Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2014.

1. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

anyone know if the zoo is walking some of its animals in the rouge park? I saw a LOT of dung along the path from park rd to twyn rivers road. Just a very strange thing to see. I also saw some wild beavers which was pleasant.

I hope I have some time to go to the zoo soon.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I highly doubt the zoo takes any of its animals on walks off zoo grounds. They wouldn't want to expose them to anything if they can avoid it. Very few species actually ever leave their exhibits and holding and go on outreach walks within the zoo. There are a couple of species that go as part of outreach to other locations but those animals are exceptions and dont just go for walks in the woods. But I could be wrong.

Its very likely the dung you saw along the path belongs to the wild animals that live in the area. Don't forget the paths we might use would be great routes for animals too. There are plenty of different species that inhabit the area in and around the zoo.

Hope you get to go to the zoo some time soon too.

3. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

I know the goats, alpacas, reindeer and donkey are harnessed trained. It was probably someone on a horse or deer. I don't know why the zoo would take their animals so far off zoo land for a walk.

4. TZFan

5. TZFan

6. TZFan

The zoo is looking for new board members. Those of you living in Toronto have until May 8th to apply. The zoo could certainly use one of us who dearly love the zoo to be on the board. It would be so cool if a zoochatter was a board member. More info at...

toronto.ca/serveyourcity

https://secure.toronto.ca/pa/decisionBody/23.do

7. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went to the zoo today and over this past weekend. It’ been a while since I last visited, so I figured I’d let everyone know what I noticed.

Kid’s zoo is now open daily. Didn’t notice anything new or out of the ordinary about it.

Red Pandas Cassie and Ralphie are now separated in the different exhibits.

Didn’t see signs of any new Camel birth, as someone said there was a recent birth.

Keepers are trying out a Keeper talk for the Snow Leopards at 1:00 pm. No feeding, just a general info talk followed by Q&A. It was pretty interesting to hear about the keeper’s routine in taking care of Tiga and Kota. They have decided to not try another litter with Tiga as she’s around 16 years old, which is old for the species. Plus, it seems Tiga and Kota have not behind getting along in the slightest, which is the reason they have not attempted to put them together in the exhibit. They’re hoping to try and put Kota on exhibit, most likely by himself, in the summer.

I asked the Keeper about the new female Snow Leopard coming from Japan. Unfortunately, she couldn’t remember the name or the zoo in which she’s coming from. (Sorry TZFan, I tried) She thinks the female is around 2 years old, so she’s pretty young, and probably won’t jump into breeding right away. In terms of the female’s arrival, the Keeper would be surprised if the Zoo gets here by the end of this year.

Polar Bears were separated today and I’m not sure why. Inukshuk and Nikita were separated from Aurora. They were in the field yard, although I’m not sure if they had access to the pool yard. Aurora was in the Maternity yard.

Can’t say for sure, but the Octopus looked smaller than usual. Maybe someone knows something about this.

River Otter Maria played with a stranded frog in her pool. I figure it was play, although it looked like attacking, because the frog seemed more or less unharmed.

Heard that Jaguar Luca isn’t doing too well. Don’t know anything other than that.

White Rhino Tom was outside today, although he stayed close to the barn for the majority of the time I was watching him. During the Keeper talk she mentioned that one of the girls is cycling, so that’s probably the reason for him waiting up there. No word on a pregnancy.

Zoo mobile is currently up and running for those interested. Commentator seemed a bit rusty.

Lots of construction happening all around the zoo as well. The Zootique gift shop is open, but undergoing some maintenance on the exterior. The Watusi exhibit is under construction. Today there was a large backhoe to remove the Llama sheds, and the barn is being built in the back of the exhibit. There are also a lot of construction vehicles in the Giraffe exhibit (both yards), so the Giraffes were indoors.

8. TZFan

Sounds like a good visit Cypher.

The red pandas are probably separate in hopes that Cassie is pregnant. Red pandas give birth over the summer and while males are usually not a threat to babies, females are sensitive and cubs have a high mortality rate. They would want to create as little stress for Cassie as possible.

No worries about the lack of info on the incoming female snow leopard. Once she comes we will get all the info necessary. I'm not shocked at all Tiga isn't being breed again. When I read that in the SSP I thought it sounded... well stupid... She is far too old now to breed. If we were talking about Kota being 16 that's another thing. He doesn't have to be pregnant, give birth or rear cubs for the next 2 years.

The otter you were watching wasn't Maria. Maria is the one who died. The zoo still has Talise, who by the way may or may not be getting a mate in the future. So long as the zoo's status doesn't screw things up the otter exhibit might be a little fuller soon. Just have to wait and see. Talise is a high priority to breed as she is a potential founder for the otter population.

Hopefully Tom will get his chance with the girls again this summer. They were just maturing last year so this year holds even more promise. It's been a long time since the zoo had a rhino birth of any species. Even longer since there was a white rhino birth.

9. Sealife357

Not sure how I missed this, but at the bottom of the Coming Up At The Zoo section of the most recent membership email there is a mention of Canada's first Cheetah Run. Their exact words (plus info on the augmented reality event);

"It is going to be a very exciting summer at the Toronto Zoo! Opening Summer, 2015 and for the first time in Canada, visitors can step into the world of National Geographic augmented reality and experience virtual encounters with some of the most endangered species on earth*.
    (*additional fees apply)

We will also be introducing Canada’s only Cheetah Run where you will be able to witness the speed of the fastest land animal on the planet."​

So looks like there is a lot to look forward to this summer at the great Toronto Zoo.

10. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Noticed a couple things on my visit to the zoo today.

On the zoo mobile I saw that they are tearing down the old Snow leopard exhibit. Fencing and everything. It’s all going in the trash.

Gorillas are now in their outdoor exhibit. I was surprised to see Charles sitting where everyone can see him. Usually he’s hiding in the back of the exhibit or behind the bush on the far left of the exhibit.

Chameleon exhibits are undergoing construction, so they’re off exhibit.

Giraffes are back outside, as the construction seems to be done.

Only 4 Cheetahs are on exhibit at a time right now. Staff is currently rotating 1 female to spend time with the males for breeding.

Only Echo was out in the Hyena exhibit.

Spoke with a Keeper in the Canadian Domain. They said that the younger pack of the Arctic Wolves being moving to the Tundra Trek can happen any day now, although she thinks that the latest it’ll happen is by the end of the summer.

Also received the first issue of Wild for Life from the zoo. Seems this magazine will be replacing the Collections Magazine of the past. Still have to go through it.

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

Board agenda is up again.

There will be an update on the pandas. It will be a talk given by the curator of mammals so nothing to read.

There is the finacial statement.
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80360.pdf
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80339.pdf

A report on the selling off of surplus stuff says they got 76 000 plus so thats nice.
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80361.pdf

The zoo has selected the firm they want to do the master plan. Approval pending.
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80382.pdf

Attendance was down slightly through April.
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80351.pdf

Updates on current projects at the zoo.
    The Indian rhino house will receive some refurbishments in 2016. The focus will be on the indoor exhibit and holding areas.

They think the Wildlife Center will be completed in 2016 which we all know means 2017 or 2018.

This spring there are some modifications coming for the giraffes around the moat area of their outdoor exhibit.

The watusi project will continue.

All other projects listed there are completed. Guess we are just waiting on the new master plan to find out what comes next.
    http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-80353.pdf

13. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

It's interesting that that the health centre is supposed to be completed next year. When I volunteered a few weeks ago, I was behind the scenes and was able to see the construction on the health centre and it looked like they have a long way to go before it's finished. I also think it'll probably be completed in 2017.

Also, about the bush camp article. I slept there when I was at zoo camp and they let us feed the giraffes, even in their old exhibit. It would be great if the zoo is planning on having giraffe feeding for the public, but I don't think bush camp was training for the giraffes.

14. TZFan

Arcticwolf you are crushing my dreams. I was hopeful that was a positive sign that I would finally be able to feed a giraffe. Ok I will just go back to hoping.

15. TZFan

Okay, question for you regular zoo goers. Has anyone noticed any difference in the presence of birds at the zoo. I was reading some articles today about an outbreak of avian flu and zoos across the border taking precautions with their bird collections. Any species they are worried about or that are endangered are being pulled from display unless they live inside full time. Everything from ostriches to penguins and everything in between. Just wondering if anyone has seen the zoo doing likewise?

16. JmanProject

JmanProject New Member

I was at the zoo about a week ago and the ostriches were all off display. There wasn't any indication in their exhibit as to why so this might be it. They were on the front board at the entrance as we'll stating they would not be on display.

17. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Last Friday none of the outdoor birds were out, including ostriches, vulture, emu, hornbills, storks, peacocks. There are disinfectant pails for dipping shoes at keepers' doors.

The ostriches were out about a month ago but haven't seen them since, and I have seen only one peacock.

In the past Avian Flu was responsible for some bird deaths at TZ.

18. TZFan

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  19. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

I never knew that the zoo has lost birds from the Avian Flu. I'm glad that this time, the birds have been brought inside and are being kept safe. One thing I noticed after thinking about TZFan's comment is that the zoo doesn't really have many endangered bird species. The only ones I can think of are the black footed penguin and eastern loggerhead shrike, which is behind the scenes.

20. Sealife357

There is a vaccine for against the avian flu, but it's only been tested on and used on domestic birds (chicken, turkey, duck etc.) and only lessens the viral load, not like those for our dogs and cats. I couldn't see the zoo paying for the vaccines and them not working.

Also while doing some additional research, cats and seals can also can also contract it.