Join our zoo community

Toledo Zoo Toledo Zoo & Aquarium News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2017.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TigerValley98

3. Nico1130

Nico1130 Well-Known Member

I did not know about the two greenhouses. I really like that idea, but will the tropical one be large enough? I really would love a tropical exhibit that would be comparable to the National Zoo or the Henry Doorly Zoo.

4. TigerValley98

5. Nico1130

They obviously changed some aspects of the master plan. I believe the komodo dragons were suppose to be in one of the resturants near the museum not in the museum. They also didn't mention that they are connecting two greenhouses to the museum. I believe the original plan was to have a large dome-like structure with the new tiger exhibit. I was looking forward to a large rain forest one with the tigers similar to the Henry Doorly Zoo or even the National Zoo. I do like the ideas although of the diversity with the museum.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. TigerValley98

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As per press release the last birth has been some time away in 2003. Toledo Zoo being one of the US zoos with a long history going back in gorilla breeding it is timely. The AZA put some reproductive controls in place after 2003. It seems re-breeding has taken a while to set in again (I assume the resident gorilla females had reproductive implants). It also seems the silverback top dog had not shown any interest in breeding much since (even after the AZA controls came down).

8. Nico1130

I noticed on Toledo Legal News that the zoo will be building a hummingbird exterior holding center. This intrigues me and I am excited to see that they are bringing hummingbirds to the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any visible changes on the rhino exhibit yet?

I assume if they want to transfer over to Indian rhino - talk after rhino Sam's passing this October - it would require some structural indoor and outdoor exhibit changes?

10. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why is it that the Tembo Trail is becoming a geographical mish-mash? I mean, you have Tasmanian Devils replacing Slender Snouted Crocodiles, Indian Rhinos replacing White Rhinos, Bactrian Camels and Yaks replacing Dromedaries, and Grizzly Bears replacing Lions. Wasn't the whole zone supposed to be an African Savanna? Seriously, what were they thinking?

11. Nico1130

It is soecifically made only for African animals. Right now they are in this stage where the new master plan is taking place, so they must acquire new and rarer animals in advance to meet the master plan's needs. For example, acquiring Tasmanian Devils are extremely hard task to do, but they managed to do it for the Exploration Dome, so you have to replace an animal that you can possibly get back in a few years. They have not many changes to the rhino exhibit, so they probably will be sticking with African. The zoo also will be getting lions when the River Dome is complete and the yaks will be moved to the grasslands exhibit. So, the Tembo Trail will be essentially the same with the crocodiles replacing the Tasmanian Devils and the lions replacing the bears within the next 10 years. What I am curious about is what the plan is to replace the hippos when they move to the other side of the zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.