Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They've had a couple of snow geese in the former Arctic fox exhibit, for the past few months.

2. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was at the zoo today and they have introduced at least one Paradise Tanager into the Everglades free flight area.
    A reliable source had posted pictures of at least one Andean Marsupial Frog, I presume on exhibit, but I wasn't able to find it myself.
    They've also put a boa in the exhibit in Americas that's been empty forever across from the Giant Octopus.
    Not entirely related but they've finally improved the lighting in the small monkey area, they've also moved the Common Marmosets into the smallest exhibit where the Pygmy Marmosets used to be.
    Their exhibit is empty except for a single tinamou, makes me wonder if there planning a new species Goeldi's or Cotton Top Tamarin's would be nice and they're probably the easiest to acquire in Canada.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very interesting that the common marmosets were moved to such a tiny exhibit. I mean there are only three but still. The fact they first exhibit swapped with the golden lion tamarins and now moved into the pygmy marmoset exhibit is suspicious for sure. Is the exhibit getting a reno? Is there a new species coming? Hard to say. The reason for the exhibit swap in a reno would be because there are too many tamarins to stick them in the pygmy marmoset exhibit. However if we were getting a new primate I would be thrilled. I have long wanted the zoo to dump common marmosets and pick up emperor tamarins. But cotton tops or Goeldi's would be cool. With Vancouver Aquarium struggling we could be taking on their Goeldi's. They are a high value group so we could do some breeding. Another option is Squirrel monkeys. Peterborough has a fair sized group they may be needing to split up. The sad thing though is if a new species arrives we wont be getting new pygmy marmosets. I liked them. It always amazed me just how tiny they were. I don't recall seeing a baby ever, I know I must have because lots of babies were born, but I would like to see a baby that tiny again.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Unfortunately another death at the Toronto Zoo Ila the mother red panda has passed.

5. TZFan

Ila's death is a crying shame. Not that other deaths are not but she had so much more life to live and give. We finally... FINALLY... had a red panda female who could breed. She was one of the highest ranking females in all of North America (Suva's no slouch on his own). A proven young highly valuable pair. We could have been enjoying cubs for years to come. Geez if we are going to have bad luck with an animal can't it be a useless species like the watusi who have no SSP, no conservation value and can't breed... oh wait we have already lost 2 of them this year. I think we will be lucky if we are given another female equal to Ila's genetics and capable of getting pregnant. The zoo is historically jinxed with the species.

6. TZFan

8 Green tree python babies were sent to Little Ray's Reptile Zoo last week. In exchange Toronto was able to replace West African Dwarf Croc, Monty, with a new male. The new arrival is in quarantine so it'll be awhile before he joins Cleo.

Judache, TheGerenuk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Sage the former Toronto Zoo Bison passed away at the Calgary Zoo today. She is lived through by her daughter.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are these the Ostealaemus tetraspis or the other West African dwarf crocodile species?

BTW: the elderly bison female that passed away at Calgary was a wood bison or a prairie bison?

9. TZFan

@Kifaru Bwana I honestly have no clue what subspecies Toronto has or what the new male is. The website doesn't say and I don't have any photos of their sign to see if the scientific name is listed on it. Maybe someone else does or can check for you the next time they go. I won't be back until spring at the earliest.

The Calgary bison would have to be a wood bison.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

TZFan, I am a bit confused for your response: Is the first part of your response to the question about the Osteolaemus imported (in that case all dwarf crocodiles are now ascribed to 3 species)!

The Toronto Zoo wood bison were featured on this old Canadian Geographic article:
    Inside the Toronto Zoo's bison breakthrough

11. TZFan

Sorry for the confusion Kifaru Bwana. Yes the first part is about the dwarf croc. I don't know what the zoo has. They are always referred to as West African Dwarf Crocodiles. Signage at the zoo might specify what exactly they are but I won't be able to check that for you. I won't even pretend I will remember to check by the time I return.

12. TZFan

Good and bad news from the zoo.

Good news - The zoo is hoping to get a female caracal up from the states. Now this plan was pre covid so it might be dead in the water but if it goes through it would be nice to have the species back. The plans did not include a male for breeding at this time but could be altered in the future. The plan is that she will move into the African crested porcupine exhibit while the porcupine move into the meerkat exhibit. The porcupines and meerkats will exhibit rotate at first with the ultimate goal being a mixed habitat.

Bad news - The zoo is looking to phase out the river hippos. Petal and Perky are currently available for placement elsewhere. That doesn't mean they are going anywhere any time soon. The adopting zoo would have to want two older cows who will never be allowed to breed. That might limit the girls choices. I have no idea why the zoo is giving them up. The master plan had called for a new hippo habitat or at least reno and expansion of the current one with a new barn but it would be super expensive to go with either option. They may be getting the elephant treatment. Too expensive to do justice to them in Canada so give them up. I really don't think they are getting rid of them to ready themselves for a reno like they did in the early 90's when the exhibit was last revamped. The plan for expansion was near the very end of the master plan so I don't see how that would leap frog to the front of the list but who knows.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Would both hippos be of any genetic value or anything for other regions?
    How old are these two in the first place and are they still able to breed?

Zorro likes this.
  14. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We will take them :D

15. TZFan

Lol, Zorro! Who knew all it took was me posting they were available to find them a home. We work faster than the SSP coordinator.

@Kifaru Bwana based on the SSP's rules they are genetic garbage. The ancestry of their mother is unknown. She shows up at Granby and everything prior to that is unknown. Because of that the SSP chooses to not breed them because they could be related to any other hippo to prevent inbreeding. They always ask zoos with hippos like them to research their pedigree so they can be bred. Since we are talking Granby the records must not exist. I'm certain if they had them they would happily help Toronto get Petal, Perky and while he was alive Samson into the breeding population. They also have 4 other siblings that would benefit from that knowledge.

As to whether they would have genetic value to another region, I think it would depend on their rules for breeding. However if you sent them to Europe for instance the odds of them being related to that population is probably less. In North America their mother could have been captive born which is the problem. If she was wild born they would assume she is unrelated to everyone and her offspring would probably be some of the most valuable. But in Europe the only chance she is related to anyone is if there's been a North American import and even then you just keep them away from those lines. They could be useful to others regions.

Perky is 29 and Petal is 34. The upper range for a female breeding is 41. Are they spring chickens? No. Could they contribute a few offspring? Possibly. The odds might not be great but if they can provide genetic value even one baby is worth it.

16. TZFan

Unfortunately it looks like there will be no bison calves next spring. In early October the zoo synchronized all 17 female bisons' cycles and in late October they implanted embryos in 15 of them. Sadly when a scan was done last week to check for fetal heart beats none of the embryos took. Could you imagine if it had been successful for all of them? 15 bison calves! I know they implanted 15 knowing full well they would likely be getting a few to none. I do like that they are working with as much of the herd as possible to develop their technique. Gives them more chances to learn things. Here's to breeding season 2021 being more successful because things are learned from 2020's failures.

17. Kifaru Bwana

To be fail safe, would it not be advisable to work with part of the herd and let the other half breed and conceive naturally?

18. TZFan

I think the zoo isn't breeding for numbers. I believe the focus is working on AI techniques and embryo transfers. With AI they are using sperm from long gone animals. The last AI baby was born from sperm frozen for over 30 years. The embryo transfers might be using eggs from more genetically diverse females and maybe even from long term frozen eggs. Our herd might not be needed enough to breed naturally, especially the bulls, but the females can carry the calves of more diverse calves.

The techniques they are developing for the bison I think they might be experimenting with on the caribou this fall too since they just announced their partnership to help breed caribou. By he way Kifaru Bwana I remember you asked what kind of caribou Toronto has and the animal plan the zoo just released said we have Porcupine caribou.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

How many of our caribou are able to be bred?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. TZFan

We have 9 female caribou but I know its a mix of mothers and daughters so some may be too old.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.