Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 13 Jan 2021.

1. AJ the TZ Guy

AJ the TZ Guy Well-Known Member

Are we gonna be losing all the bettongs? I have yet to see any of them on any of my trips. :c

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes the bettong have been on the phase out list for over 2 years at this point. They struggled with finding a good home for them in the past few years. Not sure what happened with the wombats but they stopped housing them together. They tried the tree kangaroo and they were unappreciated there. Finally one was in with the kookaburra but I never saw him myself either. Last I remember seeing one was while Edge of the Night was still around and I was a teen. Just rotten luck with them. I am sure he was there. But with the rest off display it wasnt really worth it to keep them. The real shame of it all was when the three joeys were born no one got to see them because Julie was off display.

3. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

I just saw Gerald (one in the exhibit with Kookaburra) last Sunday, around 4:30pm, the time that Zoo gets closed lol

4. TZFan

Thanks StellarChaser. I'm just not lucky. I never can afford to stay that late when trying to minimize the impact of rush hour on my long drive home. Good tip to have though for others who can visit before Gerald leaves. Having a list of strategies to see the hard to see animals is always helpful! Never did get to see Tawny Frogmouth, Makepeace one last time but used tips to try when I remembered. Maybe I will see a bettong before they are gone for good. The one I always try for in there is the echidna. My friends laugh as I try ever angle I can to see in hides.

5. AJ the TZ Guy

I've never seen the echidna or tawny frogmouth either :c

btw, this may seem like a random thing to toss in, but does anyone know if any gift shop at the zoo still sells those vinyl-skinned naked mole rat plushies? After three house moves in the span of four years and a recent room swap, I have no idea where mine is that I got many years back even after looking through all my stuff, and I'm afraid he may be lost forever, and if so, I hope to at least be able to get a new one, but with the nakies apparently leaving, I wonder if they'd even still have the plushies... ;w;

6. TZFan

@AJ the TZ Guy, I dont know about the plushy but you could reach out to the zoo. The Zootique phone number is 416-392-9110 or email them at [email protected]. They have said before that if you are looking for something not listed on the website that they will check stock for the item and ship it if you want. No harm in asking the source. If not but you get lucky with someone who remembers it they might be able to tell you the brand and you can check online. I do know a good selection of what they sell stuffed animal wise is Wild Republic, or TY Beanies. They also do Aurora, Fiesta and Gund I think. The really expensive ones up front when you walk in are Hansa. Hope that helps.

7. StellarChaser

The last Frogmouth passed away this early July, so you can't see it for a while. One keeper said the Zoo may introduce new Frogmouths in the future, but everything depends on the decision made by the coordinator. The winter season is not good time to see Echidna b/c the Zoo closes very early, wait until next year July and come on Saturday, Zoo will open until 9pm at that time and you will see the Echidna around 8:00pm for sure.

8. AJ the TZ Guy

I think I may have gotten mine at Greenhouse Gifts, can I find out what's there by contacting the Zootique too? It's also difficult for me to remember many specific details cause I got mine back when the nakies first came to the zoo. All I know is mine had a soft vinyl skin with all the little wrinkles printed on.

Oh no, so I missed my last chance to see the tawny then and likely won't ever really see the echidna... :'c

9. TZFan

@AJ the TZ Guy, the mole rats have been around for decades. I remember their arrival from when I was a kid. It was a big deal then. If its been super long you probably should maybe see if you can find a replacement on EBay. If it was within say the last 5 years then maybe there is a chance someone knows. The Zootique has pretty much everything the Greenhouse does and then some. Plus whoever you would talk to could possibly access the greenhouse if they knew what you wanted was exclusive to it. I mean they have keys and all.

Yes you missed your shot to see a frogmouth. Makepeace was super old. I wouldnt necessarily count on a return for the species. The echidna, Annie, is very elderly herself however there is more hope there because the zoo has expressed interest in getting a breeding pair when the time comes. I wouldn't count on breeding if that happens but could you imagine getting a puggle? They are so ugly you have to love them because they need someone to love them and find them cute.

10. AJ the TZ Guy

I remember first finding out about the nakies when I was a kid in the late 90s or so, maybe 1999, which I think is around when I got my plushie. I've checked around and so far had no luck, so if the zoo doesn't have the plushies anymore, I really hope I can find mine... ;w;

11. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited the zoo Sunday noticed a new fish in the Americas pavilion where the Blind Cave Characin used to be, not sure if there new to the zoo or just the pavilion they look a bit like gobies.
    Also saw some new Lemur Leaf Frogs in the multi species frog tank some still had their tails.

12. StellarChaser

The Zoo doesn't have any Blind Cave Characin now, the tank is used for Gobies currently.

13. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

The zoo just announced that red panda Paprika has officially arrived from Edmonton Valley. She is currently under quarantine at the Health Centre but they're hoping to have her paired with Suva by the January-March breeding season. They also mentioned that Adira will be using the second red panda habitat more often while they wait for her to leave so they can focus on breeding Suva and Paprika.

14. TZFan

15. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

How old is Annie, the echidna? They are nocturnal animals so you usually don’t see them much on daytime hours. Annie is usually in an underground hole when the zoo is open. I hope they get a breeding pair. However, Annie could still stay alive for a long time because echidnas tend to live pretty long. I hope they get a breeding pair. Echidnas are so rare and unique. A long time ago there was a male echidna named Norman living in the same exhibit as Annie who I suppose since passed.

16. TZFan

Echidna, Annie, is 39 years old give or take as she was wild born. She arrived at the zoo in August of 1984. Norman is indeed dead. He passed in Feb 2013. A second female whos name I never knew died in 1996. If you are ever wondering an age or birthday or death ect great resource is the family tree thread. Great go to for history stuff.

Kevin2342 likes this.
  17. AJ the TZ Guy

Aww, what happened to them? :c I guess that explains why during my trip last month, they were replaced by a Florida gar.

18. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male snow leopard Pemba has just arrived from Calgary.

19. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it finally happened. He still has a month of quarantine to go through so it's a shame we still won't have a snow leopard on exhibit for a while but hey, at least we have one and we're making baby steps towards restarting the breeding program.

Now the question is where the female is gonna come from. I think ideally we'd get Kita back since she's closest to Ena genetically (and I believe she isn't in a breeding pair yet) but who knows who the SSP will send us.

20. TZFan

Yippie! About 3 years behind schedule but I wont be fussy I'm trilled to have a solid male to breed. Just a darn shame Ena got sick and then passed. Their cubs would have benefited snow leopards in North America so much! But I will take what I can get and the number 2 male in North America is a darn fine start. Welcome Pemba! Look forward to meeting you sometime next year.

Kita is the best option we have. Forget for a moment she is Ena's daughter which is great by the way. Logistically she is the best choice. There are just 3 breeding age adult female snow leopards in Canada, Kita (Winnipeg), Leika (Calgary) and Elsa (Granby). Leika and he are being separated because breeding has not produced a surviving cub for them. She got pregnant so good news is they can both reproduce they just don't seem to be a good match. So shes out. Elsa is raising a 6 month old female cub Jita (who maybe an option if they wait until this time next fall to get him a mate but for now she's not an option). That leaves Kita who is with one of the genetically least valuable male snow leopards in North America. The genetics are so low ranking they voluntarily allowed his mother and 2 full brothers to leave the SSP population, which isnt all that big to being with. They are are not to currently breed so its not disrupting a pair. And because she is already in Canada and recently enough was crate trained bringing her home to Toronto would be pretty fast and easy compared to bringing up a female from the US. And I did mention Jita and we could wait until she is ready to go but Pemba is already 8, I think, and if Ena's death taught us anything is you dont waste time with animals that valuable and not think you will regret it. The median life expectancy is 15 so he's kinda a young middle aged because he could also live to be 22 which is the max recorded. You just never know though.

Man I hope he likes the glass the way Ena and Tiga did.