Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I forgot about the gaur news too. I've known that for days but just never remembered to post it. For me the gaurs are a very forgettable species at the zoo because they are so isolated. I'm glad they are going. They can be appreciated at Parc Safari where they will be reunited with one of Flower's older boys. My overwhelming reason for wanting them gone though is the orangs. I pray everything stays on track or even ahead of schedule for the orangs outdoor exhibit. Puppe isn't getting any younger and it would just break my heart for her not to see the outdoor exhibit. It needs to get done asap so the old girl can enjoy as much time outside as possible before the end comes.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At the Orangutan Keeper talk on Saturday, I didn't get a chance to talk with the Keeper herself, but she mentioned that more input and talk surrounding the outdoor exhibit is continuing.

Also, glad to hear about the breeding that has occurred.

3. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

All of the breeding news is very exciting. It seems like this could be another great year for babies at the zoo.

I'm a little sad about the gaur leaving, but if it means we're one step closer to the orangutan outdoor exhibit then it's worth it.

4. cypher

So if the Gaurs are leaving, I wonder if they'll return for the Indian Rhino redevelopment in the new Master Plan. If I remember correctly, they are mentioned to possibly be sharing an exhibit with the Indian Rhinos and Asian Otters.

5. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

It would be great to see the gaurs back (they are an impressive species in their own right) particularly with the Indian rhinos. Have other zoos kept these species together before? There are lots of large mixed species exhibits for African hoofstock but it seems like there a far fewer for south Asian, even though the megafuana has remained relatively intact in that region into the modern era. It be nice if they could throw some swamp deer barasingha in there too.

6. TZFan

Palorchestes other zoos do keep the gaurs with indian rhinos. Only example that springs right to mind is San Diego Safari Park in a massive field exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. cypher

For those interested the agenda for the March 2, the Toronto Zoo Board meeting is up.

Decision Body Profile

8. cypher

Got a chance to glace over the agenda topics for the Board meeting taking place Thursday. Most of it is primarily signing off on Budgets already established. Nothing really interesting to note in that respect.

However, in the Capital Project Update and Variance Report December 2016 report, there were a couple interesting points in future development.
    - Wildlife Health Centre is expected to be completed March 2017
    - Orangutan Outdoor exhibit is currently expected to be completed by the end of March 2018

Let's hope they stay on time with the Orangutan exhibit, although it is kinda far fetched.

9. TZFan

Oh I don't think the orang exhibit is that far fetched for 2018. March... not so much. Ready for a Victoria Day opening... maybe. Remember they basically have a blank canvas. Rip down some fencing. Demo a small barn and that portion is read too. Demo of the gaurs probably no more than a couple of days. From there its construction. Most could be done before winter sets in if construction kicks off as soon as spring sets in. A decent summer and warm fall would do a ton. A mild winter and no problems. It's only one exhibit. The most complicated thing for them will likely be connecting the outdoor exhibit to the current exhibit or holding. That might be the most complicated. Beyond that it's just slapping up walls and viewing areas and adding climbing structures. It's nothing like a whole area reconstruction.

10. Palorchestes

They seemed to do quite an extensive rhino house reno in not much time so I hope they work that time efficiency magic on our orangs. The orang outdoor build is the great cloud looming over the horizon of my zoo related consciousness, but will it ever bring our (and the orangs of course) thirsty souls that live giving rain? Seems like an age since I first herd of the plans. As we have all mentioned before the most nail biting aspect of the project is not perhaps the due date but the design.

The Toronto Zoo when it first opened was the leader in progressive zoo design, but it seems like over the years they have dulled their cutting edge and repeatedly substituted innovation for practicality. Their is some logic their of course but what we are left with is a zoo without a real knockout exhibit or exhibit complex. Some zoos like St. Louis or the Bronx are filled with such exhibits, and as one of the best zoos in the world (at least in size and diversity of collection) we ought to as well. I sincerely hope the engineers or whomever is in charge of the design for the orang outdoor exhibit did their homework. Scrolling through the images on here one can see a menagerie of different orangutan outdoor exhibit designs. Some good, some great, and some bad. Examining them for their flaws and and pros and listening to feedback from dedicated zoo goers would be the best case scenario here from our exhibit designers. But now i'm just talking in an echo chamber.

Interestingly the zoo employment page a few months or so back posted a position for an exhibit designer. Lets hope they got someone good!

11. cypher

You both make great points, I'm just skeptical on any type of construction in Toronto and the delays they go through.

Anyways, I hope they release some kind of preliminary design so we can see what we're in store for. I'd love it if they took feedback from zoo goers, but the chances of them taking that feedback seriously is wishful thinking. When it comes to budgeting, the first things they cut are the neat idea brought to them by the Keepers themselves. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Last I heard, from a Keeper, was that the current design is suppose to have an open concept, with no-to-minimal fencing and glass viewing. I hope that remains throughout the development.

I also hope they have as few unnatural objects in the exhibit as possible. I'm talking, no big black bucket, no giant greens poles, and for all that is mighty, no blanket/bed-sheets of any kind. I know people like to see them covered in a blanket, because it seems so human-like, but it can make for a terrible photo. I have almost no full body shots of an Orangutan without some unnatural obstruction.

This is the closet to a full body photo of all my Orangutan shots.
    Sumatran Orangutan 17

12. TZFan

The coolest idea for the orang exhibit already appears to have been cut long ago. Originally there was talk of doing an o line much like the Smithsonian. A high wire course that would get the orangs up and out of the exhibit high above guests where they could travel and get more mental and physical stimulation. I'd have killed to see that get implemented but now it appears a dead topic.

13. cypher

Something similar to the O Line at the Smithsonian would be an amazing addition to the zoo, but I only wonder where it would go exactly. As in, where would point A of the O line be and where would point B (and any other points) be located. Doesn't seem like a lot of space to have anything interesting happen.

14. TZFan

An O line could work I think. Now large poles would be needed in lots of places but bring the start of it out from the outdoor exhibit to somewhere around the rhinos. Loop around that area. Bring them maybe out to the entrance and zip back maybe around the tigers and the back of the pavilion and around to the exhibit again. It could be done. Would it be done... nope.

15. cypher

I can see that working. I assume the different poles keeping the O line up are built as to not allow the Orangutans access to the ground?

Anyways, yeah, I don't see the zoo doing something like that. Too much risk of something (anything really) happening.

16. TZFan

17. Palorchestes

Lets not forget much improved advertising. Last year I saw numerous ads for the Zoo in bus stops and billboards across the GTA. Also having a dedicated and constantly updated facebook page has probably done a lot as their posts consistently get hundreds of likes and many overwhelmingly positive comments. Having cameras for the pandas as well has been a huge benefit im sure. As we know the videos of the pandas winter antics have gone viral with millions of views, even being featured on the National Geographics website. The benefits of embracing new technology I suppose.

Sealife357 likes this.
  18. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Exciting development on the panda front. From a post on the zoo's facebook page:
    "Our giant panda cubs have started to explore the north panda habitat!

You may spot Jia Panpan and Jia Yueyue with mom, Er Shun, in the north habitat on your next visit. Please note it is weather dependent and times may vary as they alternate with Da Mao."

19. cypher

That's great news. Hopefully, as it gets warmer, the higher the chances of them being permanently moving to that exhibit. I can't wait to see them there. Maybe then I can get a nice, clear and unobstructed shot of them for once.

20. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I agree. While the cubs are certainly much larger now, I cannot wait to get to the zoo and get some clear shots of them.