Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo - Developments 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New year = new thread. Wonder what new things will be on the horizon in 2016.

Other than the continued construction on the health center and redevelopment of some of the restaurants I don't think any big construction projects are on the way. Would be cool if we began to see and hear more things about the orangs outdoor which if the health center stays on track might begin the real planning stages.

With animal developments the biggest news here will be the debut of the panda and polar bear cubs and the eland going on display with the giraffes.

2. TZFan

Tip for those of you visiting the lion cubs. A friend was speaking with their keeper and if you want to see the boys at their most active come by the exhibit during the first hour they are on display (11:30 am - 12:30 pm). Makes sense they have the most energy when they first get outside.

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Noticed that during my visit. Keeper also mentioned it during a Keeper talk before they went on exhibit. The cubs run around and play early on and crash hard.

4. TZFan

5. TZFan

The lion cubs will now only be viewable on weekends provided the weather is nice. This is being done for the time being so the boys can be introduced to Fintan and Lemon and to allow for them to settle into a pride of 7.

6. cypher

7. TZFan

Our pandas are once again up for some very prestigious panda awards.

Panda Cub of the Year- The Twins! I would take that as two wins. One for each cub.
    Favourite Panda Outside of China - Da Mao naturally. He is our favourite rock star.
    Most Educational Panda Zoo Enclosure - Panda Interpretive Centre
    Panda Moment of the Year - The birth of Canada's first pandas

Voting - GiantPandaGlobal.com

8. cypher

9. TZFan

I don't know if anyone else notice this but according to a Facebook reply from the zoo there is a chance a webcam might be coming for the pandas! Someone asked if the zoo had one and the zoo said no but there may be one soon. I will believe it when I see it but I will definitely continue to hope the zoo finally embraces technology.

10. cypher

I hope it wasn't something said just to sound positive. Hopefully this is something that's actually going to happen.

11. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

I hope the zoo goes through with this and does put up a webcam. A webcam is a great advertisement for the zoo, if it is successful it could help drive attendance. The timing is perfect with cubs, this should be a no brainer for the zoo and they should jump on the opportunity.

12. cypher

13. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

It's great that all of the zoo's babies have been doing well and I'm impressed that we are regularly getting updates on them, whether it be in an article or video.

Webcams are something that I've wanted the zoo to get for a while now, so it would be nice if it actually happens.

14. cypher

I wonder if the discussion of Webcams is something that's already planned and going to happen, or if there has only been discussion about and still has to get approved? If it's the latter, I wonder if it'll be brought up at the next Board meeting in February, assuming it needs that level of sign-off to get down.

15. cypher

I noticed this fundraising venture has been extended to December 31, 2016 from its previous target of December 31, 2015. They didn't reach their goal by the end of last year, but at the same time they didn't have a full year to work on it. Hopefully they'll better promote, or even have events at the zoo that will go towards the Orangutan Exhibit Expansion. Here's the link if you wish to donate.

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/the-toronto-zoo/support-orangutan-survival/

16. TZFan

To me the webcam comment seemed to indicate its a plan not just a vague well maybe. In the past the facebook poster for the zoo has always said no there wasn't a webcam or something along those lines depending on the question. This is the first time were they said something was in the works. The people posting on behalf of the zoo are very cautious in what they say and there is usually a scripted answer so one would think the zoo has given them that answer for that question now. Only time will tell.

I am glad the campaign was extended. If they would advertise it more... do something with the media... I'm sure they could exceed their goal.

17. cypher

18. cypher

19. TZFan

Baby proofing has begun in the Indian Rhino exhibit. Wires have gone up to keep the calf from reaching the moat. The wires are going to make good photos of the calf hard to achieve. The wires look fairly thick from a friends photo. With the exhibit being baby proofed I'm guessing the official birth watch has begun as well.

20. cypher

It's great to hear that the zoo is confident in the being born healthy. Why else would they baby proof the exhibit? Hopefully the wires won't put to much of a strain on us photographers. Chances are full body shot will be hard to achieve without the wires getting in the way. Closeup may be more plausible.

It's also nice to know the zoo is planning ahead and baby proofing the exhibit before the expected birth. In the past they have kinda waited until after the birth before doing anything.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more panda news tomorrow, as that will be their 100 day mile mark according to a facebook comment some time last week. From what I understand, people are really interested in gender and names.