Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Births, Deaths and Transfers 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When the panda's depart Amur Tigers are to return. Likely a breeding pair as that is what the space was originally designed for. Minor modifications were made for the pandas once the zoo learned they were getting a pair.

The previous tigers were Tatiana who died of old age while being displayed in the second Sumatran tiger yard. Well she didnt die on display. She was put down but she was in her late teens and had been deteriorating. Vitali was the male. He arrived a year before the exhibit was closed for reno from Calgary (see plans were originally for tigers since the zoo brought in a new breeding age male). Vitali is the great grandson of Toronto pair Pam and Tonghua. He was transferred to Riverbanks Zoo in North Carolina where he resides with two breeding age females. He has his first breeding recommendation this year so cubs may be on the way in 2016.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2015
  2. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

So the zoo is waiting on a new pair of Amur tigers, and the two in the Sumatran enclosures are indeed Sumatrans?

3. TZFan

Yes the zoo is just waiting for the pandas departure before getting a new Amur pair. I wouldn't be all that surprised if one of the new Amurs came from Granby or Calgary. Granby an elderly female Taiga but it also has breeding pair Mazyria and Jack. While they do not have a breeding rec right now by 2018 they might have another litter ready to go to their new homes. They also have 2 year old cubs Youri and Spoutnik who could be potential breeding males and a 4 year old female Simsa. Jack is the son of Tatiana and Tonghua so Toronto may own some of his cubs. Calgary also has a breeding pair Baikal and Katja though Baikal has hip issues and they are both in their mid teens so breeding could prove difficult. Cubs born in the next year would be ready for placement in Toronto by 2018. They also have Baikal and Katja's 3 year old daughter Kira who could easily be picked up by keepers dropping off the pandas. She doesn't have a rec yet. She is the great grand daughter of Pam and Tonghua so Toronto could very well own her.

And both of the tigers in the Sumatran exhibit are indeed Sumatrans, Hari and Kemala. They would be a breeding pair if Kemala's cycles ever normalize.

4. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The lion cubs will be on display to the public starting Saturday.
    According to an email sent out to the membership list:
    "Starting Saturday, December 19, 2015, the public will have an opportunity to have a glimpse of the four male white lion cubs in their transitioning den. This temporary exhibit serves as an outdoor transitioning den for these young cubs where they will be able to get more exercise, play and explore within a safe and warm environment. It will also provide the very important opportunity for these cubs to socialize and bond with the other adult white lions."

5. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, I now have to rearrange my plans this weekend, see if i can catch a glimpse of these cubs. Does the email give a specific time for the viewing?

6. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I can't believe I left that part out. 11am-2pm daily.

7. cypher

Good to know. Thanks m30t.

8. TZFan

Good to hear the lion cubs will finally get a chance to be adored. Give them a head start before the other little rock stars meet the public. Cypher if you do get to go I would love to see photos of the boys posted to the gallery.

9. cypher

That's the plan TZFan ;)