Join our zoo community

Toddy and Zoos.dk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toddy, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Hello to you all!
    My name is KÃ¥re, but you can just call me Toddy :). I come from Denmark, and i am a real zoo/animal-enthusiast. First of all, let me tell you what a great forum you have here!

I run the danish website Zoos.dk, where you can find reviews and photos from most of the various zoos i have visited. You can also se what animals live in the danish zoos, and where, and read about the best animal exhibits i the country. Sadly, it is only in danish so far :(. I am working on a new website (still zoos.dk), with new features and other stuff, and i am considering translating some of it into english (picture texts, point scales for zoos, parts of the reviews, etc.). Tell me what you think!

And if you have any questions about danish zoos, dont hesitate to ask!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Welcome Toddy - great to have you here.

Where are the zoos that you've visited ? All in Europe, or have you also visited Australia/USA/Asia etc ?

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

I love this forum and I hope you'll enjoy it too!!

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Sadly, i have never been outside of Europe :(. But i have seen 54 zoos here, in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Holland, Belgium and England :)

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to have you on board! Welcome to the most international zoo forum around :)

What have you seen in Holland? I'm thinking of going to see Denmark anywhere soon but it's a pretty expensive country compare to some of the other options...

6. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

In Holland i have seen ARTIS Amsterdam, Rotterdam Zoo, Burgers Zoo and Ouwehands Dierenpark. This summer, i'm going to see Salzburg Zoo, Alpenzoo Innsbruck, Munich Zoo, Augsburg Zoo and Nürnberg Zoo, and later Cologne Zoo, Duisburg Zoo, Dortmund Zoo, Wuppertal Zoo and Frankfurt Zoo. Next year, i am hoping to return to Holland and se Emmen Zoo and Apenheul. Are there any other Dutch zoos you would recomend?

Yes, i think that Copenhagen is the second most expensive capital in Europe. But should you choose Denmark, i would definatly recommend seing Copenhagen Zoo, Odense Zoo and Randers Rainforest Tropical Zoo.

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The other reasonably large zoos in Holland are Safaripark Beeks Bergen (somewhere around 13 white rhino's...) and Amersfoort Zoo. Amersfoort is very nice and i haven't visited Beekse Bergen yet, but as far as i heard it's pretty good.

If you like sea-mammals you should definately see Dolfinarium Harderwijk. It's really expensive, really child-driven and very showlike but their dolphin lagoon with walrus exhibit is enormous and very impressive!

Other smaller zoo's worth mentioning must be Overloon Zoo (supposed to be beautifully landscaped) and Gaiapark Zoo (started in 200...6 i believe and going to expand the coming years.). Also need to mention Wissel Zoo (epe), very small but with a very large collection of marmosets and many dutch zoo-enthousiast combine it in 1 day with Apenheul since both aren't very large and very near together...

Odense, Copenhage and Randers where allready top of my list. Love to see the manatees and taz devils...

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who has been to Beeks Berge, and he says that it is not as much fun without a car, so will probably wait a few years with that. And if you have any more time in Denmark, i would say that you should see Givskud Zoo and Safari, Aalborg Zoo or Ree Park - Ebeltoft Safari. Hope you get here someday :)

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The new Zoos.dk is open!

The new and improved Zoos.dk is now open! :cool:. It has lots of new features, but most interesting for the good people here at ZooBeat, part of it has now been translated into english! This has been done thanks to all the support and nice comments i got here at the forum.

Just log onto Zoos.dk

And click on "In English" in the menu on the left.

Here you can see Animal Databases of the animals found in Danish zoos, plus 10 reviews/descriptions from the biggest zoos in Denmark, with more to come.

See you at Zoos.dk :D

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well done Toddy, it's wonderful.

11. Writhedhornbill

What do you know about the chinese monals?

12. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

In what reference?

@Bongorob: Thanks! :)

13. Writhedhornbill

In the danish zoos (or captivity)

14. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Not much, i'm afraid. They are pretty rare in Zoos though... The only chinese monal registered on ISIS is a male living in San Diego Zoo. However, they have them in the two Danish minizoos, Munkholm Zoo and Vildtfarm Nord. Her is a link to a picture of the one in Munkholm Zoo on my website: Chinese monal

By the way, the Reptile Database on Zoos.dk is up :cool: (both in Danish and English)

15. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Review/description and article writer wanted!

Hello!

With all of the support and nice comments I got on my website Zoos.dk here on ZooBeat, I decided to translate part of it into English. That has been done with success, and ten reviews/descriptions from Danish zoos can now be read, along with Databases of all the mammals, birds and reptiles found in Danish zoos.

Now I would like to take my work further, for the enjoyment of all the zoo fans out there. Maintaining the Danish part of the site is demanding enough, and it’s hard to find time for writing reviews in English also. I am looking for one or more writers for Zoos.dk, from anywhere in the world.

Your job would be to write reviews/descriptions from zoos you have visited, and provide pictures for them as well. Maybe other jobs could be done in the future, when I start more projects on Zoos.dk. You will of course be credited for all the articles and photos you provide. You will provide articles on a regular basis, pending on how fast you can write them.

If you are interested and/or want to know more, just ask in this thread or e-mail me on
    [email protected]

KÃ¥re Jensen AKA Toddy

16. Writhedhornbill

I could do a review of San diego, Los Angeles, Jeresy, Chester, Blackbrook, London, Lille, Alpen zoo (Innsbruck), Basel, Antwerp, Parc Paradisio and Zurich for you as they are the zoos that I've been to most recently. All complete with pictures ( I also have video clips)

17. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Having you connected to my site would be great, as i think your own site is pretty good. I especially like your showcase/article on the Birds of Paradise :). If you like, i could send you an e-mail with more info on how the descriptions should look like? It wont be before until monday though, as i'm going to see some zoos over the weekend.

18. Writhedhornbill

The birds of Paradsie Article was a nightmare to do, as the pictures kept deleting themselves, and the film would not stay on the top of the page. I like that page too. It's probably my favourite page.

I'd quite like an e-mail to help me set it out.

19. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I have just sent and e-mail to your ZooScene e-mail :cool:

20. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Just a note on that: You don't need a car to visit Safari Beekse Bergen. In fact, some animals can only be seen by walking to them! Like the elephants and the three new chimpanzees houses. Once you paid the entrance fee you can choose how the cross the park, by boat (no extra costs), by bus (also for free) or just walking. Or you can mix these three.

I visit your site (fortunately I can read a little Danish), and it is very informative. I hope to see some Dutch zoos one day :D