Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know it's best for the species, but I have to admit I did feel sorry for Jamie (Lowry Park Zoo) when she and Naboo kept having calves and wondered when she'd ever get a break from motherhood. Maybe she enjoyed it, maybe she didn't. I just know that from her first calf Jaya (F) in 2009 to Jiyu (M) in 2013 she was pretty much constantly tending to them. Also apparently unlike a lot of other rhino pairs she and Naboo had a good chemistry and got along well on exhibit together when not in breeding mode. Naboo left sometime after 2012 and I've heard he is at African Lion Safari. Have you seen him? I miss him!

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Sarus Crane, it would be within the expected birth interval to have a 3-year time gap between calves.

Somewhat out of the mainstream Lowry Park had 3 calves born between 2009 and 2013 (the middle one was Jahi (2011)). Your Naboo is actually more widely known as Arjun and indeed left in 2014 for Rockton.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. Sarus Crane

I knew his formal name was Arjun. I guess his keepers liked the name Naboo. I got to go behind the scenes at the zoo in 2012 and the keeper who gave me the tour said they nicknamed most of the animals after Star Wars characters. Now Johnny from Zoo Miami lives there and they have feeding interactions between him and the guests for an additional fee. I fed him in Miami in 2011. I also got to feed Suru and wished I could bring one of them home. I'd love to have a pet Indian Rhino if it was allowed and I had the money. They're just like giant puppies that weigh 2-3 tons and sometimes don't know their own strength!

4. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

The African Lion Safari does have an Indian rhino named Naboo, I worked with him last summer. He’s housed with the only other Indian rhino at ALS, Clover, sister of Toronto Zoo’s Asha.

That being said the Aldabra tortoises are on exhibit as of today.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
    Sarus Crane likes this.
  5. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Apparently there are three "new" aldabara tortoises, the reason I put it in quotations is because apparently they've been here before. There names are Rasputin, Queenie. and Malila. Apparently all three lived at Toronto between 1975-1999!

6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Aldabra tortoises are now on display with the lemurs. Rasputin, Queenie and Millie are the original tortoise who lived at the zoo and remained with the zoo until moving to Fort Worth in 1999. Great to have our old friends back. I hear the outdoor display is still a go. The lemurs are their winter home like the cranes.

7. Sarus Crane

I hope you had a lot of fun working with him.

Jake.Roberts likes this.
  8. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Really hyped to see the tortoises! I've never seen an Aldabra Tortoise in my life, so this might be an interesting experience.

Although, ever since the African River Fishes exhibit got "temporarily" closed the African Rainforest pavilion is probably my least favorite part of the zoo other then that empty exhibit in the Indomalaya pavilion that's been covered... never really saw the need to continue keeping that there.

I went to Zoo Camp in 2015 and apparently some insects used to live in there but eventually died out...

9. Jake.Roberts

Jake.Roberts Well-Known Member

That African river fishes exhibit is actually now finally full of water and fish. I saw it yesterday, but I was in a hurry and didn’t look at it that closely!

tjcf2014 likes this.
  10. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Took them long enough! I was worried the day would never come!

Thanks for the great news, I really appreciate it.

Jake.Roberts likes this.
  11. TZFan

12. TZFan

Ostrich, Miss Ellie, was put down recently. If I remember right she was fairly old and had been at the zoo a really long time.

13. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The zoo made it official today; announcing that gorilla Ngozi is pregnant. From the zoo's facebook post: "breeding between Charles and Ngozi was observed in the beginning of October. She is expected to give birth near the end of May or beginning of June. She’s gained approximately 8lbs so far, however Keepers say she is much larger than her past pregnancies, she is only about halfway through and she looks like she’s full-term!"

14. TZFan

I'm a little surprised they even announced the pregnancy for Ngozi. In the past they have stayed quiet until nearly the end. I'm glad the zoo is finally taking risks and announcing pregnancies. Gives the public something to get reved up about.

15. TZFan

16. TZFan

Camel, Jamarcus, died.

Breeding has been observed between pygmy hippos Harvey and Kindia again. The clock to a pygmy hippo calf may have begun again. Clearly Harvey is good at making babies and Kindia is capable of conceiving quickly. Hopefully we will get the first surviving pygmy hippo calf by fall!

6 bison have arrived from somewhere in Quebec. I feel like Zoo Sauvage is the like candidate but the zoo loves exchanges with Parc Safari.

Seems like the zoo will be announcing the rhino calves names or a contest to name them tomorrow

17. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

What? Jamarcus is alive and well.

18. TZFan

I oopsied. Apparently I need to learn to read more carefully. For some stupid reason I read neutered as euthanized. Wow no clue how I got that so very wrong. Great he is alive! Just missing some special bits.

And help name the rhino calves. The white rhino calf will be Kwesi, Theodore or Matumaini. While the Indian rhino calf will be Kavi, Kiran or Genda. Help Us Name Our Baby Rhinos!. My gut says we will be looking at Kwesi and Kavi.

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Those are some weak names for the GOH calf. Sucks they didn't suggest a "V" name for him.

20. TZFan

I am more upset they didn't go for a V for big brother Nandu. He is the first born son of the first born son, Vishnu, of our first Indian rhino, Vinu. Nandu should have been the V named son. Now with the second born I don't care because they ruined a chance to build a naming tradition.