Join our zoo community

TNO chimps - where are they now?

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by ShonenJake13, 10 Aug 2016.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So a couple of years back I learnt of the TNO, and their experiments with chimpanzees. I further discovered that, in the early 2000s I believe, they formally stopped keeping the chimps and decided to send them to zoos and rescue centres to live out the rest of their lives. This got me thinking...ten years after this occurrence, where are they now?

So, having done a little research as to their whereabouts, this was the situation (compiled from recent info and from info from 2014) (THIS LIST ONLY COMPRISES THOSE RESCUED FROM THE TNO, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE PREVIOUSLY TRANSFERRED/LOANED CHIMPS)

Almere (AAP) = 16 males (Oscar, Zeef, Bie, Erik, Laurens, Tijs, Ton, Noah, Joost, Huub, Fuad, Fauzi, Zorro, Kenny, Juus, Tomas) and 10 females (Maja, Phil, Peggy-Sue, Ono, Femma, Marjo, Sylvia, Karlien, Iris, Willy)

Aywaille (Monde Sauvage Safari) = 3 females (Gerda, Wendy, Patty)

Basel (Zoo) = 2 females (Fifi and Kitoko)

Copenhagen (Zoo) = 2 males (Carl, Yoran) and 2 females (Cindy and Marti)

Dublin (Zoo) = 1 male (Marlon) and 1 female (Pia)

Edinburgh (Zoo) = 3 males (Rene, Paul, Frek) and 6 females (Pearl, Eva, Sophie, Lianne, Heleen, Edith)

Hilvarenbeek (Safaripark Beekse Bergen) = 8 males (Socrates, Dennis, Gert-Jan, Daan, Wakili, Pat, Wouter, Sanne) and 11 females (Anna-Clara, Marlies, Lenny, Centa, Linda, Nadine, Joke, Michelle, Marijke, Fangina, Martje)

Krakow (Zoo) = 1 female (Jacqueline)

Leipzig (Zoo) = 2 males (Robert, Frodo) and 8 females (Fraukje, Corrie, Riet, Natascha, Dorien, Jahaga, Sandra, Alexandra)

Liberec (Zoo) = 1 female (Ingrid)

Magdeburg (Zoo) = 1 male (Wubbo)

Mierlo (Dierenrijk) = 2 males (Frits and Dirk) and 5 females (Caroline, Sonja, Jana, Christa, Pepa)

Odense (Zoo) = 1 male (Ricardo) and 3 females (Agneta, Amanda, Franka)

Ostrava (Zoo) = 1 male (Vincent) and 2 females (Ulla, Annet)

Romagne (La Vallee des Singes) = 5 males (Bastiaan, Jorg, Conan, Wonder, Roy)

Stralsund (Zoo) = 1 female (Claudette)

Wareham (Monkey World) = 3 females (Valerie, Eveline, Marjoline)

Warsaw (Zoo) = 1 male (Patrick) and 1 female (Kimberly)

This leaves the following totals per country:

Netherlands = 52
    Germany = 12
    Scotland = 9
    Denmark = 8
    France = 5
    Czech Republic = 4
    Belgium = 3
    Poland = 3
    England = 3
    Ireland = 2
    Switzerland = 2

I hope this is interesting to some, and if anyone is up to the tremendous task of helping me see if each collection is up to date, that would be very welcome :') if it helps I know that the entries for Wareham, Romagne, Ostrava, Leipzig, Edinburgh and Dublin are definitely up to date.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2016
    JurassicMax likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder why Monkey World took a few as they have so many of their own already. Maybe they wanted to balance up one of their groups better, or would they like to have taken more if space permitted perhaps??

3. ShonenJake13

At the time they rescued a fourth female too, Joline, but maybe they were already full up. If memory serves me correctly all four went to the nursery for a while and I suppose that it would have been too much trouble to take any more in from the TNO. That or they had all already been given places to go

4. ShonenJake13

EDIT: Wakili in Beekse Bergen came from Basel, not the TNO.

This leaves 102 of the original 134 rescues that remained in Europe and that did not go to Yerkes, India or China.

The original 134 included 60 males and 74 females, and the earliest rescues that remained in Europe were in 1989. The 90s and early 2000s were when the majority were transferred out of the TNO.

Of these 134, 18 males and 14 females have passed away, the most recent one being Jos from La Vallée des Singes who passed away earlier this year.

It is also interesting to note that of these 134, one was listed as either of the eastern or central, one as of the eastern, 18 as non-subspecific and a whopping 114 as of the western subspecies. The individual of the unknown subspecies, 7 of the non-subspecifics and 24 of the westerns have passed away.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the TV show said that they'd deliberately taken young females to discourage the lab from breeding anymore Chimps