Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

TZFan, thanks for the updates. Great news about the hippos! Personally, I have never been more excited for a TZ baby. As for the Gorilla breeding, the last time I was there the keeper mentioned that Ngozi was on birth control, and that no babies were expected.

2. Zoolover79

Zoolover79 New Member

Well it was a nice and fun day at the zoo. The zoo keeper chat with the white rhino's was fun. She would only say to keep an eye out on facebook for some exciting news coming up. The clouded leopard babies the one keeper said wont be out till after the kids go back to school so mid sept. They said the babies are super sensitive to the noises. It was fun watching the white rhinos(girls) running around today and the gorilla's were fun. Though kids got sex ed from charles and i was sure was ngozi. It was good for a chuckle from everyone there lol

3. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

This morning the Snow Leopard Cubs M Mylo and F Kita were on the exhibit for the first time, for only a short while as they started to get tired. Both were up on the rocks but mostly stayed toward the back of the exhibit, although the two keepers with them encouraged them to come out in the open. Mylo managed to climb all the way up the fencing at the back, but got himself down again with the keepers calling to him. Dad Kota was probably in the yard that is just behind there and the area they spent most of the time exploring is where Kota sometimes paces.
    A few pictures but not very good because of their location and the fencing, and I was too busy watching them.
    They will be out for brief periods over the next few days, then Ena will come out with them, also for brief periods.

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A gorilla baby could be on the way as Ngozi has stopped cycling. A test has been ordered.

White rhinos, Sabi and Tom, have been put back together for breeding and the first successful attempt has been witnessed between them.

And lastly the clouded leopard cubs have been moved to the lion tailed macaque exhibit but they are not yet on display. They likely wont until mid September.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2017
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Clouds were moved over there a while ago and yesterday were out on the exhibit for a short time about 11:00.

6. TZFan

Apparently there is a new gorilla ssp which is odd because one just came out in January. Another shouldn't have come until next January. In it Charles and Ngozi are to breed. Explains all the breeding. A baby is wanted. Honestly I'm a little surprised given Charles age that they didn't take the opportunity once the boys left for Granby in the fall to make a change up in leadership and bring Johari on as a breeder too. Might have been more likely if Granby hadn't lost Nsabi. I cannot see the SSP recommending a US gorilla for our troop just because of the paperwork and import problems so Granby and Jawara is the only choice logical choice for silverback (Zwalani is Johari's nephew). The risk of moving Jawara to Toronto would be the Zwalani, Sadiki and Nassir wont mesh and Zwalani would be left alone. Guess we will have to wait another 3 - 5 years to see Johari finally get a chance to breed. The troop would be so much more fun with multiple babies lie there used to be.

For any who care about Toronto's former gorillas and the ones they own lots of breeding is expected. I'll post that in the former animal thread for those interested.

7. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The babies are now officially on display. According to a post on the zoo's FB, the Clouded Leopard cubs are out: 11:30 to 12:30 and 2:30-3:30, Cheetah cubs from 9:00 till 3:00 and the Snow Leopard cubs from 10:00 till 1:00.

8. TZFan

Male wolf, Chinook, was put down Aug 26. No cause of death but surprising given he was fairly young.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AZA gorilla breeding recommendation has been confirmed (see above). Both other females remain on contraceptives.

10. TZFan

The Home's Hingeback Tortoises all were transferred to Little Ray's Reptile Zoo.

A new bactrian camel, Zip, arrived from African Lion Safari... Don't know the gender. Male would be preferable so the younger girls can breed once old enough.

Von der Deckens hornbill, Heinz, has died.

11. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw on CP24 the zoo has 2 rhinos that are pregnant. Can't find any press release or news article on it...

12. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

They mention it on the zoo's FB:
    Zohari is expected between Nov and January and Asha between December and January.

MagpieGoose likes this.
  13. TZFan

Glad the zoo finally announced what we have all known for months but I get their caution, especially with Asha's history and Zohari being a first time mom.

14. TZFan

Red panda Melina is supposed to arrive from Utica Zoo. She isn't supposed to breed with Ralphie because he is now considered post reproductive which is weird because males have bred up to 16 years old and Ralphie is a proven breeder. Cassie is still scheduled to join Phoenix at Safari Niagara where they will be just friends since she is post reproductive having not breed prior to the age of 8. Our former Red panda Maki appears to have passes away at Safari Niagara.

Secretary bird, Kitani, is being designated as an educational animal (shocker) and will never be allowed to breed. Pity because he it wild born and could really help the population. They could breed him and use one of his chicks as a replacement.

This sucks but apparently Eurasian Eagle Owl, Sheldon, is available for placement at another zoo. I wonder what they are planning on doing with the exhibit if they are giving him up. Last I had heard we were looking for a mate for him and one had been recommended. Now things seem to have changed. Could be they realize that no one seems to notice Sheldon in his favourite place. I really wonder what the replacement will be. Come on something cool.

The zoo's red legged seriema is going to Charles Paddock Zoo to breed. We will get a one year old replacement from Toledo.

A female sunbittern is arriving from Sea World Orlando to breed with our male.

Our new Amur Tigers have been selected. Female Kira is arriving from Calgary. She is a great legacy animal for us her great grandfather was Tonghua and great grandmother was Pam. Her grandmother was their daughter Kita. Kira is currently 5 and has yet to breed. She will be joined by four year old male Youri from Granby. Breeding is a no go because he is the grandson of Tonghua and Tatiana through their son Jack.

Southern ground hornbills Arya, Oleana and Sansa all went to Hattiesburg Zoo. Originially we thought just Arya left but it was all three of the girls leaving just Biko, Catelyn, Tyrion and the new chick.

The zoo is now being asked to really try hard to breed 9 (3 males and 6 females) of its Caribbean flamingos. The rest of the flock has poorly known pedigree so they wont be breeding.

15. TZFan

A very sad loss to announce. Snow leopard Kota has passed away. At least we got one last litter of cubs from him. Hopefully a new match for Ena will be found and lots more cubs will be on the way. Maybe Kota's sons Pasha (in Omaha with a mate and young cub) or Kazi (in Edmonton without a breeding rec) will return to breed or perhaps grandsons Dian (at Potawatomi without a mate), Kimiti (hes medically not allowed to breed so never mind there) or Bucky (heading to Brookfield to breed). Kazi would be best since he's already in Canada. A new mate for Ena is easy. Since she is an import and has no relatives beyond the cubs she can easily breed with any male in North America.

Toronto Zoo euthanizes sick snow leopard - CityNews Toronto

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would not be at all surprised if they get Kazi. Valley Zoo wants to send him out to open up space for another male from the states.

On the other hand, given Enas genetic value, perhaps they will get another less represented male instead. Who knows, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. TZFan

Finally after much delay the gaur have finally been sent to Parc Safari! 2019 will hopefully see the opening of the orang exhibit. Please let Puppe live long enough to finally be outside again. It's great news for the others but Puppe was wild born and hasn't been able to enjoy the great outdoors since arriving at the zoo. It will be my greatest pleasure to see her outside enjoying the sun, grass, wind, just soaking it all in in that thoughtful deep Puppe way. If she doesn't make it to the opening it will be crushing knowing she came so close.

TheGerenuk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Does Parc Safari have other gaur?
    The sable antelopes also left for Parc Safari.
    Would there be an opportunity for breeding there (either species)?

19. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From my last visit in early August, Parc Safari does have other gaur.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. TZFan

Parc Safari does have gaur. In fact it is the home of at least one of Flower's sons. I believe its a breeding herd.

Parc Safari also has or had Puff and Savannah's two youngest sons Odin and Doug. To my knowledge breeding would be a no go. There are no females I know of in Canada unless some have been shipped up. The boys are both related to Savannah plus she is beyond breeding age.

Oh any for anyone who missed Mr Wrinkly's photo in the zoo's media section the zoo has swapped out female red pandas. Cassie went to Safari Niagara to join their new male Phoenix but they wont be breeding due to Cassie's age. Ralphie has been joined by Melina who is now on exhibit. Breeding is up in the air with them. Hopefully we will get cubs over the summer. Plenty of time for settling in and getting acquainted before breeding season.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2017
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.