Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The glass extensions at the tiger exhibit might not be just to prevent a case of survival of the fittest playing out. Could also be that there are new tiger regulations that required a greater distance between guest and the tigers. Maybe the wall wasn't high enough or far enough from space the tigers can use. Those types of things change all the time to ensure the animals are not a threat to the public just as much as not wanting the public to be a threat to themselves.

It definitely is disappointing from a viewing and photography standpoint but really not too surprising. At least they went with glass over stupid mesh or chain link.

Did they remove the railings inside the tiger house? Obviously not the raised pathways but the ones right by the glass? I know they were there to prevent people from annoying the pandas. Tigers on the other hand seem not to care about people being right up against glass.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

This is very disappointing news indeed. The unobstructed view was one of my favourite parts of the previous exhibit. While additional barriers may be a necessity, I would actually have preferred mesh or chain link as either of those are usually a lot easier to photograph through/blur out.

Judache likes this.
  3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@TZFan, I don't know about the railings inside the Tiger house, as that's still off limits, but I tend to agree with @m30t, as long as the fencing is black. White fencing, like the one over the Snow Leopard exhibit can be a pain depending on lighting.

A number of challenges come with glass. Reflection, refraction, and blurriness to name a few. But honestly, I was looking forward to the unobstructed view of the Tigers, like we had with the Pandas.

New regulations does sound like it would make sense, as that lines up with the lengthy delay in the exhibit opening up, which was originally scheduled for Canada Day

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. TZFan

@cypher I clearly defer to your expert opinion on glass verse other options. You are an amazing photographer. The glass though was most likely chosen with photographers needs being compromised in favor of whatever would make the regular guest most happy. So many go around without even using smartphones. For those people glass is best. At least there is black fencing elsewhere at the exhibit. I was afraid they would leave the bamboo fencing up.

Interesting to hear the house is still off limits. I would have thought it would require the least changes. Maybe change out the exhibits dressing but the murals could have stayed unless they are doing something more impressive which I kinda don't think is likely. It will be interesting to find out why its still closed when people can go back in. Perhaps its closed off just to give Vasili and Kira a place to hide while they get used to their new home.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. cypher

@TZFan I hear what you're saying about glass being favoured, as people with phone most likely aren't examining their photos like someone using a camera.

And when I said the Tiger house is off limit, don't get me wrong, the entire exhibit is off limits. You can just see majority of the exhibit (Da Mao's area) when you walk by heading towards the Red Panda exhibit.

6. cypher

Looks like it's official for now. The Zoo has a dedicated page on it's website for the opening of the Amur Tiger exhibit.

Toronto Zoo | Membership | Become a Member!

Members get a preview this weekend October 20 & 21 at the hours 0f 10-3pm. Plans for opening to the public is currently set for Friday October 26

Judache likes this.
  7. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, so it appears they've now changed the public opening from Mon 22nd to Fri 26th then. (The email I got yesterday - as a member - said public viewing would start Monday.)

And btw, completely agree with Cypher about the glass - I have so many photos of red or green polar bears due to a reflection of someone's clothing in the glass! But whatever the reason, I'm sure it's in the best interests of the public or the animals.

8. cypher

Weird, I never got that members email. I usually get them though. I think it's a hit or miss sometimes.

Either way, I feel like the zoo missed out on prime time in advertising the opening of this exhibit.

Judache likes this.
  9. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to the Amur tiger member preview at Toronto Zoo today, and I can confirm that all the accessible viewing areas are now either extremely reflective glass (and it wasn't even sunny) or rather tight wire mesh. And what used to be the lovely long unobstructed area in front of the left side exhibit, is now a smaller area viewing "hut" with glass (very similar to the "maternity ward" one at the polar bear exhibit). Although it might be okay for pictures, since the roof cuts out a lot of the light and therefore is less reflective.

On the positive side, they have removed the railings inside, so you can get right up to the glass. The wooden climbing structures inside (and the wall paintings) don't appear to have changed at all from when the pandas were there, but if it works, then no need to change them, I guess.
    It did seem rather dark inside though, not sure if that's for the tiger's comfort or I was just remembering it differently.

However most importantly, those tigers are absolutely magnificent. When I was there, the male Vasili was inside, saw him walking a bit but mostly he was sleeping in the far corner behind the climbing structure.
    However the female (her name escapes me) was outside in the right-hand exhibit, pacing around, and I will say one positive thing for the glass: when they walk past, you not only get a accurate sense of just how incredibly big they are, but you're so close that - as I said to my friend - "if she stuck out her tongue and the glass wasn't there she would've licked your camera".

Can't wait to go back and spend a bit more time with them, hopefully without reflecting kid's Halloween costumes everywhere so I can get some decent pictures.

On unrelated but fun note, Juno the polar bear was having the time of her life with an enrichment toy in her little pool - literally diving on top of it and walking around with it in her mouth like a proud puppy.
    She was putting on a great show for the patrons, and it was lovely to see her back home.

Tabs204 and Jambo like this.
  10. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who isn't interested in the siberian tigers' return? Don't get me wrong. However, I feel that they kind of mess with the theme of Eurasian Wilds, where the idea is that you travel from Tibet to coastal Siberia, hoofstock notwithstanding. Ideally, I would swap the tiger and snow leopards, or substitute dholes for the siberian tigers.

11. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

If that was the idea, to travel from Tibet to Siberia then its not at all obvious. I certainly never got that. The whole Eurasian Wilds section is a travesty of missed opportunities, the least memorable part of the Zoo but potentially one of the best, especially for off season.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

The interpretives do have a map which indicate this, with the lake supposed to represent Lake Baikal.

13. cypher

Noticed that the zoo put up an RFP for "Consulting Services For Orangutan Outdoor Exhibit", so it's good to see this moving forward.

Also, the last board meeting was a No Quorum, meaning there wasn't enough members for anything to be voted on. So everything is pushed until the next meeting.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  14. TZFan

15. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

Who are the members for the zoo and why are they not meeting

16. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

@meadowvale I assume you mean board members, a full list of which can be found here: Toronto Public Appointments Decision Body Profile

They are meeting as scheduled, with the exception of the last meeting not having a sufficient number of members present to proceed.

meadowvale and StoppableSan like this.
  17. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

18. Palorchestes

Palorchestes Active Member

Certainly not naturalistic looking but far from a travesty I was half expecting. If only they could make the climbing towers more like trees and vines and less like that jungle gym next to the outdoor gorilla exhibit.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. cypher

100% agree with you

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. TZFan

Considering what I was expecting which is a total lack of an O line I'd be pretty darn happy with this. No its not the naturalistic exhibit of my dreams but I need to be realistic and just be thrilled if any outdoor exhibit is completed before Puppe dies. Just get it done so they can have more space and fresh air.

StoppableSan likes this.