Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Visited the zoo today, still no word on exactly when the lion cubs are leaving. They are getting the crates ready to start the crate training. All the cubs had their vet exams last week, and a patch of fur has been shaved down on each to allow the keepers at Parc Safari to tell them apart.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the zoo's facebook and twitter page, there's a short clip showing one of the River Otters enjoying the snow, sliding around. For a brief moment, both Otters can be see in the outdoor exhibit.

Nice to know that they are together now. I really need to head down there soon to check them out.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is otter breeding season so makes sense that they put Talise and RJ together ASAP. Talise is getting up their for a female otter to breed for the first time so missing another breeding season when Talise is a potential founder would have been a waste. However even if the breeding season is a bust do not count on Talise and RJ staying together. Once breeding season is over it is the SSP's recommendation that all breeding pairs be kept separate to simulate their natural social habits and thus promote breeding. Enjoy watching them as a pair while you can.

4. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

It was just announced on the zoo's facebook that the lion cubs will be leaving after this weekend. According to the post they will on exhibit through Saturday, particularly during the 1:30 keeper talk.

5. TZFan

6. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

Harvey & Kindia the pygmy hippos were together today (& apparently yesterday)...everything was going extremely well...the keeper said Harvey was very tired...

7. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Visited today, a few notes of interest.

During the keeper talk for the lions, they were asked about carcass feedings and a keeper mentioned there is a plan for a "cat" week in the summer, August I believe, where each of the big cats in the zoo will do a carcass feeding.
    Someone asked about breeding the whites again, keepers noted that was currently not planned but (as has been said on here before) ultimately it is not the keepers decision. The keepers interpretation of the master plan though was that the zoo would have both white lions and tawny lions way down the road.

For some reason the lynx kittens and their mom are off exhibit. Multiple signs are up indicating this at their exhibit, including some attached to the fencing. I rarely go down to the domain so I do not know if this is a one day thing or has been going on for a while.

I heard a rumor that there was a new breeding female cheetah at the zoo that had yet to go out.

Of most interest, both snow leopards were out on exhibit together! I went by several times and they were always in their cave laying up against each other.

8. cypher

I haven't been to the zoo since late December. Chances are I won't be able to go tomorrow. So, I'm going to be missing my last chance to see the Lion Cubs, which isn't all that much of a worry.

But I like the development of the different animal pairings happening. Otters, Pygmy Hippos, Snow Leopards. Really looking forward to seeing some of these couples.

9. TZFan

Cypher don't forget the new saki, the ever present hope of a white rhino calf, possible arctic wolf pups, now fully mature clouded leopards, more camel calves, maybe spring penguin chicks from new pairings just to spit ball some of the other interesting possibilities. And my ever present dream of an orang infant.

10. cypher

@m30t, are the Panda cubs still in the small exhibit with Er Shun, or have they moved to the larger exhibit?

11. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

@cypher as of Saturday they were still in the small exhibit.

12. cypher

That's a big disappointment. I was truly hoping they'd move the cubs to the large, visually more appealing, exhibit. A shame and a waste in my opinion. Not only that, the limited viewing of the small exhibit works against them when it comes to the large oversized cowards of people trying to get a look at them.

Hopefully this will change come spring time and the zoo is back in full throttle with the large cowards.

13. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I fully agree. I find when the cubs are active, the viewing area is almost always a battle to get a spot.

Purely speculation, but I wonder if they are waiting for March break. After last years baby boom, this year does not have much of a marketing opportunity. The cubs debuting in the big yard would at least be something of a selling point. One that you and I would both greatly appreciate.

14. TZFan

I would assume they will swap the pandas in each exhibit as the cubs are bigger and much more active now but one also should take into account it's not just about viewing the cubs. If Er Shun just isn't comfortable in the big exhibit... a space she has rarely been in since moving to Toronto four years ago... they probably wont make the switch. Her comfort level needs to be right. That said though they will start the weaning process over the summer too so maybe the cubs will start getting alone time in the big yard. They will want the cubs independent in time for the move to Calgary next winter to give Er Shun the best chance at being ready to mate with Da Mao during the 2018 breeding season.

15. cypher

Went to the zoo yesterday. Didn’t really have a choice with the nice weather we’re having. Nothing really new to speak of, but I noticed a few things.

Red Pandas Cassie and Ralphie were in the second yard, which I found odd.

Both Snow Leopards were on exhibit, although I didn’t get any pictures of them

Both River Otters were on exhibit, although, again, no photos. This time I’m blaming the other visitors for setting up camp right in front of the underwater glass viewing.

Got a picture of the female White-Faced Saki. I’ll post the picture soon.

White Lion adults are now without cubs on exhibit, as we all know. Fintan, Makali and Lemon seem to be taking the quiet time in stride.

Pygmy Hippos were in separate holdings right next to each other. Quite vexing, as I was hoping to get some shots of them together.

16. TZFan

Don't go expecting much out of Cassie and Ralphie being together. The odds of Cassie ever getting pregnant is virtually nothing now due to her age and never having been pregnant. Those new females will probably arrive sometime over the summer so they can settle in before next falls breeding season.

Fingers crossed on the snow leopards. A February breeding would mean cubs on display by July maybe August.

It's also otter breeding season so good luck to RJ and Talise.

I doubt we will see a saki baby anytime soon but that's more about Tia not having had an infant in so long and probably being on birth control that whole time.

The lion cubs are gone so its not quiet time for the adults. Its their new normal.

Keepers took three others with them to Parc Safari... lynx Ember and her girls. Another female will likely be arriving soon enough to join Ryan. According to the SSP Ember and Ryan were a genetic mismatch. Once the kittens are old enough Ember will head to Edmonton if Parc Safari doesn't stay her home. She would be a non breeder there as she is the second least valuable lynx in North America.Ryan's new mate is 8 year old Chayne arriving from Thompson Park Zoo.

Toronto is looking to more cheetah change ups. Three year old male Bakari is arriving from the National Zoo. Two year old female Mahala will also arrive from San Diego Safari Park and getting a new name as we already have our own Mahala. Akeelah will go to San Diego in return. Also I can confirm a new female cheetah has arrived from Parc Safari and supposedly it is Laini. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Toronto was toying with sending Tika there too but if Bakari does arrive then he could breed with her.

17. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Went to the zoo on Saturday and I have a couple of things to note from talking with some keepers.

Clouded Leopards- have mated, and cubs are hopeful in the near future.

Pygmy Hippos- repeated mating sessions, calf hopeful within the next year.

Snow leopards- have mated, keepers expecting a mid May due date for Ena.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anything on the white rhino front (in terms of - succesfull - matings)?

How and when do they do introductions (do they use hormonal and behavioral indicators and // or do they use conditioning for blood hormone levels and other medical procedures)?

19. TZFan

As always the white rhinos are a tricky question. The zoo keeps both females with one of the two males with them all the time from spring through fall when they can easily be kept on exhibit. In the past Tom was the one who was kept with the girls because he is the better genetic match. They had two problems with that. First Tom knew to mount but not how to breed so he would just stand there and nothing would happen that should produce a calf. Last summer he finally figured out what he should do and finally bred one of the girls at least. Who knows if it was successful. If I remember right the breeding was later in the summer so it would be a late fall calf which we wont see until spring 2018. The second problem the zoo has is that both females are protective of their sister. They tend to chase Tom off when the other is cycling. I don't know why the zoo hasn't tried to separate the girls during estrus to give the boys the best chance possible. Tony was introduced to the girls last summer and he is more aggressive and dominant than Tom. The hope with introducing him was either to get a male in there who wont back down or be chased away increasing the odds of breeding or to make the girls appreciate Tom and give him more of a chance. I have no idea if Tony actually was left with them while they were cycling and if he did breed with one or both of them.

I don't know much more about the breeding for the white rhinos than that. I would assume they use all kinds of medical and behavioural indicators. Toronto has a very strong reproductive research program so it would be insane if they were not using every bit of technology they could to give them the edge in getting a rhino calf that will be wildly popular. If a calf isn't on the way this year already they will be doing absolutely everything they can this year to get one... hopefully two... calves for 2018. They will need very cool baby possible in 2018 to make up for the departure of the pandas since no massive exhibit opening is due to happen until maybe 2020. The return of the Amurs will be notable and the outdoor orang exhibit will be significant but neither have the potential to be the same draw the pandas were.

20. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another update I forgot to post, the Gaurs will be moving to Parc Safari by the end of March. Hopefully this means everything is on track for the Orang outdoor exhibit. There was a large ungulate transport trailer in their exhibit, which im sure they're getting comfortable with.