Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the zoo's facebook page, they mention that there is now a new Red Panda Keeper talk at 11:00 everyday, weather permitted.

Personally, I'd like them to introduce more keeper talks with varies animals. (Can't think of any specifically at the moment)

In the facebook post they provide a link which is linked below. It doesn't mention the Snow Leopard talk they use to have at 1:00 when Eurasia first opened up. Does that still happen or not?

Toronto Zoo | Meet the Keepers

2. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Last time I was at the zoo (early February) I showed up for the snow leopard talk and there was no indication of anything happening. I waited till about 1:10 before moving on.
    My last experience with the actual talk was underwhelming, it was about a year ago, was only a couple of people and the keeper basically commented how no one comes to this talk, told us which cat was on exhibit, asked if we had questions and then tried making noise with their keys to get the cat to be active. Probably my least favourite of all the keeper talks.

I could not agree more cypher. Additional talks would be fantastic, perhaps for the wolves, tigers or hyenas. I think they generally work better in outdoor spaces that can accommodate the large crowds. A clouded leopard talk would be fascinating but could only accommodate a few people. I'd also like to see additional talks for the animals they already do them for. For example, lions at 1030 and 130. I know they do this with the polar bears in the summer. I think it would give a lot more options for visitors to see the talks and I think the talks are one of the more effective ways the zoo communicates to guest about conservation issues.

3. cypher

Interesting, because I went to one of the first Keeper talks at the Snow Leopards and had pretty much the same experience. I figured it was because of the lack of people showing up. However, it seems to be the same case that I've heard from a couple people now. Probably a good idea to get rid of the talk altogether. Wasn't that entertaining nor was it all that informative on the educational front. I find the better talks are the ones in which the animal is fed, thus getting them to move, ie. Lion and Cheetah talk. Komodo Dragon talk can be boring when it's not fed.

I'd love to see the the Wolves moving around during a Keeper talk, but I feel like the fencing would get in the way for great photo opportunities. Would also love a Hyena and Tiger talk. Hopefully the Keeper talk will return with the Amur Tigers after the Pandas leave.

Great idea on having multiple talks for a species during peak seasons. Getting a chance to see the animals move around twice a day would increase chances of people not seeing seemingly lazy animals sleeping nonstop. I particularly like the idea of earlier morning feedings, as that's when I'm at the zoo. The times I do wait for the afternoon talks causes me to have to double back on certain routes.

4. cypher

According to a the keeper twitter page, Pygmy Hippos Harvey and Kindia have been breeding all weekend. So fingers crossed.

5. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Great news. When I was there on Thursday only one was out but there were many keepers going in and out of the off display holdings and the red river hog/female hippo exhibit. One stray observation from the day that may be of some interest. The Indian rhino house had a group of staff in it with clipboards and checklists going over some of the building features in detail including the doors. I suspect they may be going over security details in light of the shocking and sickening events at Thoiry Animal Park in Paris.

6. cypher

That's good to hear.

7. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Even though they make it more difficult to get picturesque photos of orangutans in the exhibit, let's also try to remember the important job these enrichment items do for the animals welfare and mental stimulation please.

Sealife357 likes this.
  8. cypher

I see what you're saying @JBZvolunteer, but I think they can find other ways to enrich the Orangutans without all the unnatural items, or hide them from public view.

I just find the bucket and blankets to be an eyes sore.

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Earlier in the threat it is mentioned that a female Lynx Chayne would be transferred here from Thompson Park Zoo. However, on the Pittsburgh thread it is now reported that she has been transferred to Pittsburgh instead. Curious what this means for Lynx at the Toronto Zoo going forward.

10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The SSP is only recommendations so the female lynx not coming to Toronto is not all that surprising. Some recommendations don't pan out otherwise babirusa, Muna, would have left the zoo two years ago. Ember didn't go where she was supposed to go. Ryan is a fairly valuable male so I'm sure the zoo and SSP are considering other options for him. There are young females available for placement, for instance a pair of sisters under a year old at the Biodome. Just depends on their relationship to Ryan. They will find a suitable match.

11. cypher

This is an article I came across online talking about a committee meeting about end the practice of keeping whales, dolphins and porpoises in captivity in Canada. The title of the article is called No evidence zoos and aquariums foster education or conservation, committee told. They even mention the Toronto Zoo at one point in the article.

I'm wondering what everyone's take on it is.

12. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Cypher, I don't think the link is working in your post.
    I did google that article though and pretty sure I found the article you are referencing.
    I am reluctant to say too much as I think this might veer far off the topic of this thread. But two quick observations, first I think Dr. Rose tries to make the argument that seeing an animal in a zoo or aquarium inspires people to protect them into an overly dichotomous option. Obviously there are many species, such as the humpback whale Dr. Rose mentions that are not held in captivity yet still have significant concern about them and they are recovering. I would counter though that seeing other, at times related species, in a zoo or aquarium contributes to raising public concern about the plight of wildlife in general.
    Secondly, while I have not read the academic articles, I find the methodology they used at the Toronto Zoo (how much time the average guest spent at an exhibit) problematic. First that does not account for the people who spent above the average time, and how they were influenced/motivated by their visit. Even if this is only a minority of the guests, I would argue that a positive influence on those few guests is still a worthwhile endeavor. Secondly, I think a more worth while approach would measure knowledge gained by guests. Perhaps a sample of questions asked to guests on their way in, followed by the same questions on the way out. Particularly intriguing would be the potential impact of keeper talks.

13. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

My career choice is in conservation. I have a deep passion for it and got my degree in Biology/Environmental science and will devout my life to conservation. I would not feel the way I do had it not been for my visits to the Toronto Zoo as not only a child, but also a young adult to this very day. There's your evidence.

14. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

I think I found the article through Google too...The author is a journalism major. Her emphasis on Rob Laidlaw & ZooCheck (neither truly carry actual authority) says it all...she's anti-zoo. She's highlighting only the people that she agrees with.

15. cypher

16. cypher

Funny, everyone pretty much has the same view of the article as I do. It's comes off fairly bias.

17. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Polar bears, Hudson and Humphrey, are now back on display together. The boys probably missed each other. Nice to see them back to being social bears.

18. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Um, I know this might seem pointless to ask... but are the "X"es covering the bugs section in the Americas pavilion gone yet?

I'll ask the same thing about the African River fishes in the African Rainforest pavilion too; are the tanks still covered, or not?

Sorry if this seems unrelated to this thread, but... I'm just curious.

19. cypher

Bugs in the America Pavilion are on display. Personally didn't know they were of display.

As for the African River fish in the African Rainforest Pavilion, only the Lake Malawi Cichlids are on display. The area where the Freshwater Puffer and other fish were is still empty and covered up.

20. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Damnit! That area's been like that since late 2014! Hopefully they'll remove it sooner or later... I loved looking at the Freshwater Puffer.