Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2014.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed, that part we got. I just wasn't sure which one was the youngest one. Now we know it's Chuck.

2. cypher

My brother just told me that according to the Toronto Zoo Keeper twitter page they announced that a Booster Juice has opened up at the Zoo.

Anyone know where this opened? The only place I can think of is the Caribou Cafe, which has been closed for a while now.

3. adams7

adams7 Well-Known Member

The Booster Juice is located in the 'snack bar' that is attached to the outside of Caribou Café. So it didn't replace Caribou Café. Booster Juice was one of a few brands mentioned (others include Tim Hortons and Subway) in the new agreement with Compass in one of board meetings.

Caribou Café closes seasonally. As far as I know, its been open on weekends recently and may have been open on some weekdays if there are lots of school groups expected.

4. cypher

Thanks for the info adams7. I knew the Caribou Cafe wasn't being replaced, but I do remember small construction happening to the snack bar. As for the opening of the Caribou Cafe it's been close during the week, even with large school groups coming through. Not sure about the weekend.

Any idea where the subway or Tim Hortons would open up?

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh I would like Subway being at the zoo. So long as the prices are the usual prices bingo I know what I'm getting for lunch. Part of me thinks for the zoo a Timmy's would be great, tons of money coming in, but it will also suck because we all know their will be empty cups all over the freaking place.

6. cypher

Bringing in familiar brands can only bring good business, plus Subway is considered a healthy alternative next to any other fast food chain.

I'm looking forward to my next visit. Booster Juice is a nice addition.

7. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to some healthy alternatives at the zoo, as well as some larger names, a Tim's and Subway will defiantly bring some more money in.

8. Sealife357

It has become a craze in the zoo keeping community to re-enact the famed Chris Pratt pose with his raptors, using #jurassiczoo, #jurassiczookeeping, #prattkeeping and #ZoorassicWorld. Toronto just posted theirs on the Keeper feed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHy4YcvUsAEzrGX.jpg

Some of them are pretty good, and are definatley worth a look.

9. Sealife357

Went to the zoo yesterday, got a little burnt but it was a nice day for the zoo;
    -Joe the goat passed away last summer, old age
    -The Avian Flu is causing some stress with the keepers, unable to put out their birds outside its causing space issues
    -Raven training is on hold till the keepers can separate them and train them separately, easier that way
    -The keepers are trying to train the other goats to run the race for the show, Holly isn't looking so good and walks most of her "races", Niles has taken Joe's place
    -You won't see much of Scooter for awhile, he had a allergic reaction on his face, which made him look ruff after he was shaved down for summer, so he's keeping Sterling company till he looks better
    -Arya (Bald Eagle) and Rosie have started flying in the show this year, taking the place of Bill and Duale respectively (due to the flu)
    -There is some bank reconstruction in the Indo pavilion, right near the tortoise enclosure
    -Cheetah run looks just about ready, kennels are painted, and some sort of pipe and winch system has been laid down, not sure how it will work, but it looks just about ready, I'll post a picture later today

10. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Are you talking about Bill the Turkey Vulture? He was in the show on Friday (gallery).

Are you talking about the European Ravens? A few weeks ago one of the trainers, who was out with Mikisi, said that the Ravens are too old to train. They were confiscated from a private owner.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2015
  11. TZFan

For those following the board meetings the July 9th meeting has been cancelled. No meetings again until September.

12. Sealife357

The one and only. I was talking with the keepers after the show, catching up with them, said the Vets gave them a no go for Bill, its possible that that changed since the Saturday I was there.

As for the training of the Ravens, there always has been some disagreements between keepers as to training and how and when to stop and such. It's possible this is one of those situations, or they could have changed their minds, or they got new information or advice on training.

Hard to say.

13. TZFan

14. TZFan

The augmented reality is being called Wild Connections and it opens June 27th. The website doesn't list the price yet.

Toronto Zoo | WILD CONNECTIONS

15. cypher

This definitely looks like something kids will enjoy. Adults may try it out, but I get the feeling they'll leave disappointed.

Any idea how long the zoo will be operating this?

16. TZFan

I think Wild Connections will be on for the summer with a possible extension to next year and beyond if all goes well.

17. cypher

If the Wild Connections does well over the summer, I can see the warrant for an extension, but the zoo should also consider that it's the first year opening. Sales are more than likely bound to be high to start off. They need to listen to customer feedback, and gauge whether a extension will be profitable.

18. TZFan

According to someone on facebook the price of Wild Connections is $5 a person. Depending on the length of the experience it probably isn't a bad price.

19. cypher

$5 isn't that bad at all. It's actually one of the cheapest things that cost extra at the zoo.

Tundra Air is $12.00/ticket or four tickets for $40.00
    Gorilla Climb is %8.00/person
    Carousel is $3/ride or 4 Rides for $10
    Camel Ride is $6/ride
    Pony Ride is $5/ride (tied with Wild Connection)
    Zoomobile is $8.00/ticket for those 3 years and older or 4 ride-all-day passes for $28.00

I wonder if there is any way people can have the experience recorded or a screenshot done at some point, and then buy the recording/picture afterwords. That would be pretty interesting, and something parents would likely want to do to remember the trip.

20. TZFan

Cypher you are a genius. A photo or recording of the experience would probably be popular. Even if they charged a little more and everyone got a souvenir photo sent directly to their email (then you get emails for send outs).