Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Births, Deaths and Transfers 2022

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

Does Zoo have any future plan for Common Marmoset's exhibit?

Last edited: 13 Oct 2022
  2. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

@StellarChaser The zoo's likely plan for the marmosets is that Samantha will be the last of the species at the zoo for the foreseeable future and the time and money that would be put towards them will likely be used on the other Americas primates, the tamarin breeding program is still going great and the sakis are a goldmine of potential. I'm no expert on the subject but I'm pretty sure the marmosets are less valuable to SSPs and the like than the other two, so they're less of a priority for the zoo to keep, and now that Samantha's gone they won't be refreshing. Of course I could be completely wrong about this and the zoo could introduce a new species to the Americas Primate Wing but only time will tell.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2022
  3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@hyena142, common marmosets have no SSP. The AZA encourages zoos who have species without SSPs to consider a swap to an SSP supported species in order to increase the potential housing space for those programs. I think the zoo will ultimately just combine the exhibits to provide more space for the tamarins, saki and sloths. However if the zoo chose to pick another species to bring in after Samantha's passing they could choose callimico, Geoffrey's marmoset, pygmy marmoset, Bolivian grey titi, emperor tamarin, pied tamarin, cotton top tamarin, golden headed tamarin, or maybe squirrel monkey. All are SSP species. There was also talk at one time of getting armadillos but I dont think that would interfere with anything else.

4. TZFan

I thought about it more and I think they will just combine exhibits now that shes passed but they may keep it separated because several of the younger tamarins are due to be shipped out. It would be a good space to get them ready to go. Dave is supposed to go somewhere else in Canada possibly with Dill. Kat is to go to the US with a chosen male but they dont know what zoo the future pair will be placed at.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2022
  5. hyena142

They already have the exhibits comboed, they just don't always use it for whatever reason. I can't see the current zoo adding a new breeding species when they're clearly hoping to start a big saki family and they already have a big tamarin family, there's just not enough space in the Primate Wing for 3 big families unless we get an expansion and we all know that ain't happening. I wouldn't say no to a new marmoset or tamarin species though, especially with how many primates are being phased out.

6. TZFan

I dont see them getting a new species either. Providing everyone with more space seems the obvious answer. I could see the zoo redoing the outdoor exhibit and making it into 2 exhibits. It would be the kind of quality of life improvement Dolf likes. Wouldnt need to expand just replace the garbage fencing and merge them into 2 exhibits.

If I could choose one species to add it would be the emperor tamarins. I love the little mustaches. Given there are no others in Canada (I think) that seems highly unlikely. Cotton tops or callimicos would be more likely since there are others in Canada if I recall right.

7. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

Silas the pygmy hippo died on Monday at the Houston Zoo. I think this may have an effect on Penelope going there.

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I doubt it. Toronto needs the space to continue breeding, and considering Penelope’s genetic value, they will have no trouble at all finding a new mate for her. Still, very sad he passed away though :(

9. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

Silas's death is very sad, but Penelope will not have to quarantine when she arrives (unless Houston gets a different hippo before her). If Penelope's move to Houston gets canceled, then she could move to San Francisco to be paired with 2-year-old Akobi.

10. TZFan

Penelope has founder parents and she is the first born for both so can be paired with literally any male except her father. Getting her a new mate in Houston would be far easier then waiting to find a new mate and resubmitting everything. Just get her down there and figure out the rest once you have her. She could have already left for all we know. She was only to be available through the first weekend in October which was the 1st and 2nd. This is 12 days after that so odds are decent she has already departed or the departure is imminent. Plus letting her go means Toronto can focus on the next calf which again given founder parents is very much needed. There is really no reason to stop the transfer if its not already done unless Silas died of something they are concerned she could get.

11. Kalvin

Kalvin Well-Known Member

Puzzle the Matschie's Tree Kangaroo and Adelaide the Western Grey Kangaroo are both being transferred next week to Brookfield zoo on SSP recommendations.

TheGerenuk likes this.
  12. hyena142

More over the border, wow that's impressive. I guess the zoo was sitting on all of these waiting for covid to lighten up a bit to make USA transfers.

Shame that avian flu prevented us from saying a proper goodbye to Puzzle, it's a very sad day to see the long history of tree kangaroos at the TZ come to an end. Hopefully they do something cool with her exhibit, I'm guessing it's gonna become winter lodging for the roos but I have my fingers crossed they'll use it for a new species, like binturongs (it is the AustralASIA pavilion after all, if it can't just be Australia we might as well make the best of it) or god willing koalas.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2022
    Kalvin likes this.
  13. TZFan

For the sake of tree kangaroos in North America I am glad Puzzle is moving on. If we arent interested in getting her a mate at least she will have a chance to breed elsewhere. Too much time has sadly been lost being in Toronto. She arrived to breed with Collins and just as they were moving her out of quarantine to begin intros he died. Then the zoo decided to back out of the program but the pandemic happened and havent been able to move her in nearly 3 years. I hope she gets a good mate and can really contribute. I will miss the species dearly. One of my earliest memories at the zoo was of Emma with her joy Spike just after he started to poke his head out.

Kinda a shame Adelaide is going. I was hoping we would get a few more females out of Simon and send him packing and have his daughters and mates to breed to a new boomer. There is still time for that and we still have Shelia.

IndianRhino likes this.
  14. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

Well there goes “Chili” if the two letters so far are “h” and “a”.

15. hyena142

It's gonna be Horseradish

BovidBabe likes this.
  16. TZFan

Love you @hyena142 but it wont be Horseradish. Logic dictates that his name will be much shorter. If we get a new puzzle every 7 days and the last jumble is on November 1 then his name is 3 letters long. Puzzle 1 was Oct 11 and we got H. Puzzle 2 was on Oct 18 (today) and the next letter is A. The next puzzle should come Oct 25 and reveal a final letter before we get the last puzzle. Might be a longer name if they choose to give us some letters or double up on some letters or even next week reveal multiple letters. Makes sense they would go for a spice name since they called him baby spice all along but he also could have a Chinese name, or a name that is tied to the colour red or something none of us anticipate... meet Hal! If I am right I will be truly shocked. That was just the first name that popped into my head.

17. Zooer

Zooer Well-Known Member

Potentially a four letter word with "H" and "A"?

Can I put money down now on Chai?

(Horseradish would be funnier).

18. Hyak_II

Ohhhh I bet you it’s chai. That makes a lot of sense

(also I’m team horseradish here too, lol)

19. hyena142

Penelope's transfer has officially been cancelled due to Silas's death. She will remain with us at the TZ until the SSP finds a new suitable match for her.

That's probably curtains for any chance we had at a pygmy hippo calf next year unfortunately

20. Hyak_II

Oh, how…odd. I’d would’ve bet good money on her going down regardless considering how easy she would be to pair up.

This is a rather frustrating move (or rather, lack of move) though, as her sticking around restricts breeding from Harvey and Kindia (assuming she isn’t pregnant already), and Penelope is rapidly approaching sexual maturity, if she hasn’t already started cycling, herself.

There’s not really even any Canadian holders that could easily take Penelope temporarily just to free up space in Toronto. Calgary *could* if they were willing to retrofit the river hog enclosure or perhaps attempt a mixed species with the Mandrill, and I have no doubt Safari Niagara could scrape something together, but those are both moves that would take significant amounts of time to prepare. Maybe Granby or Parc Safari?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.