Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Births, Deaths and Transfers 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TZFan

The zoo will release 6000 Puerto Rican crested toads into the wild tomorrow.

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great to hear the zoo being part of this. I noticed that the Puerto Rican Crested Toads are available to be viewed in the Americas Pavilion, and have been so for a while now, but their exhibit has taken place of the Waxy Monkey Tree Frog which I loved to take pictures of.

Any idea why the switch in species? I assume it's because of the work being done with the
    Puerto Rican Crested Toads.

4. cypher

Sad news. Wombat Hamlet passed away yesterday. I mentioned in another thread that he wasn't looking to good during my visit Tuesday, and this doesn't really surprise me.

Check out the zoo's facebook page to see a long post on Hamlet.

5. TZFan

Oh poor Hamlet. I loved that wombat dearly. He's always been there for every visit I have ever had to the zoo. It saddens me greatly that he just wont be there anymore. At least we have Matilba to carry on his legacy. Hopefully he wasn't in pain for too long. My heart goes out to his keepers because he has been such a fixture in the Australiasian pavilion for so long. I'm just glad I got to see him that one last time this spring.

Sadly we have more of these long time zoo residents coming to the end of their life span in the next few years.

6. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

That was from a keeper, however today the lead keeper said that they do not plan to put them together. They are alternating, being switched in the late afternoon.

In fact another zoo has an interest in the Sables and that is under discussion.

7. TZFan

I'm not surprised another zoo is interested in the sables. The SSP did recommend sending Puff Daddy to the US and the zoo could simply refuse to send him unless the zoo he is going to takes Savannah as well.

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So what exactly is the deal with the sables at Toronto? From what I can gather they have a small group that just kind of sits? there not breeding or anything? What is the history behind the group and whatnot?

9. TZFan

Oh Hyak II you came to the right nut for that question. The zoo currently has two sables. Fourteen year old male Puff Daddy who was born at Henry Doorly and 18 year old female Savannah who was born right here in Toronto. Savannah's full sister Millie lived with them until she died in March at nearly 21. There hasn't been any breeding since 2010. Millie only had one offspring by her father while Savannah has two sons by Puff who both reside at Parc Safari. Breeding stopped due to the girls age. While a female has bred up to 21 years old its rarer and I don't think that the zoo wanted to risk pregnancy and labor with older animals. Plus there is the difficulty in shipping the offspring south. There just aren't Canadian herds to disperse the calves into.

Savannah is now a non breeder but Puff is still considered a great potential breeder. Sables only have 32% known pedigree so animals like Puff who have 100% known lineage are very valuable to the population. He only has two sons who are at a non AZA zoo and are not considered as part of the population so he is under represented. They want him south of the border asap to get him mixed around in as many large herds as possible before he passes. He would likely be moved every two years until its deemed not safe for him any more like most males. At 14 years old he is passed the average life span of a sable which is just 11.5 years so the clock is ticking and he is being wasted in Toronto with an elderly female. US herds are usually much larger then the 3 animals Toronto typically keeps so he could in two years sire lots of calves.

History wise Toronto had sables from opening day until present. There was lots of breeding but most calves went to Canadian facilities and then the records on them stop. It is unlikely many, if any, made their way to the US and back into the breeding population.

Fun fact Millie and Savannah were direct descendants of the first Sables at the zoo. Their mother was Toronto born. Their grandmother was Toronto born. And their great grand parents were the first sables at the zoo. Looking back at the history its a little sad they are going to be gone. Would be nice to get Odin or his brother who's name I don't know back to continue the breeding. Unfortunately the zoo just doesn't have space for the herd size the AZA would want us keeping to keep sending animals up.

10. TZFan

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

One place Toronto did send Sables was New Zealand - 1.2 in 1990 that formed the NZ population (since lost).

12. TZFan

Browsing has brought new info...

The Violaceous Turacos are recommended to breed and breed a lot because they are extremely valuable genetically speaking. They only have one surviving chick who lives alone at African Lion Safari

The White Cheeked Turacos are not to breed for the next two years.

The zoo had 18 Massassauga Rattlesnakes prior to the breeding season. Of those 5 will be sent out to other zoos on breeding loan. Except for the four breeding adults the rest are a year or younger. The only zoo in North America with more of them is Lincoln Park with 21, none of which are leaving.

I learned there are only the three capybara at the zoo, Lucy and Brutus and son Diego. As we all know Pablo went to Riverview and brother Bow went to Oaklawn (where he has since bred). Sister Hallmark joined their older siblings Brian, Halle and Yogi at Parc Safari. I had Halle and Hallmark potentially still at the zoo.

The Green Aracari still will not be allowed to breed for the next two years. The two females are very valuable but the unknown origin of the male is what is preventing breeding.

There will be no sloth breeding for Toronto unless we get a new breeding pair. Bob doesn't count because he is an educational animal so he is excluded from the breeding population. And Sally well I'm surprised she was ever allowed to breed based on her extremely low ranking... well I guess that's why Bob is an educational animal.

Fairy Bluebird, Ira, has died. He has been replaced by a male who is less then a year old. The zoo is looking for a female to breed with him but one hasn't been found yet.

Toronto isn't getting any new Tawny Frogmouths yet. The zoo is still to hold Makepeace. Was anyone aware he is 30? He is the second oldest in North America only beat by a 36 year old in St. Louis. There is a lot of breeding now going on for the species and several imports from Australia and Europe so the chances of getting a new animal when Makepeace passes is good providing the zoo chooses to keep the species.

Our blue faced honey eater will never breed due to medical reasons. Given that is very unlikely we will see any more for the foreseeable future.

We will just have plush crested jay, The Artful Dodger, for the next two years alone as well. I have him down as a male but this studbook has him as a female. Maybe Dodger was miss gendered.

The red billed blue magpies are to continue to try breeding.

The golden breasted starlings are to breed... well the female and one of the two males.

The zoo has been asked to investigate or report on the origin of the blue grey tanager. They are hoping he has a good background so they can get him breeding if he's not represented.

The Chinese crocodile lizards are to breed.

A new male black monitor is due in from Buffalo to breed with the female. Only four monitors in the whole population have bred so a new pairing is exciting if its fruitful.

The prehensile-tailed skink are to breed. The older two are the breeders. The other two may be heading out to other Canadian zoos on breeding recs in the near future.

There will be no changes with the black crake. He is going nowhere and no one is coming in to join him.

Our grey crowned cranes are not allowed to breed right now. They are not sure what subspecies he is from so the zoo has been told not to breed him. It's disappointing. I wanted to see crane chicks.

Wattled crane, Curly Rita, is finally getting a mate. A two year old male from White Oaks is coming up on a breeding loan. The new male is mature but males do not reproduce until 4 years old on average. Curly Rita is 30 but females can reproduce into their 40's.

The Red-legged seriema will continue not to breed.

The male sunbittern is not getting a mate.

The wood partridges are not to breed until they disperse some of the 18 member flock because they are too related to each other. The SSP is willing to help place the chicks and there have been a lot in the last two years and bring in new birds.

Sumatran tigers, Hari and Kemala, are to continue breeding attempts.

13. TZFan

More browsing = more info...

The zoo is still searching for a mate for Wrinkled Hornbill, Henry, but no female is available for him yet. The search is active so who knows what the future will bring but at least it's clear they want a mate for him.

A one year old male kookaburra is arriving from Fresno to be a companion to Karee. No breeding is recommended but that seems weird since Karee is the most genetically valuable female in North America. Here mom was Cloudy who like her daughter is Toronto born. Her grandparents were the first kookaburras at the zoo making her 3rd generation Toronto. The grandparents were also imports. Her father was Rupert or Blubar... no way to know which for me... and he was an import as well. I hope she gets a chance to breed and continue the zoo's kookaburra lineage.

The zoo wants a mate for the blue crowned motmot but will not be given one because the male is over represented. The zoo is asking and the SSP flat out says no.

The zoo will become home to a bachelor flock of blue bellied rollers. For now our current male will be joined by a male from San Antonio but more males could come as there is a surplus of males.

The sacred ibises have the go ahead to breed at will since all are genetically valuable but not if the zoo cannot record parentage. The zoo has 12 ibis for those interested in knowing the flock size. In fact this is one of the largest flocks in North America.

Toronto has a prearranged transfer in of scarlet ibises from Europe. No idea what is arriving but the SSP is recommending lots of breeding with recorded parentage. Chicks are to be dispersed to Vancouver Aquarium and Assinibione after the first clutches.

Our spoonbill flock is about to grow by two males. One will arrive from San Diego Safari Park and the other from Lincoln Park. Breeding is ago once the boys arrive.

The Painted Terrapin are to breed. Three males are leaving to breed. The rest are to stay and breed. Toronto has the second largest collection in North America after Fort Worth. There's another cool fact for you.

The Brown Forest Tortoises are to breed. Both males and the female are potential founders so it is very much hoped for that they will finally breed. It's a species that has had a lot of difficulty breeding in captivity so any hatchlings would be welcomed.

Interestingly while we have Burmese star tortoises they are not part of the SSP. I wonder if we have a private collectors stock.

All of the spiny turtles are recommended to breed but very slowly. They are all potential founders.

No breeding from the straw coloured fruit bats. They are over represented. The older males are all sterilized and the younger ones are to be separated. There are 25 at the zoo.

14. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Maybe for Zoos, But Batagur borneoensis numbers in private hands in the U.S., is quite large. Few private holders have very large groups that hatch out babies yearly.

For the emys, only zoos seem to have an issue breeding them. In private facilities, they are bred and hatch yearly. They're a larger species and have certain needs that most zoos don't care to recognize or give. Probably contributing to the lack of success. Husbandry in zoos is off, and if eggs do come, most zoos don't have hatch rate success that private do. Zoos keep them in glass-fronted boxes and don't provide them the cool, humid conditions they need. A problem most zoos don't seem to care about. Get as many taxa on display as possible, even if the enclosures are crap. A little effort goes a long, long way. :p Problem is all these "successful breedings" zoos have aren't at full-potential. Then comes the need to house x amount of animals and which facilities care to take them on. It's why zoos may have small numbers of hatchlings, because most aren't incubated or the eggs are destroyed. Lets face it, baby tortoises don't appeal to the masses like the fluffies. But, hey, conservation, right? We hatched two blank blank reptiles. That's cool. They won't tell you what they did with the other eggs. :p

15. Hyak_II

Huh, very interesting, and thank you for the 10/10 response! I do agree it would be a darn shame to see the sables gone from Toronto. Perhaps they could see how the giraffes do with them, I'm certain their exhibit could house a decent sized herd :D Honestly I am not a fan of Eland at all, so it does make me quite sad to hear they are more than likely getting rid of the sables and replacing them with big doofy eland instead.

A little more broad ranging, but do you know more or less what the situation of Sables in the rest of Canada is? Is Parc Safari breeding?

16. TZFan

Interesting question... Do I know about other sables in Canada? Let me refer to my source of info. No... no I do not really know much. Parc Safari is home to Toronto's last two born males but beyond that because its not an AZA zoo I have nothing for you. In the late 1960's Edmonton received a pair but no further details of their lives beyond arrival. No other Canadian zoo has housed AZA stock. I can tell you about 14 US zoos holding them.

You are right it is a shame to see them go for Eland. I wouldn't be so upset if it was something cool. Plus I would rather the eland go in with the zebra if forced to pick. They have a massive underused exhibit. But Tori is pregnant and they want to keep her calm during her pregnancy.

Frankly I think its a matter of space that is our biggest problem. The SSP wants bigger herds. Toronto really doesn't have the space for a huge herd. That wouldn't be so bad if there were other Canadian zoos we could swap with. If Parc Safari has the only other sable herd in Canada transporting large numbers across the border to build the herd and then to accept offspring back will be a massive pain in the rear given the problems of getting hoofstock across the border. Border crossing does hinder the zoo quite a bit when it comes to getting new species. The AZA usually prefers if Canadian zoos swap animals a fair bit instead of looking south. When they are forced to they will work on it but usually they like the idea of mixing Canadian genetics as much as possible before changing things up much. It's proving a real challenge with some species where Toronto is the only holder... Grevy's Zebra, babirusa, sable (don't count Parc Safari because they tend to be our dumping ground for surplus), warthog (Safari Niagara doesn't have breeding stock), African Penguins... I'm sure a lot of birds.

17. Hyak_II

Taiga the Snow Leopard has sadly passed away this morning :( She was euthanized due to kidney failure.

18. cypher

Sad to see her go, but at least this opens up room for cubs from Ena and Kota should they successfully breed in the future.

19. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

What? There is plenty of room for three adults plus cubs.

20. cypher

Yes, I know there is enough room for cubs plus three adults. It's just that with one less adult there is more room than there was before.

No matter how you look at it, having a bit more more is always better for the prospect of having cubs. Especially with a first time mother. Less stress being around one less Snow Leopard.