Join our zoo community

Time?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Meaghan Edwards, 14 Mar 2010.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Is there any particular time you prefer to visit your zoo at? In the summer, I like going towards either early, right when it opens and the animals are waking up and it's not too hot out, or towards the end of the day when it's cooled down and the crowds have thinned out. In the tourist season dies down, anytime is good.

2. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I go to zoo year round so temperature concerns aren't really an issue for me. Especially on the East Coast, zoos know their temperature restrictions and plan zoo exhibits accordingly.

I like to get there when it opens. Has nothing to do with the zoo but rather with the fact that I am likely to spend the whole day there. If I go too late, I won't get to see everything I want to. My home zoo, the Bronx Zoo, opens at 10 and closes at 4 or 5 (depending on season). Having been there well over 100 times now, I can get to the zoo at opening and finish with the zoo around 3. If I tried to go any later though, I'd have missed half of my zoo loop!

I also like getting that early as most people aren't there yet. Good time to go through the exhibits that are likely to get crowded and annoying (like Jungleworld at the Bronx Zoo or the Nocturnal House at Cincinnati, etc.).