Join our zoo community

Toledo Zoo Toledo Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by Azamat Shackleford, 28 Jan 2021.

1. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

evilmonkey239 and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Azamat Shackleford

Is there any status update on Toledo’s maned wolves? I haven’t seen them last visit (Im aware they rotated with the dingoes), and I haven’t heard much from the zoo itself.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Azamat Shackleford

Very saddening news. I always enjoyed seeing Lucas during my visits to Toledo, RIP. :(

5. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What a tragedy. I guess they’ve now only got the two elephant cows?

6. Azamat Shackleford

Yup, this means that only Renee and Twiggy remain. I'm assuming they will have to get another elephant to accompany them, since the AZA minimum is 3 elephants (at least for females).

7. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder if Louie will stay at Omaha or move back to Toledo. He does not seem to show interest in breeding the cows at Omaha. There may be some value in having him see now proven breeder Callee interact with the cows, but I don't see both Louie and Callee in the exhibit space together ever when I visit.

8. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

9. Azamat Shackleford

Went to Toledo today, gonna post pics later. The Raptor barn and hellbender pod is closed off, and the reptile house had a few renovations. Quetzalcoatlus statue no longer stands, and the Virgin Islands boa/Puerto Rican crested toad and fox snake exhibits are both gone as well (those displays smack dab in the middle-ish of the sections). Everything else besides Nature's Neighborhood is open, and as usual seems an assortment of animals are on/off exhibit (the pheasantry has a few bird species off-exhibit), and the one aviary that usually holds waldrapp and crowned cranes has snowy owls for the time being.

Also, anyone by chance know what species are in the Conservation and Butterfly labs? They closed by the time we got to the basement of the Promedica Museum.

10. Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico

Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico Well-Known Member

Hello! I actually have an answer to this, as I actually got to ask about it as well as where the cougars were! So, for the maned wolf, they were apparently sent to another zoo. Now, I unfortunatly didn't ask where the maned wolf went, so the next time I'm at the zoo, I'll make sure to ask about where exactly they went. For the cougars, they're currently being kept behind the scenes. Although I'm currently unsure of why they're being kept there. As well as their wombat that they have, and, get this, ( I believe theres 3 of them ) echidnas. I'm actually gonna be a volunteer for the zoo soon as a ZooTeen, so it's possible that I'll soon be able to answer any more questions about the status of some animals for you guys. Hope this helped!

11. Azamat Shackleford

Thanks for the insider information! :) Sad the maned wolves are no longer there, but the echidnas sound real cool (and I cannot wait to see them soon, hopefully)

12. evilmonkey239

Glad to here the cougars are still there, I thought they left like two years ago.

13. Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico

No problem, my guy! I'm gonna be heading back to the zoo soon this Sunday for some ZooTeen classroom training, so I'll also be able to ask about the status of the Japanese Codling, what species of animals are in the conservation and butterfly labs, as well as when the echidnas, cougars, and the wombat will be on display ( again for the cougars ). So if you have any questions that you want me to ask while I'm there, feel free to drop them! But, for the meanwhile, have this. Because when the zoo is closed, they have a net and a few yoga balls over the stingray tank so that the animals don't jump out. 20210210_143113.jpg :)

14. Azamat Shackleford

I actually do have another question: is there any chance the wombat will be displayed anytime soon? I'm aware there's currently no exhibit space for it and so it's behind-the-scenes (unless you hop on the train ride which if I'm aware is closed right now), but are there plans for it in the future?

15. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting. So the zoo like Omaha wants to function as a breeding center for likely Amur tigers. Sounds like a good plan, especially given the drop in births the population has seen.

StoppableSan and evilmonkey239 like this.
  17. evilmonkey239

It seems like parts of the master plan that were proposed back in 2015, like the “river exhibit” that would be home to the hippos and brown bears have been scrapped. The new carnivore exhibit on the north side of the zoo that will apparently house the tigers and at least one species of smaller cat looks interesting. I wonder what’s going to go in the “plains exhibit” next to the new bear habitat. I do remember the master plan from 2015 showing Tiger Terrace overhauled into a grasslands exhibit that would house bison and other prairie animals, I wonder if this is a rework of that.

18. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely some changes. The zoo has more land than their 2015 master plan though buying up surrounding homes and now having the opportunity to relocate its parking lot with its recent purchase. I don't understand the focus on brown bear though, but the zoo brought them in years ago and seems committed. Definitely noticed how the hippo, rhino, and elephant were all ignored. I imagine especially for the elephant program, their are serious questions about its long-term viability. Yet by essentially boxing in the elephants with redevelopment it may very well be a matter of when, not if the zoo is without them.

This is probably a 2 decade plan though, although I imagine the short term priorities seem to be tigers, bears, and parking lot. Then the North parking lot can be redeveloped. Its 8 acres, so that'll provide plenty of room. Ideally the zoo would have built a new elephant complex here years ago, rather than the complex they built. But we can't go back.

19. Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico

So, I have some updates, folks! I got some answers to moat of the questions I asked! So, apparently the zoo isn't planning on displaying the echidnas or the wombat. The echidnas are there for breeding purposes probably, and I'm unsure of what the wombat is being kept in the back for. However, although not shown on that specific master plan sheet, theres actually gonna be some other things thats gonna be for the bears! It's probably gonna be completed on Memorial Day 2022, and theres actually some information about the log in one of the pieces of concept art. So, apparently its called The Sensory Log. And a small child can look through the log while the bears can look right back at them. And apparently the sand pit is gonna have sand that both the bears and the guests share. And theres also going to be a training wall for the bears by Tiger Terrace, I believe? As well as an Education Wall thats going to be restricted for classes or groups. And I also have some information involving that thing o' land the the zoo is about to buy and turn into a parking lot. So, the current parking lot is going to be turned into some greens and exhibits ( not sure when thats happening, nor was I given any information about what kind of exhibits would be in there ). And the current entrance is supposedly going to become a spot for elephants and rhinos. Again, I don't know when this is happening. And theres also gonna be a new exhibit in the mueseum soon by the sturgeons. It'll house some frogs in it, from what I heard. And Keet Retreat is opening back up soon, AKA tomorrow! Thats all I got from today, folks. Hope your as excited as I am!

20. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A new exhibit for elephants and rhinos where the current main entrance is despite Tembo Trail still being a relatively new facility? What would take up Tembo Trail then?