Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here is an article on the ratification. Turns out there was two deaths during the closure. One of the old and rare African Llamas (I still find it funny they put the llamas in the watusi exhibit while awaiting their arrival and barn construction. Llamas in the African savanna. Hilarious). The other was a stillbirth. I cannot say for certain what animal was stillborn but I feel it is highly likely the death stillborn they are referring to is a snow leopard cub. I had heard four were expected and that four were indeed born but yet the zoo only announced three. Unless I hear something specific or eventually see it in an updated snow leopard studbook in the next year that is the strongest contender. I don't know of any other imminent arrivals expected. A possibility could be a miscarriage from Indian rhino Asha but her calf is so far from being viable that Id think they would classify it a miscarriage rather than a stillbirth. Could be something else. I would say snow leopard though if pushed.

Toronto Zoo to reopen Thursday after board, union ratify proposed agreement

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having animals die around the time of the strike is going to be bad press regardless what the staff says. It could very well be a death that Keepers couldn't have stopped, but the majority of the public is only hearing death of 2 animals during strike.

It's a shame that the death happened at this time. Hopefully we'll find out the death of the stillborn sooner rather than later.

3. adams7

adams7 Well-Known Member

4. TZFan

Oh based on the media report neither death seemed preventable. An old llama is going to die eventually. Just a matter of time. If it hadn't been during the strike it would have been sometime soon. And a stillbirth simply cannot be prevented even in humans. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. No amount of keeper and vet intervention would prevent a stillbirth if the baby dies before being born. I'm glad it was a tur over a snow leopard. The info I got must have been wrong. The tur seem to always have stillbirths or babies that don't survive long.

5. cypher

Good catch @adams7. Clearly we all missed that little tidbit.

Glad to hear that the deaths were not because of the strike.

6. cypher

This was posted on facebook, detailing an membership email that they received. Smart on the Zoo's part.

"We fully recognize the inconvenience the Zoo closure was to your membership and enjoyment of the Zoo. To make it right for the 35 lost days during this period, all active members at the onset of the labour disruption will receive whatever lost days as a result of the Zoo closure PLUS an additional 25 days will be provided to extend their membership. For example, if your Membership expired on June 30, 2017, your revised expiration date would be August 29, 2017. If your membership expired during the Zoo closure or shortly after the Zoo re-opens to the public, please stop by Membership Office to have your membership card(s) replaced with the updated expiration date – courtesy of the Membership Team. For all other members, over the course of your many visits to the Zoo, please ensure to have your membership card(s) replaced prior to expiration as printed on your card."

7. TZFan

That's pretty generous of the zoo to give an additional 25 days on top of the month lost.

8. cypher

I thought the same thing. Pretty reasonable from my perspective.

9. cypher

10. cypher

I know this bit of news doesn't always interest everyone, but the Board meeting that was schedule for later this month, has been moved to September 28. Sucks for those of us wanting official update information on key aspects, yet, not all that surprising due to the strike. I expect the September meeting to be chock full of information.

11. TZFan

I was looking forward to another board meeting. I doubt we would have learned the impact of the strike at it because no one was there to gather data and write reports... ok that's probably why there is not meeting. I think it's silly they are not able to reschedule sooner but when does the board do things that make sense to me.

12. cypher

Went to the zoo this afternoon. Gotta say, not much to report. everything was business as usual. Some exhibit are clearly in need of some lawn mowing, but nothing that will disrupt the animal's well being.

For members who want to take advantage of the membership length adjustment. It's really fast and easy. Just go to the membership office and present your current membership card. In under a minute they'll have your new ones ready for you. I was in and out exchange 5 membership in under 2 minutes. I suggest going after you're done your day at the zoo.

13. cypher

Went to the zoo today. Nothing really interesting to tell, but there were some things that I noticed.

Pandas Er Shun and cubs are still in the small exhibit. Wasted opportunity if you ask me. I’m hoping the switch will come sometime this summer. It could be that it hasn’t been done due to the strike.

I noticed 2 photo booths throughout the zoo. One at the Caribou Café and another by the Giraffe exhibit near the 3 small elephant statues. Thought they were a pretty neat addition, but their placement can be helped with signage. They can be easily missed by people not paying attention. And before you ask, I never checked the price for using the booth.

14. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The photo booths sound like a good idea.

I wonder with the pandas if it's not a matter of Er Shun's comfort. I did see photos of them in the larger enclosure prior to the strike, even though I was never fortunate enough to be there for it. The fact that they have largely remained in the smaller habitat makes me wonder if Er Shun responds more positively to it?

15. cypher

16. TZFan

17. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

So any news on the outdoor Orang exhibit? Have the Gaur even been moved yet? I was expecting construction to already be well underway, but who even knows if it will happen this summer. You know, I wish the zoo would keep us updated more on big projects like this, it would let the general public know that exciting new changes are on the way.

18. cypher

@GorillaFan15 I don't have any updates on the Orangutan Outdoor exhibit, maybe someone else does, but I'm guessing the strike put it way behind schedule.

19. Lions

Lions Member 5+ year member

Gaurs with trailer in the yard still at the zoo as of June 18th.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any idea where / what zoo they will go to?
    (somewhat sad to see this impressive cattle species go)