Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths, and Transfers, 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo celebrated Indian Rhino, Kiran's, first birthday! I like to see in the video the zoo has really embraced doing up fun celebrations for the public see! I was afraid that would go away when the pandas left but they seem to be getting people like to see these things.

Toronto Zoo celebrates first birthday of one-horned rhino Kiran

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Watching for TZFan's annual summary of possible births, I finally realized it was at the end of the 2018 thread. I am sure TZFan won't mind that I have copied that post here (corrected the Clouded Leopard name):

Births

I know of no current pregnancies at the moment but there are some sure thing births that we can almost always expect. There have also been some moves which should increase the odds of births as well as some moves that should be coming that will open up breeding opportunities.

Most likely

Blandings Turtles
    Vancouver Island Marmots
    Black Footed Ferrets - several new pairings are coming following some transfers
    Eastern Loggerheaded Shrikes
    Massassagua Rattlesnakes
    Bison
    Tur - there's always a chance

Higher odds

Zebra - if already pregnant
    Red River Hog - they are finally mating
    Cheetah - only if most if not all of the quints leave this winter or should be leaving to homes soon.
    Southern Ground Hornbill - despite 6 chicks they are a genetically valuable pair.
    Giraffe - if pregnant but odds are now higher Mstari will be pregnant sometime this year.
    Bleeding Heart Dove
    River Otter - RJ and Talise did enjoy each other a lot last winter.
    Common Marmoset - Why they are breeding them still baffles me.They should be phased out.
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    Sunbittern
    Plush Crested Jay
    Grey Kangaroo - new breeding male
    Pygmy Marmoset - pending arrival and bonding

Longer shots

Indian rhino - based on Kiran's conception Asha could be pregnant or get pregnant with #3
    White rhino - Sabi has been bred to Tom but no word
    Orang - just don't think Budi is mature enough to get the job done
    Marabou Stork - not sure why this genetically valuable pair isn't being bred
    African Penguin - some would need to go to free up space
    Bactrian Camel - Ziggy is still a little young but Tilly is old enough, plus long pregnancy.
    Przewalski's Horse - only if breeding began almost immediately after arrival.
    Red Panda - SSP doesn't think Ralphie will breed given his age
    Wolf - Unlikely given the 6 pups are still there but possible.
    Wombat - So long and nothing.
    Tree Kangaroo - Unlikely given the upcoming transfer but still possible.
    African Spoonbill - dont seem interested in breeding them
    Sacred Ibis - see above
    Various Asian turtles and tortoises
    Babirusa - nothing seems to be happening there

No Longer Possible

Just thought I would add in a category of the species we know are now out of the running.
    Sumatran Tiger - Kemala has been deemed a non breeder
    Clouded Leopard - Mingma and Pavarti are a genetically undesirable pairing, cousins, duh SSP.
    Lions - Makali is spayed like Lemon now.
    Sloth - Bob's dead but they were really a long shot.
    Ostrich - Orville's dead
    Komodo - pending arrival of a new female
    Sea Eagle - An egg was laid last year but it was eaten by a coon so no idea if it was fertile. They are still young.
    Crested Porcupine - genetically valuable pairing but the zoo is considering getting a different species for that exhibit hence the long shot.

Transfers In

Female Tree Kangaroo
    Female Komodo
    Male Kudu
    Male Black footed ferrets
    Male Scarlet Ibis
    Ostrich - I would think they will try to get Eunice company
    Male Snow Leopard - coming in from Metro Richmond and breeding will begin again.
    Meerkats - some sort of breeding swap
    Pgymy Marmosets - Breeding pair arriving

Transfers Out

Tree Kangaroo - Nokopo
    Various cheetah
    Zebra - Leia and Rey should go
    Indian Rhino - Nandu (might wait til late fall and move both boys together)
    White Rhino - With Tom as a proven sire there is no real need for Tony so its possible to free up space for Teddy.
    6 Penguins - Edmonton is supposed to take a group
    Polar bears - hopefully homes are found for Hudson and Humphrey
    Wolf pups
    Clouded Leopard - rumor has it Safari Niagra is working on a clouded leopard exhibit so Levy would be perfect
    Snow leopards - homes have been chosen for Mylo and Kita
    Meerkats - to facilitate breeding
    Bettongs
    Bleeding heart doves - any chicks
    Eagle Owl - Edgar they want out of Eagle owls
    Warthog - if breeding is wanted the boys would have to go
    Hyena - I keep hoping Echo will not be wasted and Moja and Pinduli will leave!!!!!!!!! That or the SSP will smarten up and take Kanzi away from Toronto so she's not wasted.

It will be interesting to see if there is a big birth this year with none expected at the moment to my knowledge. It might be a really quiet year after three or four really big ones.

m30t, TZFan and Jambo like this.
  3. Mr Wrinkly

Sacred Ibis did have a birth a few months ago, a noisy, continually squawking chick.

I have heard the Babirusa are not being bred; don't know why.

The breeding male Bactrian is Zip.

Judache likes this.
  4. TZFan

Don't mind at all that you reposted and while doing so corrected my goof with the clouded leopard. I really need to stop working from what I think is memory and double check. So much useless information rolling around in my head I'm muddling some of the easy things.

Oh cool I didn't know there had been an ibis chick. Really good thing. Most of the flock is pretty genetically valuable. Maybe more chicks will follow.

While I would love to see some big ticket babies this year it would be neat so see some rarer births like the ibis get some attention. I think this years babies to watch for would be otter pups and red river hoglets but a fun one to watch would be a marabou stork chick. Facebook could follow it's development.

I forgot another recommended breeding with several chick possibilities, flamingos. We have some pretty desirable bloodlines at the moment. I just don't ever recall seeing flamingo chicks so I wonder if they aren't interested or if Canadian winters maybe prevent it.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. TZFan

Female reticulated python, Fifi, has begun laying eggs. 15 have been laid to date but more could come. The zoo is currently reaching out to other zoos to see how many, if any, zoos are interested in the babies. They will artificially incubate only what is needed.

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first baby of the new year has been born! A little Golden Lion Tamarin born to mom Clare and dad Dolce on January 23rd.

More info here

Jambo, TheGerenuk and Judache like this.
  7. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good to hear!

8. TheGerenuk

Just saw this new baby today. A photo of it is now in the gallery.

I also heard of plans to acquire another Komodo.

Jambo likes this.
  9. RNg0905

RNg0905 Member

Yes, however they don't know from where yet. I was speaking with a volunteer a couple weeks ago when I was there.

Jambo likes this.
  10. TZFan

Actually a female komodo has been selected. She was picked before Kiki even passed. Just the fine details would have to be worked out. They had determined awhile ago Kiki was never going to be a breeder so there was no point wasting Kilat's genetics on her any longer. Kiki was heading south of the border and a new female was due up. Those plans could have changed or been halted for any number of reasons. Perhaps even Kiki's death may have changed the timeline until they confirm its safe to bring a new animal in.

Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.
  11. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if this is related to the special temporary exhibit mentioned in the Developments thread but I was at the zoo today and there is new signage posted for a Fiji Banded Iguana.
    It's in the Australasia pavilion where the Monkey Tailed Skink was and looks like the exhibit is still being prepared.
    The Skink and the frogs have been moved to where the a White Lipped Python, then Blue Tongued Skink and finally Red Tailed Green Rat Snake was.
    If anyone knows where the Iguana is coming from I'd be interested to know.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. TZFan

I'm not sure Fiji Banded Iguanas are the big thing but any change in that pavilion now makes me increasingly suspicious something is coming there.

I don't know where the Iguanas are coming from but I do know its another fairly rare species for the zoo. As of 2016 there were just 53 in 17 AZA zoos. Based on sheer numbers I would say the most likely places for them to come from is San Diego or the National Zoo. They have the largest breeding populations and thus far the only ones who have been successful as of that time but other zoos and private collections could also be the source.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

TheGerenuk and Judache like this.
  14. TheGerenuk

15. TZFan

Red River Hog, Tisa, has given birth to two hoglets. Finally Philip got the job done. This is a pretty big success for the zoo because Philip and former mate Casey were great pals but neither was interested in breeding with the other. Then when Tisa came they had positive signs but some renos behind scenes resulted in a move to the health unit until work was done. When they moved back they hated each other. It's taken some work to get Tisa and Philip back on track but seems like the keepers have done a great job and now we can enjoy two little hoglets!.

TheGerenuk and Judache like this.
  16. TheGerenuk

Neat! Can't wait until they, along with the new zebra foal, are on display!

17. TheGerenuk

The male Grevy's zebra foal has a name! His name is Obi.

Judache likes this.
  18. TZFan

Sad news Concave-casqued hornbill, Asha, was put down. She was 51 and you only saw here while out with keepers due to the fact she was blind. In the zoo's obituary for her they mentioned she was actually blinded by our male Jonah while breeding. She ended up with brain damage which resulted in vision loss. Answers a lot of questions I had. Why was she blind? I assumed age. Why is Jonah not allowed a mate? He's known for being aggressive but I didnt think he had hurt her.

19. Mr Wrinkly

Very sad to hear - she was everyone's favourite because she was quite tame and an affectionate character who loved to be petted. It is only the last few years she was completely off-exhibit - she was often where Henry the Wrinkled Hornbill is now and he only moved there after she stopped using that enclosure.

I am surprised TZFan did not know how she became blind. It has always been quite commonly known, but I realize you don't get there very often and don't have much chance to talk to people.

m30t likes this.
  20. TZFan

Honestly I don't think I ever even saw Aasha in person. You know me Mr Wrinkly I'm a mammal lover and I like the birds but don't invest much in them and forget the rest. I look at them but the history and stories I know are almost exclusively mammal. Nice to know I can still surprise you!

I also didn't know red river hog was really Sir Philip Pigglesworth III. I actually feel like he's related to past river hogs because of that. But I did spend a good chunk of time chuckling reading red river hog names in the studbook so could be just a memory of another name.