Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For anyone not interested in reading the Press Release, births include the following:

3 Snow Leopard cubs. Mother Ena is doing great as a first time mother. Father is Kota.
    5 Cheetah cubs. Mother Lani is doing great as a first time mother. Father is Patonga.
    2 Clouded Leopard cubs. Mother Pavarti was seemingly doing well in the beginning, but started spending less time with her cubs, so the cubs were pull to the "intensive care unit (ICU) in the new state-of-art Wildlife Health Centre" where they are receiving 24/7 care. Zoo prepared hand rearing the cubs by speaking with other zoo's and Clouded Leopard experts.

All-in-all, all cubs are doing well.

kiang and m30t like this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The keepers must really have been working hard with the moms prior to the pregnancies because I had heard that they were expecting these exact numbers for each species. Clearly they have been working hard on voluntary ultrasounds with the cats or someone is very good at guessing.

There was never any doubt the clouded leopard cubs would be hand reared. I like how they are positioning it as Pavarti wasn't doing well as a mom... which might have been true but honestly they were always going to hand rear. It is clouded leopard cub rearing protocol throughout the AZA. No clouded leopards are parent reared for the reasons I have explained in the past. Too bad the zoo just didn't state the real reason. It's not a bad thing to be hidden. It shows the dedication that goes into conserving this species.

3. TZFan

Is anyone aware if the young male warthogs, Ru, Riley and Bert, are still at the zoo? Parc safari announced they have three new warthogs and they are one of the places Toronto's surplus stock most frequently goes. While their parents were good genetic matches they did produce 7 offspring together and the girls are more useful in the states then the boys would ever be so I can see them going out of the SSP. They could easily have taken them when they exchanged the female cheetahs. I didn't hear of them going at the same time the lynx and lion cubs went.

4. cypher

I haven't seen those male Warthogs in a long time. I have no clue if they're still at the zoo.

5. TZFan

Something to investigate then once we can all go back to the zoo again. Or once I get access to a new warthog studbook but I think that's still a year away and Toronto's animals are never well recorded when it comes to warthogs.

6. TZFan

Even in the strike more success has happened with critical breeding programs.

A litter of Vancouver Island Marmots were born.

The zoo is expecting 50 Eastern Loggerhead Shrikes.

193 Oregon spotted frog tadpoles hatched and have been shipped to Vancouver.

Toronto Zoo | Press Releases

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. TZFan

Orang update... Budi is to continue breeding with Ramai and Sekali with priority on Sekali as she is the more gentically valuable female. Still no confirmation on a pregnancy. Kembali will remain at the zoo another year at least.

Marabou storks George and Gracie are to try to breed again. With no surviving chicks capable of breeding they are back to being potential founders. Zuri as we all know will not be allowed to breed due to her bill. Artie (who turned out to be a female) died recently in Dallas. A bigger effort should be made to get them breeding again even if it means hand rearing the chicks.

Turns out new male kookaburra, Jake, was the long awaited male from Fresno. It took so long to get him I assumed the zoo had to look elsewhere.

Did not know this but our false gharial may not be male. Fernando is unsexed at the moment. If the zoo can determine its sex then an attempt will be made to provide a mate. Problem is Fernando has a lot of siblings born to San Antonio's pair. Choices will be limited.

The male cheetah from the National Zoo and the female from San Diego Safari Park were still expected to arrive prior to the birth of the cubs. Hopefully they still will arrive.

A new female lynx has been selected to breed with Ryan. She is from Minnesota this time. At three years old she will be ready to breed with Ryan next winter if she arrives in time.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this last fall but the new male wattled crane arrived. Now I'm a little disappointed in myself for not going to look at Curly Rita. Wonder what his name is. He is two and while they can breed he is still two years away from definitely being able to breed. Time will tell if he's ready.

Sea Eagles, Zakhar and Zarina, are still too immature to breed. Zarina may be capable of breeding but Zakhar needs another two or three years to mature.

Eurasian eagle owl, Sheldon is getting a mate from Edmonton. Edgar was unsuitable due to unknown pedigree. Plus she's more valuable as part of the outreach program. New female Vega is still less than a year old. It would be at least another two years before chicks are possible.

The spectacled owls are to remain non breeding.

Greater one horned rhino, Nandu, will be on the move probably in the fall. He will be Parc Safari's first greater one horned rhino.

If white rhino, Tom, has not achieved his mission to get Zohari and Sabi pregnant the focus is not to shift to Tony. The number one priority is to get both females to have a calf before they turn 13 when it becomes less likely they will ever have a calf if they have not already done so.

Capybaras, Brutus and Lucy, are to return to breeding after a few years off. Remaining son Diego has been neutered.

A meerkat mix up should be coming soon. All Canadian zoos with them have been told to swap around animals so breeding can continue or in Toronto's case restart. It will be nice to see meerkat pups again.

They will continue to try to breed red river hogs, Philip and Tisa. I would love to see this be successful. Come on Philip be more than just friends with the girls you are introduced to.

I can finally confirm the second last litter of warthog piglets, Zuma, Winnie and Petunia, ended up at Parc Safari. I know they have been gone since 2014 but I didn't know where they went, or I forgot. As well all of the previous litter are still at the zoo. I did not know that Bert was short for Englebert and Ru was short for Rupert. I just thought the short forms were the names. Learn something new every day. And despite the fact we all thought Stephane was the father of the most recent litter it was actually Woody. So they are the grandkids of JJ (Jack Junior) and Pumba who were real zoo favourites of many and the great grandkids of the zoos first warthogs Gonzo and Roberta. I didn't care if the piglets left before but now I would like to see Savannah stay on with Lucy and become our new breeding female to carry on the Toronto legacy.

9. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

His name is Cedric.
    Also, Muna the Babirusa just left the Zoo on Thursday.

10. TZFan

Cool thanks for the name.

I wonder where Muna ended up going. She was supposed to leave for Florida like three years ago.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Also, the name of the new Monocled cobra in Indo is Monica.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any info here or there would be appreciated.

Two additional questions:
    TZ, now without babirusa?
    What about the Malayan tapir situation?

13. cypher

I believe we sent our Malayan Tapir away.

14. cypher

It’s a holiday today, so I went to the zoo with my brothers.

Went on the zoomobile to check out the New Wildlife Centre. For those wondering, the entrance is at the America’s stop of the zoomobile ride. On the zoomobile ride itself, the commentator said the Clouded Leopards cubs are visible in the New Wildlife Centre. So, I went to check it out only to be thoroughly disappointed in no cubs being remotely visible. There was no indication that they were ever on display.

As for the Wildlife Centre, it looks real nice. The area open to the public is a single hallway with large open glass walls allowing viewing into multiple areas. I was I had a smaller lens on me, as I would’ve taken pictures. On a final note, it’d be nice to see a surgery of an animal there.

I missed the White Rhino Keeper talk, but I manage to speak with the Keeper before she left. She confirmed that Zohari is indeed pregnant. Sabi on the other hand is unconfirmed. Her hormones and cycles have been all over the place, leading to an unsure status in terms of pregnancy.

Due to Sabi’s status, the current plan is to keep Zohari and Sabi together and away from the boys for the duration of Zohari’s pregnancy. Splitting them up is undesirable, as it could cause stress to Zohair, which is a big no-no right now. Should Sabi show signs of not being pregnant, the plan is to try putting her alone with one of the boys, most likely Tom, during her cycles to try and conceive.

As for Zohari’s expectancy date, it’s currently anytime between September and December.

15. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

On the zoomobile ride itself, the commentator said the Clouded Leopards cubs are visible in the New Wildlife Centre. So, I went to check it out only to be thoroughly disappointed in no cubs being remotely visible. There was no indication that they were ever on display.

The Clouded Leopards were on display for the member visit inside the Health Centre Thursday and Friday. Besides chatting with the head vet., technicians, and others inside we were able to watch the 2:30 feeding and see the cubs moving around on the floor. They are probably two females but that was not confirmed yet according to the vet. we were talking to Thursday.

16. cypher

So I must've went during an off time for the Clouded Leopards. Wish they posted the times that it will be on display.

17. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

They were only on display for the member access days.

18. cypher

If that's the case, they should stop telling people that they can see them. It's misleading and to be frank, vexing. Didn't realize there was an actual member access day. Must've missed that, not that I'd be able to go during the week anymore.

19. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

There's been a number of errors in the commentary lately...at one point today they also encouraged riders to see the lynx kittens!

20. cypher

Are the Lynx kittens gone? I honestly can't remember.