Join our zoo community

Toledo Zoo Toledo Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by SamMetz, 24 Jul 2015.

1. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

According to the newest SSP, Borean Orangutan, Yasmin is pregnant. 25 yr old, Boomer is the father. And young female, Kutai is going to Waco.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2015
  2. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. SamMetz

Yasmin has had her baby. ;)

"The Toledo Zoo is pleased to announce the birth of a male orangutan. Wakil (pronounced Wah-keel) -whose name means “spokesman” in Indonesian- was born in the early evening hours of Thursday, July 23. Visitors can see baby and mother indoors at the Zoo’s Kingdom of the Apes.
    Wakil’s parents are Yaz, 37 and Boomer, 25. Yaz has been at the Toledo Zoo since 2013 and is showing good maternal instincts!"

https://www.facebook.com/TheToledoZoo/photos/pcb.10153154475251647/10153154471251647/?type=1&theater

6. Milwaukee Man

7. Milwaukee Man

8. zooguy5

zooguy5 Well-Known Member

Hood-winked by Toledo Zoo Execs

You want to spend a quarter-million dollars to re-open the tunnel...just so folks can have a nostalgia moment (yelling 'echo' and jumping on the air grate)? Give me a break, Director Sailer!

Last edited: 14 Aug 2015
  9. zooguy5

A Tale of Two Master Plans

Did we get what's needed out of the '05-'15 to justify the spending in the
    '15-'25 plan?

Attached Files:

• list.png
      list.png
      File size:
      762.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Milwaukee Man

Two female grizzly bear cubs will arrive this fall.

Toledo Blade

11. SamMetz

12. SamMetz

I agree, Im not really liking some of the new plans. The tunnel seems like a huge waste of money to me if they don't include a bat exhibit, which is the only reason I would think it would be worth it. If I had to choose going over the bridge or going into a florescent lit tunnel I would choose the bridge with the sunshine every time. This is the first time I've disliked a master plan so much.

I don't know why you would move the hippos when they're an african animal already in a african themed area of the zoo. Why not just expand the Hippoquarium than building a completely new exhibit? Plus where would they even go over in Africa!? Im trying to think about how they will have room for a new hippo exhibit, a new cheetah exhibit, a ropes course, and a feeding decking in an area that really isn't that big of an area.

And the tigers not moving till 2025 is so ridiculous to me. Thats a long freaking time to update one of your top crowd bringing animal exhibits, one that is ALWAYS crowded, especially when you have a breeding pair. I don't know maybe I'm just being an picky zoo nerd but a lot of these plans just seem weird and unnecessary to me.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2015
  13. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's heaps of space across the railroad tracks. With Grizzly Bear, Hippos, and Crocs I see the zoo trying to turn the Africa/Arctic Encounter path into a loop. Their current hippo exhibit just isn't great for them. They are a grazing species with no place to walk except in their barn.

What this zoo desperately needs is a parking garage.

14. zooguy5

BINGO Gerenuk! There's an abandoned field that could have been turned into a parking garage, but former director Baker thought it best to put in solar panels. I'm all for going green, but do what Cincy did and blend solar panels with a parking structure.

#ReThinkThisMasterPlan

15. zooguy5

Amen Brother! I'd like to see the Tigers move to where they want to put this new river exhibit...and the snow Leopards too! That way all the big cats (except for the Lions) will be on the new side of the zoo (including the Cheetahs once they move to Africa) which will be easier for keepers. Then put Manned Wolves into the current Cheetah Valley!!

16. zooguy5

Dear Toledo, Please give Woodsdale Park to the Zoo!

Can the City of Toledo please give Woodsdale Park to the zoo for expansion of the Africa exhibit!?

Attached Files:

17. SamMetz

Sister* :) That would be a good plan but I know the female snow leopard is moving to Syracuse now that her mate has died so I don't know if they even still plan on keeping snow leopards in the collection anymore. And with Courage being the only white lion they have left he might be leaving too, I would think. I would like to see him go to Cinci so he can be with his sister (his only remaining sibling) and her daughter.

18. zooguy5

This is the area (I assume) where they want to put this new River exhibit.

Attached Files:

• riv.jpg
      riv.jpg
      File size:
      289.3 KB
      Views:
  19. SamMetz

I know this is off topic for this certain forum but this is what I really would like to maybe see with an expansion. If Admin wants me to make a separate forum for any ideas Ill make one. ;) But considering that there are huge areas around the zoo that were sale the last time I visited I really surprised none of them haven't been mentioned in the new master plan.

*The yellow area is the assumed area the zoo will be expanding too. It is a big area but tiny compared to the other empty areas surrounding the zoo.

* The green area was a giant, empty, area that was for sale area last october. This area would double the size of the zoo and give the zoo the parking space it needs. When I visited last year I just remember it being this big unpleasant eyesore you saw before you got to the zoo. I honestly thought we were lost, because it just makes it seem like you were in an abandoned industrial park and *pop* theres the Zoo. This is my number one area I would want to see the zoo get but Im not sure what the status of its availability is since last year. And I'm not sure what the black lines are in the upper area, this might mean it was bought and under construction already, but who knows. My idea would be to move the gates and parking either to the top corner towards Prouty Ave or more them farther up Anthony Wayne Trail so you wouldn't have to back track if they like you have to if the gates remand where they currently are. That way the area of the now parking lot, gates, and gift shops could be made into a bigger north american area with the current polar bears, wolves, and seals included in. You could use this area for the new grizzles exhibit and maybe some smaller animals, while giving more space to Africa and the hippos by not taking that space away for the bears like they plan.

* Pink is just a shot in the dark since I don't know if its private property or just woods but it is a huge area that doesn't look to be in use of anyone. But I would rather see the other areas used before an already nature habitat for animals used.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 17 Aug 2015
  20. zooguy5

The zoo now owns part of the green zone you high-lighted. It's the brown field with the solar panels. It was one of the last projects of the Baker administration. The problem is the area between is still private property.

amur leopard likes this.