Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2016.

1. Lions

Lions Member 5+ year member

The current 3-cheetah rotation is Emma, Mahala, and Tika. Unfortunately they don't get along well enough to put them out together. Akeelah and Cleo are currently at Parc Safari for breeding. We received a female in return (Lainey) who is suspected to be pregnant.

kermodei likes this.
  2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for that @Lions. I forgot we had Mahala. And yeah, Tika never really got along with Emma, Akeelah or Cleo. She preferred her alone time.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry on a delayed answer on the cheetahs. I've been seriously ill.

The plan for the cheetahs was Emma is a retired breeder. Mahalah is to continue to try to breed with Patonga. The odds of cubs from her and the zoo even bothering with her much longer is small. Shes on the upper end of motherhood and never having bred makes it unlikely. Cleo was to continue to try to breed with Bomani but frankly shes better off genetically with any of the Parc Safari boys so not surprising. Tika and Akeelah were both up for consideration as a female to go to San Diego in exchange for a female named Mahalah who could breed any male. Clearly if Akeelah went to Parc Safari, Tika will be the one to go eventually. And a male was coming in from the National Zoo to breed with any female. Lani potentially giving birth could switch things up. If guessing which male is more likely the father something says Patonga since his dad Rafiki was a great breeder. Though Bomani would be preferable because his father Luke has virtually no descendants.

m30t likes this.
  4. TZFan

5. TZFan

The board info is up. I didn't find all that much of interest. Rather standard boring stuff.

Decision Body Profile

6. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

In an email to members the zoo announced a members sneak peek of the new Wildlife Health Centre's Windows on Wildlife Science viewing gallery on May 18th and 19th. According to the email the gallery will normally be viewable only via zoomobile and members will be able to get access on these days via the zoomobile.

7. TZFan

8. Lions

So not an actual tour of the building but...two Members-only Zoomobile days?

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

@Lions no, there is an actual tour, the "Windows on Wildlife Science viewing gallery" is the publicly accessible portion of the building and will be open to members on those two days, and eventually the general public.
    It is only reachable by taking the Zoomobile.

10. Lions

Makes sense, probably better than asking people to drive around and park in the employee lot or organize a walking route.

11. cypher

Had some free time today, so I dropped by the zoo.

Went straight to the Pandas, and I was pretty annoyed to see Er Shun and twins in the small exhibit, rather than the large one. Not sure why they’re still in that exhibit given their age and size. I thought that maybe it had to due with the weather, but they had no access to the indoor section. Hopefully things change by the summer.

Some Camels were finally in the large yard. Judging by their size, it looked to be Jozy, Suria, Jamarcus and whichever adult female is his mother. Haven’t seen any of them there since last fall, even on good weather days.

Interesting note about the Steller’s Sea Eagle, they’ve nearly completely taken apart the makeshift nest that was placed in their exhibit. Rather than a large nest made of sticks, it’s now ¾ wired nest ¼ stick nest.

Waited around for the White Rhino Keeper talk at 12:00, as it’s supposed to start back up, but no Keeper showed up after 15 minutes of waiting. Sabi and Zohari were on exhibit.

Zoomobile is back up and running. During the drive by of the Gaur exhibit, there was a transport trailer attached to the indoor holding. Looks like their training them to be moved soon.

12. TZFan

My guess on the adult female camel with the younger ones would be Sally. While Alice is Jamarcus's mother she wanted nothing to do with him like she has done with previous calves. Instead they were pairing Jamarcus up with experienced mom Sally. She seemed to be taking care of him and bonding when he was a baby so I would assume she was the adult with them.

With the sea eagles they are probably testing out different nests to see what Zakkar and Zarina like so that in a couple of years once they are both mature the zoo already knows what kind of nest they will be most comfortable with for breeding.

From what I hear the gaur are to go to Parc Safari some time this month. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I want demo to start ASAP so the orangs can go outside as early into next year as possible. As always I want it done quickly to increase the odds of Puppe being able to enjoy the great outdoors for as long as possible before the end comes.

13. TZFan

14. TZFan

15. TZFan

16. cypher

I was hoping to go to the zoo tomorrow. Now I have to make sure they don't limit or restrict hours is this strike happens.

17. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Unfortunate news, there is a strike at the zoo. The zoos Facebook posted a lengthy note about it. Most significantly, the zoo is closed until further notice.

18. TZFan

I was hoping they would avoid a strike. I could care less about the issues. My main concern is the animal... particularly the vulnerable ones. The cheetah cubs are at a critical stage. Survival for them is far from certain and they need to be carefully monitored. Managers who have to care for all 6000 animals do not have the time to monitor them as carefully as necessary. The clouded leopard cubs are due any time now and they require hand rearing. Will they have time to properly care for them? Hopefully the snow leopard cubs are still a little further and the strike will be resolved before then because they are due to a first time mom. And we all know Indian Rhino Asha needs to be carefully monitored and cared for during her pregnancies if she is going to carry the baby to term. The lack of staff to care for them is concerning.

Toronto Zoo closed as workers go on strike

19. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

20. cypher

Well this sucks. Weather is perfect for photos today.

At the same time @TZFan is right. There needs to be better care for certain animals. The worst thing that can come from this is animals passing away due to lack of appropriate care.