Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Births, Deaths and Transfers 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm all in for voting for a 'V' name to keep the tradition going.

2. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

Toronto Zoo Twitter "there's a new camel in town, meet Suria" photo included.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Suria is from Granby and is slightly younger than Jozy. They are the future breeders of the herd now the Sally and Rebecca are no longer candidates due to their difficult last pregnancies. The zoo is also in search of a new breeding male but so far no luck.

4. TZFan

Sad news then happy news...

Boa constrictor Cleo was put down April 14th.

Ok end of sad news...

6 cabot's tragopan have arrived from a private breeder. There are 3 of each gender. I would suspect the goal is breeding. Where will they go? No clue.

Black footed ferret, Sparkle, has had 4 kits.

For some reason the zoo as acquired 20 guinea pigs.

Best news of all... a new tree kangaroo has arrived. Male, Collins, recently arrived from Lincoln Zoo. He is the son of Noru who was the last tree kangaroo born in Toronto. He is Harrington and Chrissy's grandson. Hopefully he is as good a breeder as his father and mother who have produced 5 sons. Sadly this means Harrington's departure to Philly will be happening in the coming weeks or months. Time to say one last goodbye to our old friend.

5. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Harrington's departure is going to be in a few weeks according to a keeper today. It was me that reported he was going to Philadelphia but the keeper today is sure it is Pittsburgh.

The new male is not yet old enough to breed unfortunately. He has been here in quarantine for about a week and is said to be quite timid.

6. TZFan

Oh Mr Wrinkly why must you stomp on my 2017 tree kangaroo joey dreams? Lol. Even if I have to wait until 2018 I have renewed hope that we will see a tree kangaroo joey at the zoo again. I had completely given up on Harrington and Nokopo quite awhile ago. New pairing means I have reason to hope again.

7. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

They could be for the Kid's Zoo. They usually "rent" the rabbits from a farmer, but they don't really move around much, mainly sleep most of the day in their logs and such. Unless they're setting them up elsewhere in the zoo, but I can't really think of a space they'd work.

8. TZFan

If a post on facebook can be trusted there is big news down in the domain. A lynx kitten was spotted on exhibit. Someone should head that direction to see if they can confirm its existence.

9. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Confirmed - lynx kittens

Confirmed...I saw them today...looked like 2 kittens, but hard to tell for sure

Last edited: 8 May 2016
  10. TZFan

Welcome to zoochat LDTZ. Always nice to have a new member.

Did you happen to get any photos you could post to the gallery of them by chance?

11. cypher

First off, welcome to zoochat. Always nice to have someone else to join the conversations.

Now to clarify on the Lynx, there were 2 kittens with 1 or both adults?

12. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Both adults were in the exhibit. Mom was with the kitten(s) in the den facing the viewing platform. Dad doing his own thing. A number of us were trying to make out how many kittens there are...generally we thought 2.

Attached Files:

13. TZFan

Thanks again LDTZ for the information and photos. Nice to see the twins. It's so rare to see any species of cat so young. Usually they are born off exhibit in a maternity den and spend the first 12 weeks off display until they are more mobile and have had all their shots. Must have been an accidental birth on exhibit with the kittens arriving sooner than expected.

14. cypher

You're lucky to have gotten those shots. I wonder if the cubs and mom will be pulled from the exhibit for reasons that TZFan already mentioned.

15. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Definitely two lynx kittens and still in the exhibit this afternoon. I doubt they would disturb the mother by moving them once they were born on the exhibit.
    Unfortunately a big downpour as we arrived there and we did not go back later, so no pics.

White Lions - we found it amusing that mom and auntie were lying around on the smaller side of their exhibit while dad was on the other side sitting the four cubs - on Mother's Day.

16. cypher

Thanks for the info Mr Wrinkly. I plan on going to the zoo tomorrow, so I'm hoping to check out the Lynx cubs.

Nice that Fintan gave the girls some time away from the boys on Mother's Day.

17. TZFan

Rumor has it that our long awaited female pygmy hippo, Kindia, will be arriving from France very soon. I have heard from several people this will be happening very soon. If all goes well (remember Kiko was only supposed to be a 30 day quarantine that turned in 3 months) we could see her sometime this summer. With time for arrival, quarantine, time to settle in, intros to Harvey and a 7 month pregnancy we could see a hippo calf some time in 2017! Yes I'm already that far ahead. I want a hippo calf darn it! Last one I remember seeing was Abou back when I was a kid and that memory is fuzzy.

18. TZFan

A new hyena arrived at Albuquerque Bio Park so I think its now fairly unlikely that we will see Pinduli head south of the border as was the original plan. I suppose this will work out better. Pinduli can hang out with Moja ensuring Echo has access to Kanzi without any sort of competition. Anything works for me if we get to see a hyena cub. I do wonder if the zoo will look for a new home for Pinduli and Moja as a pair. The hyena house certainly doesn't look like it has anywhere near the room the lion house has. Time will tell.

19. cypher

Last I heard from a Keeper, there are no plans in sending any of the Hyenas away for the time being. So I think Pinduli will be staying. Plan is to have Pinduli and Moja together, while Kanzi and Echo are with each other in order to optimize breeding opportunity.

20. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

Quick question for someone who might know more about the ostriches, how come the zoo doesn't hatch any eggs? It's great that they use them for enrichment for the other zoo neighbours but why hasn't the zoo hatched any chicks? I think it would be neat to see some chicks.