Join our zoo community

Tips and help in the processes of starting a reptile zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by One eyed, 27 Jan 2020.

1. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

Definately not we've got three. I'd dispose of them personally all aggressive. I've heard and seen on forums that they tend well heavily stocked. But not willing to test this. Personally don't like the looks of them.

Semi related, one of our bhp hatchlings we kept back last year. So it's about 2 years now is the most aggressive snake we have by a country mile for me. My partner who is only new at it handling snakes can pick him up and he is the biggest puppy they're besties. Where one of my red belly I have on display, she's a sweetheart for me but hates anyone else doing anything near her. Waits for me even. So it's funny how typical norms are sometimes not the case. Alot of it too is people say species are amazing to get sales when in reality they're Pains in the backside, like our green tree python super aggressive difficult and from my experience very rarely tame down but people worship them as good first time snakes

2. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

Feeding time for alot of them today will get a picture and send via pm for you. Don't mind the racks most of ours are kept in tub systems under lock and key (space considerations and legal issues) partly why am keen to get it all done and open and they can have space.

But here is my little guy in lounge even though he hates me I still adore him such lovely colouring patterns .

Attached Files:

Batto likes this.
  3. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

Does anyone else have a fully fledged cafe in there exhibits/zoos or just a food van kind of thing. Worth it or not ? Depending on foot traffic

4. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’d say when just starting out a cafe won’t be worth it, you’d most likely need some snacks and possibly buy in premade sandwiches but if you don’t have a high visitation it would most likely cost you more than it’s worth, especially in non-peak times

5. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

My idea was to have the cafe as a fully fledged stand alone. Particularly weekend trade with clubs etc they're always cruising past our house (bikes and car clubs) so have it as a stand alone. And then they can also serve inside aswell. Do a spend x at cafe get discount entry or get x meal at cafe with entry

6. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Just because someone likes to create different morphs, and then make money from selling them does not, (in my opinion), make this a good practise. As for what you are trying to achieve-- I wish you every success in your venture.

7. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

My opinion on morphs are if it’s possible to occur in the wild and doesn't harm the animals ability to survive in a captive environment it’s fine to breed. I always prefer natural colours though.

8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't say it's always a good practise - I explicitly stated
    However - you asked for a reason, and you were given reasons why people breed reptile morphs (i.e. money and an individual sense of beauty) Whether you personally like or dislike this, is another matter.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2020
    Terry Thomas likes this.
  9. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Good enough!

10. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

So after you mentioned this I contacted the economic development they helped immensely but more importantly passed me onto another individual who I would love to name and bring attention to how awesome he was but wants to remain a little more anon. But key updates council is now happy about it all (although some aspects they said we were a little to over the top) but now the are in process of showing our development proposal ( we will be erecting a sign on our farm soon too ) to see if anyone disagrees. I know one neighbor will but hey everyone will get some negatives. So the ball has drastically started to roll. They dislike my family for our animal training, and we breed a few animals they're animal activists always been a issue since they bought it haha.

Now on the note of animals. Some frogs and tortoise I am in the process of importing. I know this takes a long time but importantly was able to import on a wildlife exhibitors licence go figure is asked previously and been told no now I am. So in about 5 months should have quite a expanded collection. Thank you everyone for help and support

TNT, animal_expert01 and MRJ like this.
  11. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

Hi everyone, a little update to how it's all going and progressing. Prior and during the initial stages of covid (yaay for also been stuck overseas before I could return) I spent quite some time at a few facilities getting "up to date" experience with a few exotic reptiles, tortoises and mammals and big cats. Was definitely a eye opener coming purely from a large reptile collection to seeing behind scenes on breeding and state of the art care.

My plans at home to start up a facility have more then been quashed to many objections. But I am on the search for a suitable location. Covid has put a massive hit onto my families business and alot of the money I've saved and built up for zoo went into that to save it. I have however built my partners nursery business up and we have some animals on display there to dabble my toes into water learning how government makes silly decisions in regards to animals.

Moving forward I am to still open a facility once find a location, my ideal animal list has however changed and I have begun process for importation for snakes only. Have decided to not rush into a facility just to have exotics come into it later. Ideally and for biosecurity and well security exotics will have prime spots among those reasons and others. So now it's just down to that long winded processes and finding a new location without to much hostility towards facility. If anyone has tips with how to smooth it over with those difficult haters I very much appreciate the help. I am extremely lucky that one facility I was at is willing to help the export import process and supply the animals and anti venom needed.

More updates to come, likely be more often now. Dedicating quite some time to this now

12. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good luck. Still looking forward to that inland taipan morph pic. ;)

13. One eyed

One eyed Active Member

Ah yes I completely forgot about posting that picture, shameless plug will be posting a YouTube video on a few of my rare colour morphs. Will put picture up by end of today for ya when I go feed snakes I'll grab a picture

Batto likes this.