Join our zoo community

Toddy and Zoos.dk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toddy, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Zurich and Whipsnade are now online :D

Will do San Diego as soon as possible

2. Thomas Geissman

Thomas Geissman New Member

Female pileated gibbon at Randers Regnskov

Dear All,

I am conducting a study on episodic forehead baldness in female pileated gibbons (Hylobates pileatus).

Some female pileated gibbons develop forehead baldness during pregnancy. The hair regrows at some time after parturition (I am uploading a photograph of the Zurich female "Willow" as an example, hoping it will end up at the correct location on this site).

One of these females is "Utsanee", kept at Randers Regnskov since 6 Feb 2001.

In order to find how fast the transitions develop and when exactly they start and end, I am looking for photographs of Utsanee from as many dates as possible.

I have the following request, if I may: Do you have any photographs of the female pileated gibbon "Utsanee" that you would be willing to share? The photos need not be "good", I just need to see the forehead of the female and I need a date for each photograph.

I would greatly appreciate your help. I will not publish any of your photographs. Of course, I would be happy to acknowledge your help in my study and send you a copy of my manuscript, if it can be published.

Many thanks, in advance, for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Geissmann.

Dr Thomas Geissmann
    Anthropological Institute
    University Zurich-Irchel
    Winterthurerstrasse 190
    CH - 8057 Zurich
    Switzerland

Phone: +41-44-635 54 13
    or: +41-44-635 54 11
    Fax: +41-44-635 68 04
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Website: Thomas Geissmann's Gibbon Research Lab. and the Gibbon Network
    Please support the Gibbon Conservation Alliance: Gibbon Conservation Alliance - Index