Join our zoo community

Top Three!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Fresco3, 1 Jul 2017.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I missed my proudest lifeticks! This is a hard one though because I basically chose my top three mammals, birds, etc. based off of my proudest lifeticks for each group. I guess I'll have to pick the rhino, 'amakihi, and tuatara for my tree, but that's very subject to change.

~Thylo

2. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This list has changed quite a bit since I first posted it 2,5 years ago, so I decided to redo it (with a bunch of extra categories). All of them are species/zoos/exhibits I've seen, of course. I added a bit of explanation to the categories that are most important to me.

Mammal species (captive):
    Cat Ba langur, Checkered elephant-shrew, Chinese pangolin

In my previous edition of this topic I also had a langur, elephant shrew and pangolin but I feel like I've now "upgraded" all of those to a subjectively more special species. There's a lot of honourable mentions though, and this list would probably change every other day.

Mammal species (wild): Black-shanked douc, Delacour's langur, Azuero mantled howler

Not sure why, but all of these ended up being primates. I'd say I like Black-shanked and Red-shanked douc about equally, but my observation of Black-shanked douc was much better so that's what made the list. I also really wanted to include Brown-throated three-toed sloth, Moose and Burmese ferret-badger, but thinking back about it all three of these monkeys got me a lot more excited so deserve to be on the list more.

Bird species (captive): Long-wattled umbrellabird, Greater bird-of-paradise, Sickle-billed vanga

I'm sure it was predictable that this list would mainly be made up of cotingas and birds-of-paradise... I limited myself to one each, though, to keep things a bit more diverse. The third slot had to go to a species I never could have dreamed of seeing, so it was between the Sickle-billed vanga and the Cuckoo-roller, both at Walsrode (which coincidentally makes this list Walsrode-only).

Bird species (wild): Resplendent quetzal, Bar-bellied pitta, Eurasian wryneck

I don't have a favourite bird, but if I would it'd be Eurasian wryneck, which is so unique and gets bonus points for it being a species I can see in the wild in Belgium (with a bit of luck!). The other two, I felt, had to be the representatives for my two most birdy holidays to date - Resplendent quetzal was the easy winner for Panama, and while Vietnam was harder to decide for I think it has to be Bar-bellied pitta.

Reptile species (captive): Bornean earless monitor, Domergue’s leaf chameleon, Olive-brown sea snake

Reptile species (wild): Hawksbill sea turtle, Siamese crocodile, Banded krait

Amphibian species (captive): Three-toed amphiuma, Olm, Hellbender

Amphibian species (wild): Alpine newt, Sa Pa spadefoot toad, Rainforest rocket frog

Fish species (captive): Manta ray sp., Black-spotted electric ray, Leafy sea dragon

Fish species (wild):
    Smooth hammerhead, Moray eel sp., Guineafowl pufferfish

Invertebrate species: Trilobite larvae sp. (wild), Vagrant emperor (wild), Chambered nautilus (captive)

Zoos: Zoo Antwerpen, Burgers' Zoo, Weltvogelpark Walsrode

I had originally split this off in Major and Minor zoos, but it felt weird to have 3 minor zoos in this list that I liked less than unlisted major zoos. I think Antwerp will likely be on here for the rest of my life, but perhaps the other two slots will switch - Bronx, Singapore, Night Safari, Jurong, Berlin ZG, Leipzig, Prague and even wildcards like Zlin were all serious contenders for this spot as well.

Exhibits: Burgers' Bush (Burgers' zoo), World of Birds (Bronx Zoo), Open Ocean (S.E.A. Aquarium)

S.E.A.'s Aquarium might be a surprise to some, given that I generally don't pay too much attention to fish, but there's something absolutely magical and humbling about standing in front of a gigantic slice of the ocean and seeing three gigantic manta rays elegantly break the vastness of the water. The Bush is the best representative I could think of for my favourite kind of zoo exhibit (large tropical halls), and World of Birds is the best representative I could think of for my second favourite kind of zoo exhibit (large bird houses).

Guilty pleasures: Red-billed leiothrix, Violet turaco, Bali myna

-

Like most other people in this thread, all of my opinions change very often so you'd likely get another response tomorrow.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2019
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Best mammals in the wild: Colugo, Edible Dormouse, Huge Fruit Bat in the Philippines, need to check what it's actually called.
    Best mammals in zoos: Walrus, Baikal Seal, African Forest Elephant
    I'll have to think long and hard about the other groups......

4. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've chosen to omit some categories as they just don't interest me personally... oops :rolleyes:

Mammal species: Coquerel's sifaka, Spectacled bear, Pygmy hippo.

Bird species: Scaly-sided merganser, Hyacinth macaw, Stellars sea eagle.

Reptile species: Komodo dragon, Blue tree monitor, Fly river turtle.

Zoos: Bristol Zoo, Exmoor Zoo, Paignton Zoo.

Exhibits: World of Wings Aviary at Blackpool Zoo which was formerly Amazonia, Bear Wood at Wild Place Project, Bristol Zoos Ring-tailed and Crowned lemur walkthrough (An unusual choice maybe, but i think its a pretty exhibit).

Guilty pleasure animal: Any Giraffe species, any Otter species, any Sea lion species.