Join our zoo community

Tim's Zoo concept arts

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by PicanBird, 20 Jan 2018.

1. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I will be claiming a little thread here to share my concept arts/ideas for fantasy zoo's but also existing zoo's. I will add new artworks/concepts over time whenver I have the time to draw.

Royal Burgers' Zoo (Arnhem, Netherlands) | Burgers's Outback
    [​IMG]

Here I used the existing map to add a new concept to it what I thought was missing, the australian area.
    You can enter through two ways. If we were to enter via the Ocean's exit you would start with a big rock archway where you take your first steps into the Outback. Right infront of you is a a group of trees that blocks your view over the main enclosure of this area.
    This area seems to be decorated with red sand/gravel and small rocks and smaller vegitation.

We decide to walk to the left and slowly a big flatland starts to appear in a typical redstoneísh rocky desert with some trees spread out.
    This flatland contains the Emu and the Red Kangaroo. In the back you can see a rock wall that seems to be the night enclosures for the animals. On our left are a few aviaries with smaller birds such as the kea, rose-breasted cockatoo and the kookaburra. These species are currently already in the zoo, being held in the birdhouse.
    As we move along there is another enclosure on our left which seems to hold a couple of southern cassowary.
    We decide to circle around the flatlands we get to the 'house of australia'. We enter in a slightly dark area. You could tell it was meant to be dawn there. This room holds a walkway with a pit. The pit holds nice voliage and some trees. This area holds queensland koalas!
    From there we enter some sort of 'in-between-room' which is even more dark than the dawn-like room before. We've entered the nighthouse. It seems to be themed as a forest with low wooden-fences on both sides. This area holds a few creatures native to australia and new-zealand. Such as the Northern Brown Kiwi and the sugarglider. The house holds also other creatures less-free roaming such as a brush-tail possum. Once we move on towards the exit there is another transition-room to again a dawny area. This time it shows a another pit but by looking down you can barely tell but it houses the short-nosed Echidna.

That is the end of the area and you can enter the ape-indoor area and walk towards the birdhouse.

I will add more concepts and art over time, if you have ideas/feedback/suggestions please leave them in the comments of this thread. I would love to learn how to improve.

2. PicanBird

Concept done in Photoshop on a quick design. Have yet to practice detailing and such. feel like theres lots to improve there.

Click the tumbnails to open the bigger version
    ©Timmiegun

upload_2018-1-20_21-37-41.png
    upload_2018-1-20_21-38-25.png

TNT likes this.
  3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are awesome Tim. I have been thinking about doing a thread like this but the problem is thee is too much choice when it comes to designing a fantasy zoo :p

I do however, have plenty ideas for Chester Zoo which I have discussed in threads from last year.

4. PicanBird

haha, I basicly started with the idea of like adding a noctural house. But realized they were lacking the Australian animals so decided to focus on that. But i would love to see your designs!

5. PicanBird

Been a while since I've done something, decided to one-up my concept for Burgers Zoo to a renewed park. The reason for this is I've noticed the park has been shrinking on species to create new projects. However that also takes away the time I spend at the park sadly.

The concept shows a few new areas and an update to the Bush and Safari!

Burgers' Zoo Masterplan (fanmade)

TNT, Loxodonta Cobra and lintworm like this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here the picture from the link:

[​IMG]

It is amazing how you manage to fit in your own concepts with the existing zoo map.

I like the idea of having a cat, tapir and Harpy (?) eagles next to the Mangrove. I do however not agree with moving the Chimpanzee and Gorilla to the Safari section, which should have an E-African savanna focus. A Tundra zone seems likely at some point in the future, but then I would also move the ringed seals there ;).

I am also all in for a Asian mountain zone, but then without the Yak, but with Goral, Takin, Yellow-throated marten and Snow leopards. If they can renovate the old style Hagenbeck rocks and incorporate them into the new zone, that would be awesome. The elephants should leave the zoo then ;).

Personally I would keep the Gorilla and Chimp where they are and make a Congo theme out of it and get a Doue style aviary for the pygmy hippo, Bongo, Duiker and then new guenon species and a plethora of rainforest birds (so not all the Savanna birds in the Blijdorp okapi aviary....) on the place of the current bird house, Flamingo aviary and what is now behind the scenes. The Gorilla should then get a new indoor enclosure at the back of their island and their current indoor enclosure incorporated with the current one for chimps.

I sometimes get jealous when I see pictures of the Savanna in Boras where they have African elephants on them. So imo they could split up the current savanna and move the rhino to the other side and get Elephants in their part. The other hoofstock should still be able to move freely between the parts off course ;). But this is all wishful thinking. It is more likely that at one point we do indeed see some enclosures aviaries added for smaller birds and mammals there...

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  7. PicanBird

I was thinking on keeping the safari east african and create a congo area, however safari indicates african tours quite often. So a congo area would indeed be awesome. The thing is that the way I designed it this way we could also cover madagascar with lemurs and fossa.

Honestly I would not get rid of the elephant as thats something iconic to Burgers. Eventhough I dont even visit them that often during my visits. Why replace it with african elephants?

The mangrove is extended to indeed having the birdhouse and bigger mammals. The Tapir, Ocelot and Harpy would fit the area to represent the animals that live in that area aswell. The big indoor part of the mangrove covers the smaller animals in that area. I also added white faced saki into the mangrove itself as they would mainly go in the bigger trees and eat fruit.

The tundra area would indeed have the seal, good thinking.

The peaks area was meant for smaller animals as the snowleopard needs quite some space and that area (as it is right now) does not have the space they need. Goral and Marten would be cool. However the yak is nice and simplistic. I used that area for the asian mountains as they already have the rocks that could fit them with a little renovation. Red Panda and smaller hoofstock in the current meerkat enclosure would make it a nice enclosure that people have to go to.

Did you agree with my choice to add a little small animal house featuring small reptiles and bugs?

Anything else I should concider for a v2?

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, I think if you’re moving the seals over to Tundra you should have that area plus where the coatis currently are for snow leopards :p you could go through the Hagenbeck rocks to give them the space?

9. lintworm

This is something that Burgers' just won't do, as it doesn't really fit their idea of recreating ecosystems... And I think the reindeer area is also too small for Rhino, though Tapir might fit. Or they could move the Langur there....

10. PicanBird

Oh thats smart like a little cave! However where would the coati go?

11. PicanBird

Blijdorp the indian rhino does not have that much space either.
    But I have to agree on it not fitting their idea of ecosystems. However they lack these kind of animals so bad!

I also reworked the bush on this image to a typical south american bush (to give it a more specific area) And let sloth roam the bush and replace the aardvarks in there with anteaters.
    No idea what the otters could get replaced for!

12. lintworm

Down the drain :p, they are the wrong species anyway (new EU legislation...) and not endangered anyway.

13. PicanBird

Poor coati!

14. PicanBird

@lintworm But now I am wondering: why get rid of the Asian Elephants

15. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very nice work! A few things:

As said, that's just not how Burgers' does things. I image a few vivariums could be incorporated in other exhibits, but a new building would go against what the zoo stands for.

The Bush is already devided in geographic zones, at least (most of) the plants and the animals in exhibits, free-ranging species naturally don't care. I also don't think the aardvark exhibit is that great for anteaters. Besides, sloths would damage the ceiling (or so I've heard).

The group is already destined to die out. Burgers' is not allowed to move them out the collection or to breed. I don't think they have bred in recent years, so within decade most if not all of them will be gone.

16. PicanBird

The sloth could be fixed with a net maybe?
    Also the both is only slightly designed in a few zones but it makes it a bit weird compared to all other areas in the zoo as the desert is north america, mangrove is northern watery south america, safari east africa, rimba is south east asia.

I agree on the few vivariums.
    Sad to hear that on the coati!

17. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I must ask: Which program did you use to make this? And where did you find those animal pictures? They are very well made, and i really love the concept.

18. PicanBird

Paint.net used the line tool a lot, I just love how paint.net uses that tool, other programs should start using that method aswell!
    All the images of animals are either currently on their map/in the zoo, or looked at transparent images of the animals on google. However scaling them down on paint.net really makes them less pretty!

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  19. PicanBird

Question:
    What kind of enclosure should I design in 3d and map (Basicly full concept)

20. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you planning on making another concept of a exsitining zoo, or making a fantasy one?