Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths, and Transfers, 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

West Caucasian Tur - there are two youngsters born within the last week.

Wolf Pups - I don't think the zoo has confirmed it yet but 4 cubs have frequently been seen out with all three adults so unlikely there are any more.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I probably already know the answer but by chance is there any way to actually see the marmots?

~Thylo

3. Mr Wrinkly

You are correct - marmots are not available for viewing. In fact,, since they are being bred to return to the wild, even keepers observe them via camera and videotape.

4. ThylacineAlive

Annoying but also understandable.

~Thylo

5. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are now Baby Pot Bellied Seahorses on display in the Australasia Pavilion.
    There in a smaller tank within the main Seahorse tank.
    There already a good size but I don't know how big they are when born a sign says they were born April 11th.
    If it's the usual cloud I'd be interested to know if the zoo is raising more off display.
    There are about five or more I didn't count and didn't get a very good picture.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Mr Wrinkly

Cheetah Bomani has passed away.

That leaves 2.0 Patonga and Bakari, and 3.0 Laini, dtr Emarah, and Emma. Laini's 3.0 cubs have not been shipped out yet and I don't remember, or never knew where they are going.

Also learned that Akeelah who was moved to Parc Safari about three years ago, and gave birth there, has died.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't think Bomani would last much longer after Mahalah's passing. Emma probably wont be around much longer as she is older than her two dearly departed siblings.

Laiani's boys are going to the National Zoo in Washington where they will have a shot at quite a few eligible ladies. Once they go the zoo will probably start pairing Patonga and Laini while Bakari will be paired with Emarah come mid to late fall for spring cubs.

Too bad about Akeelah. Luckily they got 2 litters totaling 6 cubs out of her during her short stay.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. TZFan

A male tur was born yesterday morning. I happened to arrive just after. His mom gave birth right at the fence by a keeper gate. She promptly abandoned him. Keepers were in and helping the baby to stand which he was able to do wobbly. They tried moving him into the cave where mom had gone. She sniffed him and walked away again after less than 30 seconds. Keepers walked away to give her time to come back. Last I saw she was heading further up and away from her son. Luckily for the little one another female with her own calf in tow headed into the cave and was very interested in him. Hopefully she will adopt him.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2019
  9. Mr Wrinkly

Unfortunately that baby tur did die. So far this year they have two surviving females.

10. Mr Wrinkly

The two older Spotted Hyenas, Pinduli and Moja, have been getting along well and are now taking a turn on exhibit together. Hopefully this means Kanzi will soon be bred.

There are 1.2 new ostriches on exhibit. The girls are Princess and Zednick.

I have heard that finally a new male Kudu has arrived and is in quarantine.

Judache likes this.
  11. TZFan

I still doubt the hyenas will breed even with the groups being realigned. I had heard all breeding was on hold because there simply wasn't enough room for four adults and growing cubs. I think the only chance will be if Moja and Pinduli are moved to another zoo or pass away. The hyena house is just too small which seems funny since it held a pride of much larger lions but that's what I was told just after Kanzi's arrival. I would be thrilled though to see Echo's genes get into the population. He is the number 1 male and is unrepresented.

Great to hear that more ostriches have arrived. It's such a large exhibit and poor old Eunice can only fill it so much. I thought at best we would only get another male so a group of 3 is fantastic. Now to wait on the males name. Yes I have my obsession. Their arrival might explain why I saw a large animal trailer moving behind the into that area when I visited last week.

It will be fantastic to have a new male kudu. I miss Owen. He was so impressive to look at. If its the male from Florida due up he is able to breed with all three females and is recommended to do so. He is also a proven male. He's middle aged so we likely wont have him long given the short lifespan of male kudus. But we only need him to do some work and help expand our herd.

Judache likes this.
  12. Mr Wrinkly

Tree Kangaroo Nokopo, who never got along with Collins, and then decided she didn't like being on exhibit when the public was present, has moved on. Her replacement will be there "soon".

All four ostriches were out but Tuesday Eunice was chasing the new arrivals so only they were out yesterday. Apparently the new ones are comfortable enough that they are not going inside when required. The male has not been named yet.

New Kudu male Maynard will be on exhibit "soon".

Still only one kangaroo joey has been seen although there are four possible moms.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2019
    Judache likes this.
  13. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

14. TZFan

48 baby Blanding's turtles have been released into the Rouge. Exciting day for all their keepers I am sure!

Kifaru Bwana, Yi Qi, Judache and 2 others like this.
  15. TZFan

Two American Kestrels have arrived. The pair are named Leonard and Penny.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. TZFan

Two of the Vancouver Island Marmot pups, Ezekiel and Ernest, born last year have been released on Mount Washington. They are the first to be released this year. I'm sure some of the other pups born at the zoo will also be released this summer.

Zoo-born marmots get first taste of wild

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

Does the zoo still keep or exhibit Ptychochromis insolitus? I just saw that some were sent to Denmark from the zoo last year.

~Thylo

18. TZFan

The wolf pups have been sexed. Its 3 girls and a boy this time round.

The kangaroo joey has begun poking its head out. The mother is Tori while new dad is Simon.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. TZFan

A second kangaroo joey has been born to mom Bunbury. The baby was just born and the walkabout is closed for at least the first 24 hours to help give mom a quiet place where she can begin caring for the joy.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  20. TZFan

A golden lion tamarin infant was born July 14th to mom Claire and dad Dolce.