Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Schedule for the next board meeting is up for anyone interested. It consist of all the previous meeting topic from the last scheduled meeting from September, which didn't happen. Plus a couple new topics.

Decision Body Profile

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks like one of the big things for the board is the Maglev train again. After no one else competed against them the board is now being asked to approve the deal. Super excited that in a few years we could see the monorail again. For those who are new and aren't up to date on what I'm talking about there is a pretty decent explanation in the article below. I know we have some new members.

Magnetic Levitation train for Toronto Zoo?

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I briefly looked at the Maglev proposal and it looks very promising, in terms of being built and generating a new source of revenue for the zoo.

My only qualm with it is, what animals will be seen from the ride? Sure, it'll be a scenic ride to see parts of the Domain closed since the old monorail, and it will get you to other sections of the zoo quickly. But will any exhibit be seen from the ride? Judging from the layout in of the ride in the proposal, the only animals you may see are main the animals in the Domain. But what good would that be if the animals are going to move out of the Domain, with the Domain becoming an off exhibit section of the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Maybe a behind the scenes tour of sorts?

5. TZFan

I don't think you will see much aside from the Tahr and maybe a random Sumatran tiger. From my childhood memories of the ride I dont remember seeing anything but deer, elk, bison and muskox but the ride for me was always about the views... and not walking down that hill of doom.

I think I remember seeing some kind of deer below the Indian rhino area. But could be I have seen old maps showing deer there. Hard to recall I was fairly young when the monorail was "retired". Yes lets call it that. I tried to find an old map to show the deer but lost interest before succeeding.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Another article about the proposed revamp of the monorail track:

Toronto Zoo considering a "maglev" train | blooloop

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

The hill is such an obstacle for people, even as a semi young person it's a lot of effort. I hope it's made well

Judache likes this.
  8. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

The zoo board has approved the maglev proposal:
    Toronto Zoo ‘maglev’ train floats closer to reality as board approves proposal | The Star

You may run into a paywall trying to access that article. Key points are that it is now up to Magnovate Technologies to raise 25 million dollars in funding and get municipal and conservation authority approvals before going back to the board for final approval. They project the earliest possible opening date to be "around 2022."

It appears that one of the main driving forces behind this idea is that the ride would act as an attraction; being the first opportunity for people in North America to take a ride on this type technology.

To be honest, it's not a huge appeal to me personally, but if the plan comes to fruition and the zoo is able to generate income for itself (without having to invest any funds) then more power to it! Additionally, it was a nice change to see media coverage of a zoo board meeting for a positive topic and for the zoo to be exploring an idea that could attract crowds.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. TZFan

It's good to hear the plan for the train is moving forward. I really couldn't see them turning it down when its free and can help move guests while recapturing the magic of the monorail. Based on the current plans for the domain I really couldn't see them doing much with that area without a better form of year round transport to it. It's just a good fit for the zoo in so many ways. Best of luck to them in raising the funds and getting the approvals.

10. TZFan

For anyone on today. The zoo is live streaming a dental procedure on hyena, Echo. Its the first live streaming procedure they have done. Kind of cool to watch. Hopefully more like this will come! Head over to the zoos facebook page!

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  13. TZFan

Is it just me or was not much major done at the zoo this year?

The Aldabra Tortorises returned in a nice big outdoor display.

The Amurs returned as well replacing the pandas in a modified exhibit.

The panda pavilion was turned into a very modest activity center mostly focusing on movie nights in the summer.

The African River Fishes exhibit reopened finally.

The zoo did get that big parcel of land for a browse facility and future breeding facility.

Oh yeah the new zipline thing off Indo Malaya.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else. Usually the little more interesting thing happens. Just an off year with the pandas leaving and I think still part of a result of the 2017 strike.

Biggest let down is that the orangs will not get their outdoor exhibit until my guess is 2020 at the earliest now.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2018
  14. TZFan

With the new year approaching here's what we know so far we can look forward to in 2019.

Construction work is finally supposed to start on the outdoor orang exhibit. I have zero hope it will be done in 2019 but at least there are now plans. I don't think Puppe will live to see its completion though given her age.

There is supposed to be more work on that new zipline experience including a canopy walk.

Winterized Zoomobile!

Ideally some kind of forward momentum on the Maglev project.

The new ticketing and parking systems might be implemented.

Hopefully something interesting will be done with the panda pavilion.

The Americas' amphibian area is supposed to get a small refurb this winter and spring.

I'm really hoping the zoo keeps up with its plan to live stream more medical procedures from the health unit.

Not a really busy year but I don't think we will see lots of developments until they start in on the Canadian Wildness.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, but is not clouded leopard Charlotte deceased (viz FB note):
    The Toronto Zoo

Her sister Levy is the surviving cub.

Mr Wrinkly likes this.