Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Births, Deaths and Transfers 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo likely kept a very close eye on Er Shun this week as her hormones changed. With such a short window to conceive it was probably best to keep her off display where they could easily get the samples they needed to test as frequently as possible. Now that she has cycled she will likely be back on display soon.

If they hyenas are successful the cub or cubs would be the first born at the zoo. It is possible they will be the first in Canada but I'm not as certain about that.

2. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I just finished looking through my Wild for Life magazine from the zoo. It was really interesting to see how many animals arrived and were born at the zoo since October. I would list all of them, but there are too many.

According to the magazine, five black footed penguin chicks hatched in January and their names are Lafawndun (M), Paco (M), Sharp-Tooth (M), Topanga (F) and Scout (F).

Also, it mentions that a straw coloured fruit bat was born, which is strange because on my zookeeper for a day, the keepers told me that the zoo only had Egyptian fruit bats.

3. TZFan

Bactrian camel, Rebecca, recently gave birth to a stillborn calf. She must be the one everyone has seen with the shaved belly and bandages. I didnt get any details on exactly what happened.

4. TZFan

5. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm new to the site, I live in Kingston and I'm a huge Toronto zoo fan and hopefully a future Toronto Zookeeper. My goal is to learn most of the Animals names in the Toronto zoo! I've done the keeper for a day in the African section- it was amazing! Anyways I look forward to chatting with you all!

6. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. TZFan

Hi Jake welcome!

As the resident name nut I have the most up to date list. I will re post the most current info I have. Any additions or subtractions you have are welcome. Just check the link cypher provided.

Further more if you want to know about any past individual animal or history of a species at the zoo please feel free to ask me. I have a master list including just over 50 species of mammals and birds (only reptile with complete history I have are the Komodos). Anything you want or need just ask and I will see if I have it or can scrounge it up.

Look forward to your contributions in the future.

8. Jake.Roberts

Thanks for the Welcoming @cypher & @TZFan, do you by chance have the names of the new Watusi's and Wildebeest?

9. TZFan

Check the name thread. I have them listed there.

10. zeynep

zeynep Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks like Kiko is on his way North.

11. cypher

Got one of those email promos from Toronto Zoo today. Mentions that the new Kangaroo Joey is a female to mother Josie and father Robbo. They estimate her date of birth to be April 2014. No word on a name selection.

12. Jake.Roberts

On the Toronto zookeeper Twitter they where calling the new Joey Sydney!

13. cypher

Thanks for that Jake. Don't use twitter, so I wouldn't have caught that.

14. TZFan

On Greenville's facebook page people are commenting that Kiko has indeed departed. They have been watching all day for any signs of him on the giraffe cam and no sign of him. Looks like we will have a rather large arrival sometime tonight or early tomorrow. Keep an eye on the evening news tomorrow. I bet they will announce his arrival.

15. cypher

Assuming Kiko arrives tonight, early to late tomorrow, we can assume a possible late June reveal to the public, again , assuming the quarantine period is 30 days.

16. TZFan

You know what I bet they would love to unveil Kiko Canada Day weekend. Get the biggest bang for their boy.

17. cypher

That would make the most sense, and a smart idea overall. Toronto Zoo needs reasons to get people to visit. After the drop in revenue 2014, they need something to bring in the people.

18. TZFan

A panda cub would do wonders for the next year or two. But other successes in breeding would help like lion or tiger cubs, rhino calves, polar bear cubs. I wish hippo calves were possibilities of either species.

19. cypher

I feel the zoo doesn't always promote some of their non-cub animals enough sometimes. The Wildebeest is a prime example. Spoke to a lot of people that didn't know the Wildebeest are new to the zoo, much less the fact that the zoo had Wildebeest.

Animals that aren't thought of big draws aren't really advertised. Wildebeest being the prime example in recent times.

20. TZFan

Very true about the zoo failing to promote new arrivals. Heck they spent all that money on the Eurasian Wilds but haven't advertised it yet that I know of beyond members publications. They could do a much better job getting people who aren't already fans excited.

But that really raise a bunch of other issues with the zoo. They don't promote themselves well (haven't seen a single commercial yet this spring). They never announce new species arrivals in a big way and often don't even mention significant births. Did anyone read a news article about the penguin chicks? There was barely any mention of Luke and Leia last year. The 2014 lemur twins could have been more of a draw if people knew they could see them and Nneka. The list goes on. The zoo could seriously use a new website with blogs or articles from the keepers themselves (or writers pretending to be the keepers), pictures of the animals who actually live at the zoo and WEBCAMS. I could go on...