Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Conservation

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Cloudedleopard6, 11 Jul 2014.

Tags:
  1. Cloudedleopard6

Cloudedleopard6 Active Member

Okay so I had a quick look through and didn't see a thread with a similar topic but I'm sure there is one. Anyways I've heard it and I'm sure you all have before too, the know it all quote "animals don't belong in a zoo/captivity they belong in the wild" and to some extent I agree with this quote (mainly when it comes to whales and private road side zoos that can't properly care for their animals) but I don't think people realize when they say this how wrong they can be! Without zoos like the toronto zoo that focuses on education and conservation we would be pretty close to losing certain animals for ever! The zoo does some amazing work for animals all over the world and I think that should be recognized!
    One of the most annoying things to me though, is when people say it just because they "love animals" but they have no knowledge about them. What they eat, how far they travel in a day ect. Before making comments about te zoo being a bad place! The lion exhibit may seem small to you as a human because you have a preconception of lions running around in the wild but they are felines at heart and they love to laze around all day unless they has to hunt, so no the lions don't need a massive exhibit like the giraffes do.

Anyways I apologize for the rant but I thought this would be a good place to talk about some great things the zoo has been doing for animals!