Join our zoo community

Time Article on The Future of zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Batto, 17 Feb 2017.

1. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm actually developing a map for a vertical urban zoo, inspired by this article. Stay tuned!

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think this article is pretty thin stuff. It makes some valid points and it pays lip service to the concept of plurality, but with scarcely any discussion of the range of possibilities that the future may hold. Consider this paragraph:-
    Ask a dozen zoo directors why these places should exist today and you'll get a different answer every time. Education, conservation and science all come up. But the most common answer--fostering empathy for animals--is becoming harder to do while providing humane care to these animals.
    Frankly, I don't believe this (unless the author actually spoke to 12 zoo directors and happened to pick a dozen of the most idiosyncratic and eccentric members of the profession :oops:).
    I suspect that their answers would actually be quite similar in content, although I am sure there would be differences in the emphasis that they gave to each component of their answers. But note the author's sting in the tail: it is his judgement that fostering empathy for animals is becoming harder to do as we learn more about animals.
    It is not news that zoos are changing. It is not news that different zoos are changing in different ways. It is not news that zoo professionals and zoo visitors alike want better care for the animals in zoos, better education, better science and better conservation. Neither is it news that zoo consultants like Messrs Coe & Hancocks need to publicise their ideas with the help of tame journalists to attract future commissions and to talk down alternative ideas to their own ;)

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Once again the media does a lousy job of covering zoos. I'll admit, I had to quit reading the article suggested that blackfish wasn't a splendid example of yellow journalism (sorry for bringing that up.)

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
    d1am0ndback likes this.
  4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Glad to see that the article initiated some discussion. What actually happened to Hancock's vision of a virtual zoo in which you can only see animals on computer/TV screens via satellites, holograms etc.? Except for the Dubai Mall or the "whale in a gym" videos, I can't remember any current example for the latter.

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is happening now. Extinctions of most antelope species in zoos were well discussed on this forum. Other groups where where number of species declined dramatically include monkeys, deer, small carnivores, waterfowl and small birds.

Birdsage likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What happened is that it was a stupid idea that no one would actually pay money to see.

Birdsage likes this.
  7. JigerofLemuria

And it's done! I don't know if it's a bad policy to advertise oneself, but screw it; here's my latest brain child: the VUZ!!!! VUZ: Vertical Urban Zoo | ZooChat

8. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would also like to see more focus on improving pinniped exhibits. A lot of them are pretty weak. A shame not only for the animals, but because pinniped exhibits feature both water and land and thus have great coastal design possibilities. Plus, in my experience, pinnipeds are popular with guests because they're both charismatic and active.

Birdsage and JigerofLemuria like this.
  9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there a reason that no pinniped exhibits seem to have natural substrate? Of the exhibits I've seen, it's all just a simple formula of mock rock/concrete + water.

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

WAS? Has something happened to David?
    Google him

11. Zooplantman

I reject these articles that set up a false choice for zoos between animals living in zoos vs living in "the wild."
    Very 19th century.
    1. There is no longer a "wild."
    2. In general, zoos outside of China are not taking animals from nature to "captivity and coercion" in the zoo.
    It is not to say that we can't learn and improve, but (as someone indicated above) the entire argument is dishonest.

12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many aquaria, Sydney Wildlife World and Dallas World Aquarium? Structural reasons related to weight of exhibits might make buildings for big mammals inpracticial.

They are a typical flat screen TV or a home movie beamer, and 3D cinema. Technology became so common that nobody notices it.

13. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you mean they are going extinct because of zoos or failed help of zoos. Can you explain what you mean or link me to where this was discussed?

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think Jurek is talking about a decline in species diversity in zoos, not about species going extinct in the wild (although that is also happening currently). No specific thread comes to mind, but it has been discussed at length several times before.

d1am0ndback likes this.
  15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That we know; I was just wondering whether something practical actually came out of those pipe dreams.

16. Zooplantman

Giant Panda and Batto like this.
  17. JigerofLemuria

18. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rollercoaster simulators were the latest thing once, never took over from rollercoasters though.

19. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In some respects I wonder if these things only make people want to see real animals more, they work like adverts. And would people really only want to see animals on a screen, they wouldn't be happy only ever seeing their relatives on Skype ?

20. JigerofLemuria

This idea of virtual zoos came up in a debate I assisted some years ago, about whether or not zoos should exist. The anti-zoo spokesman proposed this idea, and the main arguments against it were that people would miss seeing real animals, but the anti-zoo crowd then accused them of anthropocentrism.
    Another strong argument was that people are addicted to touch screens enough as it is, and this is pretty much like playing with a giant tablet. The woman who said that pointed out that the last time she visited the Aquarium, kids were "widening the image" on the glass of fish tanks! o_O
    The spokesman said that, that way, people would experience "real animals, not animal bodies with artificial behaviors." But really, how "real" is a screen showing an animal documentary? :/
    I must say that the spokesman from Barcelona Zoo didn't do a great job, basing the fact that there are elephants there by saying "there have always been elephants in the Zoo." I think I intervened, saying that while the zoo is important for conservation, there's nothing wrong in leaving Elephants off your collection, if you can't afford them.
    In the end, it's all about being reasonable; we need zoos, that's a given, but they must be built with intelligence, in design, collection and image.

Birdsage likes this.