in 2021 !