Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2016 wasn't the biggest year for new developments at the zoo other than the release of the master plan but 2017 offers some cool things to scope out for us.

By spring the new Wildlife Health Center should be up and running with our first chance as visitors to see inside the health center. I'm going to curse having to pay for a tour to see it but I'm excited to see it. Naturally with my luck nothing cool will be going on.

All of us will be also straining to see any of the building that will start with the orang outdoor exhibit. Hopefully we will get some looks when the zoomobile passes it by.

Tundra Trek could use some help. Maybe something will be done with the arctic fox exhibit after two years empty. Maybe the reindeer exhibit could become interesting again. I know don't hold my breath.

The Mayan Temple is due for renos. The jaguars are to expand into the spider monkey exhibit and the flamingos are to get an expansion as well. Considering the master plan makes no mention of it I wonder if they will still go ahead with a llama exhibit.

Also with the Canadian Wilderness scheduled to begin in 2018 or 2019 I wonder how much demo will be done to prepare for it.

The zoo is also working towards a new governing body and fundraising group so it might be interesting to see what if any changes that stuff brings.

I also wonder what kind of fair well the zoo will host for the pandas as they prepare to leave at the end of the year. I know Calgary will want them there as soon into the new year as possible so Er Shun can settle in preparation for the breeding season. They will very likely be gone by January 2018.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Re-accredition in 2017 (or did I miss anything ...)?

3. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Looking forward to next year.

4. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Glad, ... so I missed that.

About time then that some much communicated animal transfers across US / Canadian borders get underway then.

6. TZFan

I forgot reaccreditation in 2016 so I guess it was a big year which will hopefully lead to a bigger a better 2017.

7. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi friends, it's been awhile seen I last posted. I've been quietly keeping track of all the comings and goings, but since the master plan was released I've been drawn back into my zoo fandom.

Visited the zoo today, and there are a couple things to note:

- Indian Rhino Pavillion Reno: Can't believe the difference! Quite the upgrade to an otherwise boring building. The reno has given the pavillion a totally new feel, and I hope this means big things for future Exhibit improvements.

- Sumatran Orangutan Outdoor Exhibit: Talked to a keeper today who confirmed that the exhibit is scheduled and on track to be completed on time for spring of next year, and the zoo family could not be more excited. We both got emotional at the thought of seeing Puppe outside for the first time since she left Sumatra.

- Pygmy Hippos: Both hippos were extremely interested in one another, and Harvey, in particular, couldn't contain himself just looking at Kindia. It was a shame they didn't have access to each other or else I'd be cautiously announcing hope for a baby Pygmy hippo in 2017. I'm hoping their mutual interest in one another brings us little bundles of joy.

- White Lion Cubs: Still scheduled to leave for Parc Safari within the next two months. All of the boys are looking impressive, and nothing close to the little white fur balls I saw when they were born.

- General Exhibit Updates: Noticed a lot of new artwork, rock work, and general exhibit improvements across the zoo. Murals in a lot of the reptile exhibits, penguin exhibit, and a few others were all new sights for me. Once again hoping this means big things for future exhibits.

One interesting thing I learned from talking with a keeper was that the zoo is currently scheduled to lose its funding from the city by 2020. This means that the zoo will have to look for alternative ways to fund itself. It didn't seem all doom and gloom, but simply a reminder that the zoo needs to do a better job of promoting itself, its mission, and gain the support of multiple private sponsors.

Until next time :)

8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What did they change with the Indian rhino house, have they removed the rhinos untill work is finished? did they add any extra pens or yards?

9. animalman0341

Zorro, they have changed quite a bit. First off, and I think most importantly, the entire ground area for the rhinos is now covered in mulch. There is now a mural on the surrounding wall, as well as new fake rock and twigs, in an effort to recreate an Indian mud wallow. The rhinos (asha/nandu or vishnu) now have access to both sides of the exhibit, and there is now a ramp giving them access to the full area of water that used to separate the rhinos from the visitors. I spent a pretty good amount of time in there hoping to see either of the rhinos attempt to go in the water. I think the water feature adds a great new element to the exhibit; something that will keep visitors much more engaged than the previous concrete riddled stalls.

One further improvement is a much brighter pavillion, as modifications to the roof have allowed a lot more light into the area for the rhinos. Something I noticed was that there were no birds in the building. Hopefully this is only temporary as the egrets alone would make this exhibit a truly "must see" at the Toronto Zoo.

10. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@animalman0341 sound like you had a great time at the zoo, which is always great to hear. One thing I'm curious about, where did you hear that the zoo will lose funding from the city in 2020? I have yet to hear something of that nature and make me wonder, if this is true, does that mean the sound will no longer be run by the city board council.

@Zorro there are 2 shots of the Rhino Pavilion Reno in the Toronto Zoo gallery if you're curious.

11. Zorro

Thank you cypher, yes the inside of the house looks quite different from when Patrick and Indra use to live there in the 90s.

12. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Zorro, indeed. Always good to see improvements in exhibits.

13. animalman0341

@cypher I heard the information from a keeper. I'm not entirely sure what it means or if it's even a sure thing, but I do know that in each of the next couple years the zoos budget with the city will be scaled back.

14. Zorro

The inside walls use to have wooden logs about 3 feet apart on each wall I believe to stop them rubbing their horns on the concrete, Glad to hear Patrick is still siring calfs in the USA

15. TZFan

Patrick has passed away. He died in 2015 at White Oaks. Not only did he sire Nikki, Sanjay and Sayna with Indira but he sired a further 5 calves at White Oaks with possibly more arriving after his passing or more to come via AI in the years to come. Nikki was unsuccessful as a mother. Three calves no surivors but note worthy as the mother if the first rhino calf produced by AI with Vishnu's long dead father Vinu being the sire. Sanjay has a daughter Niki and sons Fitzgerald and an unnamed calf. He is also a grandfather to Niki's daughter. Sayna is a successful mom to daughter Tensing and sons Geezan and an unnamed newborn male. Other calves of Patrick have offspring too but I dont know all the names. Several are pretty young though too.

Zorro likes this.
  16. Zorro

Thank you for the update I remember his last calf in Toronto well, quite sad to hear he has passed now he was such a mellow fellow at TZ, glad he turned out to be a good breeder for the species. How are the new pair doing at TZ?

17. TZFan

Toronto's new pair of Indian Rhinos, Vishnu and Asha, ate doing just fine along with their nearly one year old calf, Nandu. Asha had some problems carrying calves to term but in conjunction with Cincinnati Zoo the zoo found a hormone protocol allowed her to carry Nandu to term.

Fun fact... Vishnu is the son of Vinu the first Indian Rhino at the zoo. Vinu and Indira never bred so Vinu was move to the Bronx where he went on to sire a number of calves including Vishnu, and Patrick was brought in for Indira. So Nandu is the third generation from his line to live at the zoo.

18. Zorro

Thank you for the update.

19. Leo

Leo Member

Why has there been such a lack of success and no investment when it comes to tiger breeding? (other than the killing of the mate). I'm always dumbfounded by the terrible layout of the tiger enclosures.

20. TZFan

@Leo there has been a lack of success in tiger breeding due to female Kemala not cycling. When she lived at Fort Worth with her brother she was put on birth control to prevent inbreeding as the pair were on display together. Unfortunately the birth control being used has been discovered to really screw up the females reproductive cycles even when taken off them. It can take months or years for it to wear off if ever. Some females have been rendered infertile. This is a problem not just effecting Kemala but other big cats. It's done a real number on reproductive age female lions. At first the zoo was hoping Kemala's cycle would be restored by just taking her off birth control and waiting. That didn't work. Since then they have tried hormone therapy. Nothing seems to have worked too well thus far because when Hari and Kemala are introduced to each other neither is interested in breeding (Kemala isn't cycling and Hari knows its a waste of time). A lot of time and investment has gone into breeding the Sumatrans but so far no luck. It is entirely possible that nothing will come of their hard work other than research but even that may help other big cats to be more successful. And yes the zoo could try to swap out Kemala for a more viable female but Hari's genetics are very well represented so finding another high value mate to balance out his low value would be very hard. The SSP would have recommended a new mate by now if they needed his genetics.

Personally I think it is far more likely we will see Amur cubs before we ever see another Sumatran cub.