Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With 2016 nearly a wrap its been a great year for the zoo in terms of births, a sad year with some big deaths and minor comings and goings on the transfer front. I'd say overall 2016 was a great year.

Things we can look forward to in 2017 in this thread.

Births... while no pregnancies are common knowledge yet there is still a ton of potential that can rival 2016. Possibilities include...
    Tree Kangaroo
    Wombat
    Kookaburra
    Komodo (highly unlikely)
    Bactrian Camel
    Snow Leopard
    Tur
    Arctic Wolves
    Golden Lion Tamarins
    River Otter (provided the male arrives)
    Scarlet Ibis
    Capybara
    Zebra
    Hyena (impossible unless space frees up)
    Penguins
    Kudu (possible if Owen was allowed to be with Ramosita)
    White Rhino (unlikely)
    Giraffe (more likely 2018 given ages)
    Ostrich (highly unlikely clutch will hatch)
    Cheetah (highly unlikley)
    Red River Hog
    Pygmy Hippo (time is ticking for a 2017 calf)
    Sacred Ibis
    African Spoonbill
    African Otter (would be a miracle)
    Von Deckens Hornbill
    Sumatran Tiger (dont hold your breath)
    Orangutan (a real push will be on for infants for the outdoor exhibit opening in 2018)
    Clouded Leopard
    Babirusa (iffy at best)

Deaths are impossible to predict but we all know some of the possible old age deaths that are just a matter of time.

Transfers as always are up in the air but probable moves include...
    Transfers in
    2 female red panda
    1 male otter
    1 female kudu
    1 female saki (its becoming increasingly unlikely)
    1-3 female cheetahs
    1 male bettong

Transfers out
    4 Lions
    The boys are going to Parc Safari
    1-3 babirusa
    Muna has been on tap to leave for awhile but if the gaurs move to the rhino exhibit as planned to make room for the orang construction this spring its unlikely there will be the space needed for them.
    1-3 polar bears
    We all know Hudson and Humphrey are up for moves to Europe and with two young orphans Juno's age in Winnipeg I really hope we hear she is moving to Winnipeg in the next month or two to socialize.
    1-3 Golden Lion Tamarins
    Its possible any of the girls might find homes.
    3-4 Spider Monkeys
    With the expansion of the jagaur exhibit into their home its very likley they will ship the spider monkeys to new homes.
    1-4 Bettongs
    The bettongs need to be dispersed.
    1-2 Zebra
    Leia was to go to San Diego so they may be waiting for Rei to mature a little to send both girls
    2 Kudu
    Rosalita and Ruby need to go to free up space for the incoming female and breeding. Hopefully the Tampa/Jacksonville trade is still on.
    2 Sables
    If they think Savannah is up for a move she and Puff Daddy could be on the move thus bringing to an end the sable program.
    1-4 Warthogs
    I dont know if the boys are still at the zoo. Its possible all four of Lucy's offspring could go.
    1-2 Cheetah
    Akeelah or Tika are supposed to go to San Diego.
    2 Lynx
    The girls could be transferred out by years end.
    2 Gorillas
    Sadiki and Nassir could be on the move but nothing has been formally suggested yet. It does remain a possibility.
    2 Hyena
    If they can get rid of Moja and Pinduli there is realistic hope of cubs so I would not be surprised to hear they are looking for a home.
    1 Indian Rhino
    There is a slight chance Nandu might be ready for a new home by the end of the year. Nothing definite.

2. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Tia, the female White-Faced Saki, was on exhibit today (went out yesterday for the first time). She & Madeira seem to get along well.

3. TZFan

Amazing to hear Tia finally arrived from Granby. It's been so long since the recommended transfer I had nearly given up hope. Now we will just have to wait and see if Tia is still able to reproduce. She is older and its been awhile since her first, and if I recall right last, baby.

4. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, the river otter is in quarantine. Keeper said he could be introduced to Talise in as little as a couple weeks.

5. TZFan

Oh so glad to hear some of these long awaited transfers are finally happening.

6. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Knowing the female White-Faced Saki and male River Otter have arrived is great news. Things are already off on a good start.

7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its the perfect time for the male otters arrival as well. We are currently in the depths of NARO breeding season, so hopefully they can get them introduced for the females one cycle of the year!

8. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

The new male otter is out now! His name is RJ (Rascal Junior). He and Talise are switching indoor/outdoor for the time being. Keepers say all is going very well.
    There's also a new Gaboon viper in Africa.

9. cypher

That's great to hear. I look forward to seeing him on exhibit and eventually with Talise.

10. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

A birth announcement was made on the zoo's facebook page. A southern ground hornbill chick hatched very early in the new year to parents Catelyn and Biko. There is a very brief video clip of the chick on the facebook page.

11. TZFan

The chick will be a good experience for the whole family of hornbills. Older sisters Oleana, Arya and Sansa and newest sibling born in 2016 will benefit immensely from assisting in rearing the new baby. Sansa isn't all that far away from being ready to pair with a potential mate herself.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you elaborate on the ages of the earlier offsprings?

13. TZFan

Of course I can Kifaru Bwana.

Mom Catelyn and dad Biko are both wild born and are between 20-25 years old. Sansa hatched Jan 15 2012 making her 5 years old. Arya followed up Nov 28 2012 so shes 4. Oleana arrived soon after on Feb 3 2013. The fourth chick who no one seems to know the gender or name of yet was born in late 2015 or early 2016. It had a sibling but as with most hornbill chicks only one survives. Now there is the 2017 chick. If I recall right Sansa and Arya were hand reared to some extent. Oleana and the others have been flock reared.

Of note three other adult males arrived with Catelyn and Biko when they were imported and lived at the zoo for a time as they all matured. The others have all been sent out to breed but I think Catelyn and Biko are the only ones actually breeding at this point. As founders the SSP wants as many chicks from them as possible. More chicks will come so long as the zoo has space for the current flock. In time homes will be recommended for the older girls.

14. TZFan

Phase one of my gorilla plan is in motion. Sadiki and Nassir are heading to Granby. No timeline. They will be kept as a pair separate from Jawara and Zwalani for the time being with possible integration based on interest of the boys.

No other changes for the rest of the troop this year.

15. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Glad to see this development on the gorilla front (and I am hopeful that your gorilla plan is the one they follow).
    Should I take "no other changes" to include no breeding?

16. TZFan

You should take it as no breeding. Nneka is 3 so a recommendation was unlikely for Ngozi until next winter. They have another year to decide what's best for the troop or Charles could pass forcing their hand.

Of interest Granby's plans were for possible integration of 3 to 4 of the males. I think their focus would be on integrating Zwalani, Sadiki and Nassir. If Jawara gets along cool but I'm thinking the idea is he will be leaving for Toronto eventually.

If anyone is interested in the plans for any other Toronto related or owned gorilla let me know. Changes are in the air for several of them.

17. TZFan

Polar bear, Juno, is heading for Winnipeg like her brothers before her to learn how to socialize with other bears. Siku and Nanqu will make great playmates for her seeing as they are the same age. It's sad to see her go but it will be what's best for her down the line.

18. cypher

Not all that surprising seeing Juno leave. Not only is it the best option for her, but it'll also free up space for Aurora, Nikita, Hudson and Humphrey.

Last year I had asked a keeper about putting the boys together like they were up North, and he said while it is a possibility, they are avoiding having them together especially during breeding season, because it'll lead to fighting.

19. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

Sadly Samson the hippo was humanly euthanized at the zoo this morning due to old age. :(

20. cypher

Very sad news hearing about Samson's passing. During my last times seeing him, his limp was noticeably worsening with time. Below is the post from the zoo's facebook page, which shares a little info on Samson.

"It is with great sadness the Toronto Zoo announces the passing of Samson, the 43 year old geriatric river hippopotamus. Born July 21, 1973 at Quebec’s Granby Zoo, Samson came to the Toronto Zoo in April 1993 joining sister Perky who came in 1992. Both were joined, in 1994, by their sister Petal. Samson was a very elderly river hippopotamus and one of the oldest animals at the Zoo. Due to ongoing common chronic geriatric conditions, he was humanely euthanized earlier today.

Samson was very special and much loved by the Zoo’s Wildlife Care staff as well as the public. Although wild male river hippos are known to be fearsome by defending their territories from intruders, Samson was very mellow and had an agreeable and patient disposition and he seemed to enjoy protected interactive training sessions with his keepers. Samson, was an eager learner when it came to positive reinforcement training and was the first hippo to be weighed on the Zoo’s new portable scale (at a svelte 3,740 lbs..) He loved having big piles of sand to lie in as well as devouring cantaloupes and pumpkins in his huge mouth!
    Each evening the hippos say goodnight to the keepers by honking in a manner vaguely reminiscent of an old man laughing. Now it is our turn to say goodbye to Samson. We miss you already."