Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo- Births, Deaths, Arrivals and Departures 2014

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 29 Dec 2013.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aurora has given birth on a wide range of dates. Her first litter in 2011 was born in January. Next came the October 2011 litter from which Hudson survived. That was followed by a late November litter in 2012. Lastly there was Humphrey's litter which was born in mid November. It will be interesting to see when this years litter arrives. Im just assuming one will arrive since Aurora and Inukshuk are a very fertile pair. I would prefer to see Nikita have a litter this year but I wont hold my breath.

2. TZFan

Sad news to report. Mya, the cheetah, has passed away. She wasn't doing well and had been moved to the health center but given her age and problems the difficult decision was made to put her down. She was the zoo's breeding program since her arrival from South Africa. She gave birth to the most recent 3 litters born at the zoo. In 2006 she and Luke welcomed Emma, Chico, Elio, Jose and a DNS cub. Emma has in turn produced 4 cubs, Azu, Pico, Tika, and Akeelah, all with Rafiki. In 2008 she and Luke had Bomani, Mahala, and 3 DNS cubs. In 2009 she Rafiki had Ashanti, Miti and Wangari. Ashanti had 5 cubs last year. Miti also gave birth last year to 6 cubs. Though Mya is now gone she will live on in her 6 surviving cubs and 15 grandcubs.

On the upside warthog, Lucy, is due to give birth any time now. I would guess the piglets father is Woody but its just remotely possible it could have been Stephan just before he passed in May. Warthog pregnancies are 5-6 months and its been about 5 months since his passing Stephan's passing. I dont have an exact date for his death just May. Which is roughly when conception might have occurred.

3. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

RIP Mya :(. I can still remember when she had her last litter of cubs, which were the first baby cheetahs that I've ever seen. She will be missed.

On a more positive note, baby warthogs are very exciting and I hope they are born soon! I'm guessing the babies wouldn't be put on exhibit right away, but if they are, I will be visiting the zoo on Sunday to volunteer and one day next week for fun (I don't have school Thursday or Friday).

4. TZFan

Given the time of year it is possible any warthog piglets wouldn't on display long, much, or even at all. Even if they were born today warthogs usually nurse their young in the burrow for a couple of weeks so they might not be on display until November and by that point weather will have everything to do with whether they are on display. It's entirely possible we might not see them until spring. Might have been silly of me to even mention they were expecting when they might not even be seen until April or May depending on when spring arrives.

On a side note I love school board planning. Have a long Thanksgivings weekend and miss Monday then that same week have PE days. Why on earth don't they just tack them on to the long weekend?

5. Megakillerwhale

Megakillerwhale Well-Known Member

OMG R.I.P Mya,she sure wil be missed, she was our favorite cheetah,OMG RIP baby girl :(

6. arcticwolf

This isn't a great time for the warthogs to be born, but some things the zoo can't control. I'm guessing they won't go on exhibit until next spring when they may not even look like babies anymore.

I love my schedule for next week. Monday, Thursday and Friday I have no school and on Wednesday I have a swim meet and won't be going to school anyways!

7. TZFan

Oh Arcticwolf a one day week! Well enjoy your vacation.

They have posted the plans for both Mstari and Humphrey's first birthdays.

Toronto Zoo | Special Events

8. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Sad News:
    After the rhino talk I asked about the 4 zebras who were out and the keeper said that they lost adult female Shani last weekend. Keepers found her dead when they arrived.

They feel she had some sort of infection that either caused her miscarriage and death or resulted from the miscarriage and caused the death. Of course they don't have the necropsy results yet so that is theory.

The SSP had recently recommended bringing in a female from Calgary and moving Jake and Luke on, replacing them with a male to breed with the 3 adult females. That plan will now be rethought. Jake, at least, may stay. He apparently gets along well with Tori and she is not as represented as Shani was. Realized later young Leia was not mentioned.

Access for members today:
    In the bird barn we saw the Abyssinian Gound Hornbills, Harris Hawks, The Turkey Vulture, who is now 30, and still in the show once a day, European Ravens, an Eastern Loggerhead Shrike, the Eurasian Eagle Owl male, Bald Eagle, and Lanner Falcons.

They don't publicize this enough, but I have heard before, and heard more today about this southern Ontario shrike which was virtually extinct. The zoo has about 50 breeding pairs and for several years now has been able to release 120 or so to the wild.

Later a few pics, and some names to TZFan.

9. arcticwolf

RIP Shani. I still remember how close I got to her on my zookeeper for a day experience and she was a really beautiful animal.

I knew about the zoo having all of the species in the Bird Barn except for the ravens. I remember a couple years ago the zoo had rooks (a bird very similar to ravens) in the Kid's Zoo, so is it possible that you saw those instead? Also, do you know if the loggerhead shrike they brought out lives permanently in the bird barn? I know that the zoo participates in a breeding program for them so it would seem odd to have one animal not with the others.

Thanks for the updates.

10. Mr Wrinkly

Forgot to mention zebra Tori's pregnancy is still fine.

Definitely European Ravens.

After a lot of paperwork the zoo received permission to have a shrike in the Outreach Program.

11. arcticwolf

Thanks for replying. I never knew the zoo had ravens. I wonder if they're a new species.

I guess the loggerhead shrike is similar to the zoo's one Vancouver Island marmot that they use for education programs. If it's part of the zoo's outreach collection, I would love to see keepers bringing it out to meet people and teach them about the work the zoo is doing with this species.

12. adams7

adams7 Well-Known Member

The Zoo included information about the shrike recovery program in one of their weekly media send outs a few weeks ago.
    Toronto Zoo | Weekly Media Send Outs

13. TZFan

Poor Shani. She has been such a good mother for the zoo with three successful young, Kali, Tori and Luke... Sadly Shakira didnt make it or the miscarried foal.

When it comes to ownership of the zebras. San Diego Safari Park owns Tori and Leia because they owned Shani. Toronto owns both Jake and Luke. This wont affect any SSP plans but I just found that out in a new studbook I found online.

The zoo also owns 17 other zebras throughout North America.
    Kali (F) Brookfield
    Aida (F) Lincoln Park
    Kito (M) Lincoln Park
    Amira (F) Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    Zelda Martin (F) Fossil Rim
    Unnamed (F) Fossil Rim
    Homar (M) Mountain View
    Kira (F) Bronx
    Dorya (F) Oklahoma
    Punda (M) Phoenix
    Bakari (M) San Diego Zoo
    Bia (F) San Diego Safari Park
    Bukavu (F) San Diego Safari Park
    Mekeda (F) San Diego Safari Park
    Konan (M) Reid Park
    Dakari (F) Valley Zoo
    Zebrina (F) White Oaks

Last edited: 19 Oct 2014
  14. Mr Wrinkly

But I don't see any media reports.

Haven't noticed any signage about the shrikes at the zoo.

Had a tour of the Health Centre in March and learned about the shrikes - later found Americas keepers knew less than me, although the two I asked were not very senior.

15. adams7

adams7 Well-Known Member

Scroll down, its is the 3rd thing listed (I've included the text below). Since the shrikes are not on display at the Zoo, there is no signage. The captive breeding and re-introduction programs at the Zoo are usually coordinated by the curators and staff in the Health Centre. Most of the keepers that you find on-site are not involved in these programs and therefore, will not always have the details about them.

SUCCESSFUL RELEASE OF ENDANGERED LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES BACK INTO SOUTHERN ONTARIO

The Toronto Zoo proudly announces it has been part of a successful collaborative effort, in conjunction with Wildlife Preservation Canada, Environment Canada, and other partner facilities, to breed and release loggerhead shrikes back into the wild in Southern Ontario.

Loggerhead shrikes are a grassland bird; consequently this species thrived even in periods of early settlement in Ontario because native grasslands were still more abundant. As viable habitat in the province shrunk, so did the population, and by 1997, the population of shrikes dropped to a low of only 18 pairs.

The Toronto Zoo became involved in a recovery program for this species around that time, along with several other participants. Since then, the Toronto Zoo has bred loggerhead shrikes for a release program. This year has been a terrific year for the program, with 100 young produced this year, of which 90 have been released in the province. More than 20 of these birds were produced at the Toronto Zoo alone.

Shrikes are songbirds, however their feeding habits are more raptorial, often feeding on small rodents and snakes. Most shrikes live in Africa and Eurasia, though two species can be found in North America; both occur in Ontario. The northern shrike breeds up near the tundra and is a regular winter visitor to southern Ontario. The loggerhead shrike however actually breeds in Ontario, but the population has been dwindling for years, leaving the eastern subspecies in peril.

The loggerhead shrike is an excellent ambassador for a habitat which is desperate need of protection (i.e. grasslands). By protecting their habitat, we also secure a future for other at risk inhabitants, such as the eastern meadowlark, upland sandpiper, and grasshopper sparrow . It is hoped that through the continued protection of valuable habitat, coupled with augmentation of the wild population through captive breeding, that the loggerhead shrike will regain a thriving population in the province for nature lovers to be able to enjoy for years to come.

16. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

The two ravens are new as of last winter, they were living in the Eurasia Reindeer barn along with the Goats with plans to put them out in the Kids Zoo after they trusted the Keepers a little more. They are named after two singers, Kelly (Clarkson) and Kurt (Cobain) if I'm not mistaken.

While I was there the keepers were working on crate training with them, so if they are in the BB then they must have completed that, or needed the stall in the Reindeer barn for something new.

17. Mr Wrinkly

Yes, I saw the media send-out, but no media have picked it up, according to Google.

Keepers, staff, and volunteers are not informed enough, although some pay attention and are always bringing conservation into their talks and can answer questions if you ask in the appropriate area.

I also believe they should be working in more signage about their work. But, another thing that needs more funds.

Marketing and fund raising people also don't feel the zoo does enough. Funds, and endless approvals needed, I believe.

18. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went to the zoo today. Not much to report on, but here’s what I got.

Gorillas were pretty active indoors. Nneka and Ngozi were hanging out at the back window. Ngozi was snacking on some, what looked like seeds, while Nneka was playing with one of the jugs that wwas hanging. Nassir comes along and sways the jug causing it to hit Nneka in the head, knocking her down. Nneka ran back to mom and vocalized to get her attention. Since Ngozi didn’t see what happened, she just gave Nassir a dirty look.

A keeper was fed Hippo Samson a pumpkin, so I got to watch that. Keeper talked a bit about the tumor on his leg, saying that it stifles his walking a bit, but they keep his weight low so he can still move around.

Also got to talk with the Zebra situation. The one thing they do know is that Shani’s death wasn’t a struggle. It happened seemingly instantly. There were no scuffs indicating that she was trying to get up after falling down, which is usually the case in a four legged animal death.

As for what going to happen with future breeding and animal holding, they been a lot of discussion. There’s talks about sending Luke and Leia away and bringing in a new female. Or putting Luke and Leia in the yard with Norm the Warthog. Or sending Jake away and bringing in a new male. A definitive choice hasn’t been made yet.

Lastly, both Tree Kangaroos, Nokopo (F) and Harrington (M) were on exhibit toay.

19. TZFan

Warthog, Lucy, gave birth to 5 piglets on October 28th. One of the babies wasn't doing well initially so there may only be 4 babies come spring. Not surprising with warthogs. Its not uncommon for one or more to not make it.

20. TZFan

Massassauga Rattlesnake, Robin, is recovering very well after being run over by a bike. She had spinal damage but has since regained 60% function. Just another testament to the fabulous work the zoo does.