Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Time Machine - San Diego Zoo collection in 1990

Discussion in 'United States' started by jibster, 8 May 2015.

1. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

While cleaning my basement, I stumbled upon a notebook containing a list I made of the San Diego Zoo's collection in the summer of 1990, when Tiger River had recently opened and the first phase of Gorilla Tropics (the Scripps aviary, several smaller aviaries, and the gorilla exhibit) was new (the bonobos, eagles, colobus/managabey, and some other smaller bird exhibits were still under construction). At this time, the old Bird and Primate plazas were still in existence, though the Bird Plaza in particular had some empty exhibits hose denizens had already moved to other locations (by the following year, many more exhibits on both plazas were empty). I had a full day at the zoo, but not the benefit of the longer evening hours now offered during the summer, and so did not manage to cover the entire zoo - I know that I missed the reptile plaza, the hummingbird aviary (which I was barely able to see before I had to leave, and for which I was unable to write down any of the species), and the aviary behind the bus stop, and I know that certain areas toward the end of my visit were rushed through (my notes for some of the smaller exhibits on Horn & Hoof are lacking, among others). But, for all of you fellow zoo nerds, I thought I'd post this list, as I certainly found it interesting. I plan on posting in several chunks (as long as there is interest from you all - this can be a bit time-consuming) - so here is the first part.

Flamingo Lagoon:

Little Blue Heron, White Ibis, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Caribbean Flamingo, Canvasback, American Goosander

Macaws: Hyacinth Macaw, Blue & Yellow Macaw, Military Macaw, Scarlet Macaw, Green-winged Macaw

Tiger River

Gavial
    Green Tree python
    Fishing Cat
    Indian Pond Heron, Milky Stork, Lesser Adjutant Stork, Oriental Ibis, White Spoonbill, Indian Whistling Duck, Radjah Shelduck, Cotton Teal, Pied Avocet, Australian Stone Curlew, Red-wattled Lapwing, White-breasted Kingfisher, Indian Roller, Chinese Bulbul, Black-throated Laughing Thrush, Red-tailed Laughing Thrush, Crested Shrike-jay, Azure-winged Magpie, Indian Flying Fox
    Cattle Egret, Malayan Tapir
    Reticulated Python
    Black-naped Fruit Dove, Crimson-breasted Barbet, Golden-breasted Fulvetta, Gold-crested Mynah, Larger Mouse Deer
    Prevost's Squirrel
    Sumatran Tiger
    Ferruginous Wood-partridge, Great Argus Pheasant, Golden Pheasant, Golden Heart, Lesser Brown Fruit Dove, Yellow-breasted Fruit Dove, Blue-winged Pitta, Daurian Redstart, Red-tailed Laughting Thrush, Red-faced Liocichla, Silver-eared Mesia, Thai Black Drongo

Gorilla Tropics

Scripps Aviary
    Black-headed Heron, Hammerkop, Abdim's Stork, Hermit Ibis, African Spoonbill, White-faced Whistling Duck, African Pygmy Goose, Cape Teal, Red-billed Pintail, Hottentot Teal, African Pygmy Falcon, African Jacana, Pied Avocet, Common Pratincole, Crowned Plover, South African Speckled Pigeon, Olive Pigeon, Red-eyed Dove, Laughing Dove, Black-billed Wood Dove, Namaqua Dove, African Green Pigeon, Gray Plantain-eater, Lady Ross's Turaco, Speckled Mousebird, Woodland Kingfisher, Blue-breasted Kingfisher, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, Lilac-breasted Roller, Racket-tailed Roller, Rufous-crowned Roller, Blue-bellied Roller, Bearded Barbet, Oriole Warbler, Amethyst Starling, Southern Boubou, Fiscal Shrike, White-browed Robin Chat, Snowy-headed Robin Chat, White-crowned Robin Chat, Groundscraper Thrush, Arrow-marked Babbler, White-headed Buffalo Weaver, Hildebrandt's Starling, Wattled Starling
    Trumpeter Hornbill, Silvery-cheeked Hornbill, Suni
    Greater Painted Snipe, Black-headed Plover, White-fronted Sand Plover, Afircan Green Pigeon, White-bellied Go-away Bird, Little Bee-eater, White-eared Barbet, Fire-spotted Woodpecker, Snowy-headed Robin Chat, Capuchin Babbler, Splendid Sunbird, Golden-breasted Starling
    Congo Peafowl, Tambourine Dove, African Green Pigeon, Black-winged Lovebird, Schalow's Turaco, Golden-tailed Woodpecker, Long-crested Helmetshrike, White-crowned Robin Chat

Bird Plaza
    Barbary Partridge, White-bellied Bustard, Egyptian Plover, Red-faced Lovebird
    Black-breasted Buttonquail, Goffin's Cockatoo
    African Pygmy Goose, African Jacana, Nyasa Lovebird, White-browed Robin Chat, Splendid Sunbird, Yellow-mantled Widowbird
    Dusky Lory
    Black-winged Ground Dove, Long-wattled Umbrella Bird, Spangle-cheeked Tanager
    Black-breasted Buttonquail, Hooded Parrot
    Sunbittern, Black-winged Ground Dove, Crimson Fruitcrow, Silver-throated Tanager, Spangle-cheeked Tanager, Swallow Tanager
    Hawk-headed Parrot
    Red-necked Aracari
    Black-breasted Buttonquail, Bronze-winged Parrot
    Bare-faced Ground Dove, Capuchin Bird, Andean Solitaire, Orange-billed Sparrow, Golden-browed Chlorophonia, Bay-headed Tanager, Golden-masked Tanager
    Taviuni Shining Parrot
    Crested Wood Partridge, Brown-backed Emerald Dove, Red-flanked Lorikeet, Lesser Green Broadbill, Orange-headed Ground Thrush, Yellow-breasted Laughing Thrush, Striated Yuhina
    Kea
    Bar-shouldered Dove, Blue-winged Parrot, Satin Bowerbird
    Blue-cheeked Amazon
    Yellow-crowned Amazon
    Galah
    Philby's Rock Partridge, Red-bellied Macaw
    Golden Conure
    Javanese Collared Dove, Pompadour Green Pigeon, Black-chinned Fruit Dove, Philippine Hanging Parrot, Red-tailed Minla
    Masked Shining Parrot
    Picui Dove, Turquoise Tanager, Red-legged Honeycreeper
    Thick-billed Parrot
    Amboina King Parrot
    Australian King Parrot
    Red-capped Parrot
    Kandavu Shining Parrot
    Guam Kingfisher, Blue-winged Leafbird, Blue-backed Fairy Bluebird

Primate Plaza

Ring-tailed Lemur
    Red Ruffed Lemur
    Black-and-white Ruffed Lemur
    Bolivian Reed Titi
    White-faced Saki
    Mantled Howler
    Bolivian Red Howler
    Golden-breasted Mangabey
    Cherry-crowned Mangabey
    Schmidt's Redtail Monkey
    Moustached Monkey
    Owl-faced Monkey
    L'Hoest's Monkey
    DeBrazza's Monkey
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    Celebes Macaque
    Drill
    Kikuyu Colobus
    Fossa
    Siberian Yellow-throated Marten
    Grey-headed Tayra
    Guam Rail
    Red-flanked Douc Langur
    White-sideburned Black Leaf Monkey
    Siamang
    Bornean Orangutan
    Sumatran Orangutan
    Chinese Water Deer
    North Indian Muntjac
    Reeves's Muntjac

That seems like a good place to break for now. A few thoughts I had while typing this:

While the loss of species hoofstock at the Zoo (and Safari Park) is oft-bemoaned (that'll be covered in another post), I was struck by the incredible diversity of birds, many of which are no longer represented in any American collections. Four species of spoonbill, five species of roller (four in one aviary alone), all three species of Prosopeia parrot, a huge number of Neotropical bird species (there is little dedicated to South American birds any longer)... Not to mention the primates - two species of howlers (both barely represented at present, and not in San Diego's collection), five species of guenon (including sorely missed Owl-faced), the douc langurs...

Hope at least some of you found this interesting.... I will follow up next week with the remainder of the collection.

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you so much jibster!
    Of course we all appreciate this.

Welcome to zoochat BTW!

3. jibster

Thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking for a little while, and I think finding that notebook gave me the push to finally register and start posting...

4. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can a mod move this to correct forum?

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's quite the list. I can't wait to see the list for Horn and Hoof Mesa. That seems like such a loss to the zoo. At least for fans of ungulates like me.

6. jibster

On to the two large rain forest aviaries:

Plumed Whistling Duck, Mandarin Duck, Baikal Teal, White-faced Pigeon, Wonga Pigeon, Bartlett's Bleeding Heart, White-breasted Ground Pigeon, Pheasant Pigeon, Blue Crowned Pigeon, Yellow-breasted Fruit Dove, Gray-necked Fruit Pigeon, Rufous-bellied Fruit Pigeon, Green-naped Lorikeet, Orange-bellied Leafbird, Blue Whistling Thrush, White-crested Laughing Thrush, Greater Necklaced Laughing Thrush, White-spotted Laughing Thrush, White-browed Laughing Thrush, Red-tailed Laughing Thrush, Timor Helmeted Friarbird, Red Wattlebird, Rothschild' Mynah, Bald Starling, Glossy-mantled Manucode

Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo, White-bellied Kingfisher, Great Indian Hornbill, Azure-winged Magpie

Red Spurfowl, Temminck's Tragopan, Golden Pheasant, Ashy Wood Pigeon, Nilgiri Wood Pigeon, White-throated Pigeon, Emerald Dove, Nicobar Pigeon, White-breasted Ground Pigeon, Blue Crowned Pigeon, Gray-necked Fruit Pigeon, Celebes Green Imperial Pigeon, Pinon Imperial Pigeon, Goldie's Lorikeet, Indian Roller, Black-headed Woodpecker, Golden-fronted Leafbird, White-throated Laughing Thrush, White-crested Laughing Thrush, Tickell's Laughing Thrush, White-spotted Laughing Thrush, Red-faced Liocichla, Gray-headed Parrotbill, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Belford's Melidectes, Rothschild's Mynah, Golden-breasted Mynah, Yellow-faced Mynah, Black-naped Oriole

Double-wattled Cassowary
    Emu
    Oriental White Stork
    Manchurian Crane
    Demoiselle Crane

Eastern Brown Pelican, Lesser Adjutant Stork, Snow Goose, Hawaiian Goose, Aleutian Canada Goose, Orinoco Goose, Ruddy Shelduck, Paradise Shelduck, Spur-winged Goose, White-winged Wood Duck, Mandarin Duck, Maned Goose
    Southern Great White Pelican, White-breasted Cormorant, Cattle Egret, Saddlebill Stork, African Spoonbill, White-faced Whistling Duck, Black Spur-winged Goose, Hartlaub's Duck, Black Crowned Crane

Andean Condor
    Bald Eagle
    Harpy Eagle
    Martial Eagle
    White-throated Caracara
    Verreaux's Eagle Owl

Children's Zoo

Pygmy Marmoset
    Ring-tailed Lemur
    Siberian Weasel
    Rock Cavy
    Rock Dove
    Green-billed Toucan
    European Otter
    Styan's Red Panda
    Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
    Spider Monkey
    Echidna
    Spiny Mouse
    African Dormouse

Sumatran Rhino
    Indian Rhino
    Black Rhino
    African Elephant/Asian Elephant

Bat-eared Fox
    Giant Anteater
    Northern Margay
    Black-footed Cat
    Central Chinese Goral
    Dall's Sheep
    Chamois
    Rocky Mountain Goat
    Striped Hyena
    Red River Hog
    Arabian Wildcat
    African Civet
    Kenyan Serval
    Amur Leopard Cat
    Chinese Bharal
    Snow Leopard
    Chinese Wolf
    Jaguar
    North Chinese Leopard
    Persian Leopard
    Javan Rhinoceros Hornbill
    Cuban Hutia
    Crested Porcupine
    Aardwolf
    African Lion
    Polar Bear
    Sloth Bear
    Brown Bear
    Spectacled Bear
    Corsac Fox
    Greater Grison

Sun Bear
    Aviaries - I must have been rushed in the Sun Bear Forest area (I recall the Lion-tailed Macaque and Binturong, as well as at least one Asian woodpecker species in the smaller aviaries around)

Goat Canyon

Dhole
    Bactrian Deer
    MacNeill's Deer
    Nilgiri Tahr
    Nubian Ibex
    Thorold's Deer
    White-tailed Deer

Horn & Hoof Mesa - apologies, this must have been as I realized I was running out of time (this was a field trip as part of a summer program, and I remember getting so engrossed in the zoo as I wandered around that I rushed through large areas of the zoo at the end, frantically scribbling down what I could)...

Bongo
    BantengCentral European Wild Boar
    Cuvier's Gazelle
    Tufted Deer
    Wood Bison
    Sichuan Takin
    Wallaroo
    Grey Kangaroo
    Przewalski's Horse
    Arabian Oryx
    Southern Pudu
    Mountain Anoa
    Brindled Gnu
    Cape Buffalo
    Damara Zebra
    Beisa Oryz
    Dorcas Gazelle
    Mhorr Gazelle
    Masai Giraffe
    Corsac Fox
    Banded Mongoose
    Okapi
    Meerkat
    Guanaco
    Bactrian Camel
    Slender-horned Gazelle
    Scimitar-horned Oryx
    Sika Deer, Muntjac
    Mexican Red Brocket, Horned Screamer
    Greater Kudu
    Babirusa, Stork (species not noted)
    Kenyan Impala
    Bawean Deer

also - from my pictures, though missing from my notes (which, as noted, are incomplete) - Calamian Deer, Russian Saiga, Mesopotamian Fallow Deer, Mishmi Takin, some species of wallaby, some species of wild goat, probably more

The aviaries leading into Goat Canyon are somehow missing from my notes as well (I'm fearing that one page from my notebook may be gone entirely) held, among others, Micronesian Megapode, Cabot's Tragopan, and Chinese Monal.

I know that I was in too much of a hurry to hit the Kiwi house, and lacked time to take adequate notes around the Koalas (noted several species of lories) or in the Hummingbird Aviary.

I did get one additional row of small exhibits:

Belanger's Tree Shrew
    Bay Owl
    Hedgehog (species unknown)
    Prevost's Squirrel
    Bornean Prevost's Squirrel
    African Ground Squirrel
    European Red Squirrel
    Pheasant Pigeon
    Raggiana Bird of Paradise
    White-headed Hornbill
    Spectacled Owl

Also, I have a picture taken of an exhibit in one of the canyons (probably Bear Canyon), with a South American Sea Lion (temporary looking exhibit).

Sorry the notes from the end of the day were so incomplete - frustrating to me. I know I took hundreds of pictures (which was a much more difficult task in the days before digital cameras - I know I had to buy film there as I ran out), but many of them are lost to time or one of the many moves I've made since then.

This was the summer I was 16, working on statistical modeling of northern spotted owl populations at the UCSD (which later became the basis for my senior thesis in college, where expanded into computer modeling of mountain gorilla populations), and while I did not take notes at the other institutions, I also managed to get to Sea World San Diego (when the waterfowl collection there was much larger), Scripps Aquarium, and the San Diego Wild Animal Park. For a young zoo nerd, it was a formative experience - prior to that trip, I'd been only to my local zoos: Cleveland, the Akron Zoo (where I had actually volunteered the entire summer before), Sea World of Ohio (where I later worked for two summers), Columbus, and a few I hit on family vacations: the National Zoo, Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoos in Chicago, and Busch Gardens Tampa.

This 1 day trip to the San Diego Zoo, though, was truly the beginning for me - I made it a quest to hit major zoos whenever I traveled. I remember that one day so well - especially the thrill of seeing species I had no idea were even held in captivity in the U.S., such as Bawean Deer and Oriental White Storks (both long absent from North American collections). This was the time before wild pigs were found in many US collections - red river hogs and wild boars were almost entirely absent (as I recall, for years there was a fear of disease and almost no suids could be imported to this country - anyone know more about this?).

Fortunately, I was able to make a return trip to the San Diego Zoo the following summer (I hope I someday run across the notebook I had on that trup), when I was able to spend enough time to cover the entire zoo...and then 10 years later, when I returned during the summer of 2001 (I had since dispatched with making my own lists...), but it's been a long 14 years and I've yet to see the oft-maligned Elephant Odyssey or any of the other new exhibits added since (though the database on ISIS and, in the past year, the forums here) have allowed me to keep up. Hope to get back soon.

7. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great list! I had posted my San Diego Zoo lists from the past on a Giant Eland photo of mine, but figured I could have them here as well for easier locating:

1999 Mammals Only:

Horn and Hoof Mesa:
    Barbary Red Deer
    Bantang w/ Eurasian Wild Boar
    Dorcas Gazelle
    Calamian Deer
    Common Duiker
    Chacoan Pecary
    Reeve's Muntjac
    Mara w/ Golden-rumped Agouti
    Zulu Suni
    Giant Forest Hog or Bush Pig
    Takin
    Giant Eland w/ Black-faced Impala
    Mhorr Gazelle
    Red River Hog
    Lowland Anoa
    Beisa Oryx
    Forest Buffalo
    Curviar's Gazelle w/ Reeve's Muntjac and Warthog
    Damara Zebra
    Gerenuk
    Giraffe
    Bearded Pig
    Steppe Polecat
    Banded Mongoose
    Bawean Deer
    Russian Saiga
    Mesopotamian Fallow Deer
    Urial

African Kopje:
    Klipspringer
    Dwarf Mongoose
    Rock Hyrax
    South African Ground Squirrel

Goat and Sheep Canyon:
    Japanese Serow
    Snow Sheep
    Dall's Sheep
    Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
    Mountain Goat
    Central Chinese Goral
    Spanish Ibex
    East Caucasian Tur
    Warthog
    Bharal (next to big cats)

Big Cat Canyon:
    Striped Hyena alternated with Siberian Lynx
    Snow Leopard
    Jaguar
    North Chinese Leopard
    Persian Leopard
    African Civet
    Caracal
    Fossa
    Corsac Fox
    Tayra

Elephant Mesa/Australia:
    African Elephant
    Asian Elephant
    Black Rhino
    Common Duiker
    Baird's Tapir
    Yellow-backed Duiker
    Feathertail Glider
    Wild Cat
    Banded Mongoose
    Margay
    Meerkat
    Lowland Anoa
    Indian Fruit Bat
    Rwenzori Mountain Fruit Bat
    Soemmerring's Gazelle
    Parma Wallaby
    Tasmanian Devil
    Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
    Koala
    Tiger Quoll
    Francois Langur
    Bactrian Camel

Bear Canyon:
    Lion-tailed Macaque
    Bingturong
    Malayan Sun Bear
    Alaskan Brown Bear
    Manchurian Brown Bear
    Lion
    Eurasian Otter
    Spectacled Bear

Children's Zoo:
    Pygmy Marmoset
    Red-ruffed Lemur
    Brown Spider Monkey
    Gunther's Dik Dik
    Red Panda
    North American River Otter
    House Mouse
    Naked Mole Rat
    Madagascar Streaked Tenrec (Can't believe I didn't see or photograph this! Don't even remember writing it down!!! Had no idea how rare in zoos these were/are)
    Mountain Tapir

Primate Mesa:
    Douc Langur
    Colobus Monkey
    Owl Monkey
    Lesser Spot Nosed Guenon
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    L'host's Guenon
    Gelada
    Drill
    Spider Monkey
    Paca
    Ratel
    Various Marmosets/Tamarains
    Gorilla
    Bonobo
    Orangutan
    Siamang

Tiger River/Ituri Forest/Panda Canyon:
    Fishing Cat
    Malayan Tapir
    Slow Loris
    Lesser Mouse Deer
    Malayan Tiger
    Okapi
    Hippo
    DeBrezza Guenon
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    Schmidt's Spot-nosed Guenon
    Spot-necked Otter
    Forrest Buffalo
    Bush Pig
    Red River Hog
    Bongo
    Panda
    Tufted Deer

Polar Bear Plunge:
    Polar Bear
    Arctic Fox
    Siberian Reindeer
    Siberian Yellow-throated Marten

Hunte Amphitheater Show:
    North American River Otter
    American Badger
    Kinkajou
    Clouded Leopard
    Cheetah

pachyderm pro likes this.
  8. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And here's a list my dad wrote down in 1989 of the species that corresponded to the photos we took (really horrible photos, I was 6 years old and taking half of them haha). Wow even back then I only showed interest in mammals haha.

1.) Wallaby
    2.) White Koala
    3.) Scimitar horned Oryx
    4.) Slender Horned Gazelle
    5.) Guanaco
    6.) Rock Hyrax
    7.) Bawean Deer
    8.) South African Sringbok & Kenya Impala
    9.) Celebes Babirusa
    10.) South African Ostrich
    11.) Lowland Nyala
    12.) Mhorr Gazelle