Join our zoo community

Top 30 zoos in Asia and why you should visit them

Discussion in 'Asia - General' started by aardvark250, 8 Jun 2018.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So people here don’t often go to Asia. Most of the members here are European or American. So while @lintworm have done a thread for “Europe's 50 must see zoos”, how about I do one for the lesser known, the Asian zone. This thread will consist of the top 30 zoos to visit in Asia.

However, this is only my personal opinion, and since I don’t have much data, I will based a lot of them on zoochat. So sorry for Pakistan/central Asian country. I don’t really have enough information about zoos in there.

I’ve struggle finding information about all this. Zootierliste is in Europe and there are a lot of review of American Zoo. But for Asian one, not quite. Also, these are all my personal opinion, there are probably much more zoo worth visit but I can’t do them all in 30. So feel free to correct me and shout out your own opinion.

Cambodia:
    1. Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity
    2. Phnom Tamao Zoological Park and Wildlife Rescue Center

China:
    3. Beijing Zoo
    4. Chengdu Zanhuayuan Zoo
    5. Chimelong ocean kingdom
    6. Suzhou Zoo

Hong Kong:
    7. Edward Youde Aviary +HKZBG

India:
    8. Mysore Zoo

Indonesia:
    9. Batu Secret Zoo
    10. Taman Safari
    11. Taman Safari II – Prigen

Japan:
    12. Aqua Totto Gifu
    13. Kaiyukan(Osaka Aquarium)
    14. Numazu deep sea aquarium
    15. Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
    16. Tama Zoo
    17. Toba aquarium
    18. Ueno Zoo
    19. Zoorasia

Malaysia:
    20. Penang Bird Park
    21. Taiping Zoo

Philippines:
    22. Avilon Zoo

Singapore:
    23. Jurong Bird Park
    24. Night safari
    25. River safari
    26. Singapore zoo

South Korea:
    27. Seoul Grand Park Zoo

Taiwan:
    28. Taipei Zoo

Thailand:
    29. Dusit Zoo

Vietnam:
    30. Endangered Primate Rescue Centre

I will post the list first, and then get into detail for each one. If you don't like the list, feel free to say anything about it. I haven't visit much of the zoo and the list is based purely om you guys. I will listen to all of your great opinion.

2. aardvark250

Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity

The Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity, located near the famous Angkor Wat, is rather a rescue center for animals rather than a zoo. The zoo holds rescue animals, and most animals will be released into the wild after that (if the animal can be released into the wild). As a result, the animals list before well not be viewable when you visit them. Their conservation effort is looking great.

There are some rare animals that have (or had) been rescue and live in the zoo. The giant ibis, a critically endangered species from Northern Cambodia, recent arrive in the zoo in February 2018. Other species including White-shouldered Ibis and Greater adjutant is also present. For mammal species, they have Leopard cats and the Malayan Pangolin, as well as some type of primates. They also claimed to have caecilian on the website.

If you want to see native species from Cambodia, this is your place.

Website of ACCB: Angkor Centre for Conservation of Biodiversity - a Kingdom of Cambodia / Goetz Project

Kakapo, TheGerenuk and Pleistohorse like this.
  3. aardvark250

Phnom Tamao Zoological Park and Wildlife Rescue Center

Phnom Tamao, located near Phnom Penh (the capital of Cambodia), is another rescue center as they name suggested. Difference from Angkor? This is much larger. They have tigers, elephants, sun bears , primates and a lot of space. Most of the enclosure looks quite good too. Except for those ABCs, there are still things to offer. The hairy-nosed otter died before, but who said they won’t rescue another one? There seems to have also Sumatran serow and civet. There are also some wild animals wandering around the zoo. Also they seems to have a whole lot of bears.

This zoo and the ACCB can provide a full range of animals, and if you go to Cambodia, I suggested you to go to both of the zoo for a brief view of the wildlife. Again, this is a rescue center and the species might change from time to time. But it is still a good zoo, focusing itself on great conservation value.

Smooth-coated otter exhibit by @devilfish
    [​IMG]
    Pangolin exhibit by @devilfish
    [​IMG]
    Hairy nosed otter in 2013 by @devilfish
    [​IMG]

Website of Phnom Tamao:Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center
    Zoochat gallery:Phnom Tamao Zoological Park and Wildlife Rescue Center | ZooChat

TheGerenuk and devilfish like this.
  4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    A couple of things to note: ACCB can only be visited on relatively brief tours which run once daily on most days. The giant ibis you mention is actually their third, having acquired younger birds in the preceding year (or so).

A large number of zoos are missing from your list; Schmutzer Primate Centre (Indonesia - in Ragunan Zoo) is a significant omission, but also Khao Kheow Open Zoo for Thailand (with maybe Chiang Mai's zoo & night safaris too), SEA Aquarium in Singapore, Zoo Negara for Malaysia, and a number of Indian zoos, although I don't have personal experience for any of these (...yet). ;)

I know it's an opinion list, but there is scope to improve the overall standard :)

5. aardvark250

I know there are still a lot, but i can't include it all. I include zoos that give highlights, and not just quality. Khao khew looks great , but does it provide special for european/american zoochatters?Some really good zoo miss out my list cause they don't have a standout point.

Kakapo likes this.
  6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

An enormous free-flight tropical aviary, some huge enclosures, a very impressive felid complex. Rare taxa on display include flat-headed cat, Fea's muntjac, Lesser bird-of-paradise (if they're still around), Canada lynx, Thai jungle cat, Siamese brow-antlered deer...

aardvark250 likes this.
  7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that you are excluding some of the best zoos in Asia, not just very good zoos without 'a standout point'.

Consider for example @Chlidonias's list (which excludes Japan but otherwise tracks pretty well with what you are trying to achieve): you are missing 14 of his top 20 zoos, 3 of his top five bird parks and 5 of his top 5 aquariums.

If you want to call this thread 'Asia's Must Visit Zoos' then perhaps including Chengdu Zanhuayuan and not Chengdu itself (or the Cube) might be justifiable but as it is these decisions just don't make sense.

8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Khao Khew has Flat-Headed Cat, Fea's Muntjac and Thai Jungle cat! I can't speak for all European/American Zoochatters, but that definitely excites me!

9. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While I like the idea of an Asian version of lintworm’s wonderful European thread - which I assume this is intended to be - I fear you might have overlooked the depth of research, critical thinking and personal experience that been required to make his project what it is. It is far more than cherry-picking zoos from the galleries.

aardvark250 and Brum like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I agree with your post as to how this thread is somewhat lacking but, to be fair, my list is composed solely of the zoos which I have visited. So I don't think it is particularly meaningful saying "the top 20 zoos" [of my list] if it is used in relation to the "top zoos in Asia", if you see what I mean.

I think I've only been to 11 of the 30 listed in this thread.

I am curious as to why Mysore Zoo is considered here to be in the top 30 best zoos in Asia though.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2018
  11. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suggest we hear @aardvark250 out on what he has to say for all these zoos, before immediately discrediting the list he provided. I don't agree with all the collections that made it in previous lists for other continents, but all of those lists did provide a very good overview of the zoos in their respective areas, just as I suspect this list will give a good overview of the Asian zoos even though it doesn't necessarily show my opinion on the matter. Let's not forget a list can always be expanded upon or changed!

dublinlion and Kakapo like this.
  12. aardvark250

I agree that this list could be better. I am sorry that I don't include Khao Kheow and many others. And now I start think about some zoos in the list that weren't as "Must visit" as others, such as probably mysore?I include them cause I want a better view of the zoos in different countries, and mysore is one of the better in India.

Also I'm thinking of changing the title into "30 zoos in Asia to visit". That will probably fit in this thread better.

As I said, I based a lot of them purely on zoochat, and I agree I lack the experience in zoos. I just want to share my opinion.

dublinlion and Kakapo like this.
  13. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed. I will definitely read whatever he says about each of the zoos currently listed. Then maybe work all together to make a final version or to add/remove some facilities.

I think you should do what you intended to do, and then improve it in the end. Maybe don't give any number for now : "Zoos to visit in Asia". You give your opinion on all the one you know and other zoochatters could add some zoos they think is missing.

14. aardvark250

Oh that's actually a good idea. How about this. Everyone said something about the Asian zoo you like (no limit number) and the reason, then maybe get a vote on which 10 or like 20 zoos you like most. Then we can get a overview of like every zoo in Asia in one thread.

15. aardvark250

Beijing Zoo

As the oldest zoo in China and the most species , Beijing zoo have a lot to provide. Of course they have most of the ABCs, but also a lot of rare species that might surprise you. The only zoo in the world to host three kinds of snub-nosed monkey, the Sichuan, Guizhou and Yunnan species are all here. Of course they also have crested ibis, as well as black muntjac.

However, the zoos isn’t that great.. They have gone through some renovations, such as the lion and tiger exhibits. However, most of it are still on the downside, and some are ugly. Their species is also declining. Desert cat, pallas cat, snow leopard….. all have gone from Beijing. Also bad is the city itself. Going in a zoo inside one of the most polluted city isn’t very fun. However, the zoo is still one of the better in China, both in terms of quantity and quality.

There are very extreme opinions about Beijing. Some people said it is notoriously bad, while some thinks it’s not bad as it seems. The glorious age of Beijing have already gone, but it is still worth a visit with those weird-looking monkeys and some rarer species, as well as the historic building inside the zoo, dated back to the Qing Dynasty.

Also there's a aquarium inside the zoo, which have beluga and sturgeon which probably attract some people.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2018
  16. aardvark250

For Chlidonias list, I think I indeed put some of the zoos in the wrong place. However, as @devilfish said Khao Kheow is so good, why Chlidonias place it in 17th?
    As for Beijing and Suzhou, both have very special species, the former one with three species of snub-nosed monkey, and Suzhou with yangtze giant softshell turtle. Also Suzhou have moved to a new place and the quality is better now.

Some zoo I have consider on the list high, for example Naypyitaw and Vinpearl, are dropped down from the list because there are zoos similar and better than them. I can name a few zoos NOT in Asia that are better in quantity and quality.

As for aquarium in Chlidonias list, those aquarium doesn't look so great compare to Japanese one. I think Okinawa and Osaka can rank higher than all of them( in term of large aquarium) , and some of the smaller one, such as Numazu and Totto Gifu, focus themselves on special group, the former in deep sea species and latter in freshwater species, which is not conventional from the big aquarium holding fascinating species. Toba is also on there because of dugongs, african manatees, finless porpoise, commerson's dolphin etc....
    The only aquarium that come close to these Japanese ones is the S.E.A in singapore , from my personal opinion.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Because I visited it in 2006 - over a decade ago - and the reasons why I have it so low are stated in the thread in question.