Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

When I was there last Tuesday, it looked like all the metal framing for the Aldabra exhibit was in place. This includes the exhibit barrier, and what looks like it might be a small cave or some sort of shade structure (if I recall correctly). There were several dollies of sod present. It looked like construction was in the home stretch.

2. LDTZ

LDTZ Well-Known Member

They're down to 1 shrimp. S/he was temporarily in one of the windows used for the butterflies. Now the shrimp is behind the scenes.

3. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Well. There goes one of the most unnecessary exhibits in the zoo. I doubt many people would've cared whether or not they were there; I never saw one person take their time to watch the shrimp back when they were still on exhibit.

4. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

Some new developments that I saw from my trip to the zoo... I don’t know if they’ll be new to you guys, but I haven’t been to the zoo for about a year, so...

- the insect exhibits in the Malayan Woods pavilion are currently empty. The usual sign for empty exhibits is currently in them at the moment
    - they’re down to one Malayan Bonytongue. Again, as I haven’t been in the zoo for a year, I don’t really know what happened to the other Bonytongue
    - the Black Breasted Leaf Turtle exhibit currently has only the turtles in it. I don’t know what happened to the gliding frogs and the crested frogs; chances are that I probably didn’t see them
    - the Lake Victoria cichlids exhibit in African Caves and Burrows has an Aba Aba in it - the Lake Victoria cichlids are now in one of the African River Fishes tanks
    - speaking of those tanks, the smaller ones near the chameleons have gained some different fishes; the one with the killifish has been replaced with small catfish, meanwhile the one with the African Bonytongue has been replaced with Congo Tetras, and finally the Aba Aba exhibit has been replaced with an African Lungfish
    - speaking of the chameleons, their exhibits are currently empty; why they’re empty is currently unknown to me
    - in the Americas pavilion, the sailfin sculpins seem to be off exhibit; the same can be said about the seaperches and the lumpsuckers
    - the butterfly goodeids are currently inside the Florida Gar tank; the Florida Gar now lives in a different tank next to the American Eel
    - in the Australasia pavilion, the Blue-tongued Skink exhibit is currently empty

That’s everything on my trip that I noticed was different.

5. whitters23

whitters23 Member

Happy to hear that the Aldabra tortoises will be getting an outdoor exhibit again.

6. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

That's one thing that I forgot to mention. The exhibit seems that it'll be near the exit to the African Rainforest pavillion.

I'm happy to see that the Toronto Zoo will finally be able to create an outdoor exhibit for a non-mammal or bird species (I don't count the snapping turtles, as the pool isn't theirs - its for the beaver).

7. ZooFuss

ZooFuss Member

The Blue-tongued skink is used for the outreach program so maybe they had a birthday party to go to or on the weekends we have seen them with zoo staff outside letting people get a close-up look. We will have to check out the butterfly goodeids. We are quite sure that the sculpins and lumpsuckers are no longer around.

8. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

My best guess is that the zoo is trying to get some new sculpin and lumpsucker babies.

9. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hey fun fact for those interested. If you have an android, you can scan your zoo membership onto Samsung Pay, and use it no problem. My brothers were able to scan their membership card at the entrance and at the concessions with no issues at all.

Couldn't get it to work for apple, as apple pay is something entirely different.

10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Aldabra tortoises are now on display outside!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. TZFan

The new Wild Rouge Zipline is ready and will cost $ 29.95. Check out the video on the zoo's website. I'll take a pass on it. I hate heights but even if I didn't the price which is the same as admission isn't worth a few moments of fun.

12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw the sign for the zipline when I was at the zoo yesterday. It's located next to the Indomalaya Pavilion. I will also take a pass on it.

13. tjcf2014

tjcf2014 Active Member

I wonder how that thing works...

14. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

A planned zoo board meeting for July 31st has been cancelled. Next one wont happen until September 20th. Probably wont get much new info or news documents until then, unfortunately.

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

16. TZFan

The zoo has been straw free for years. In fact if I remember right the website even makes or made the request people not use straws on the property unless they were paper. It's a way to get press but it's not joining a trend. It was pioneering it long ago.

17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Understood.

On that note, I've read on Vox that people with disabilities are criticising the movement, as disabled people need straws to drink properly.

18. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember years ago when the zoo didn't hand out any kind of straws at any of the food vendors.

Now, they hand out biodegradable straws, so I don't think the issue with disabled people applies to the zoo. They just don't condone plastic straws, if I'm understanding everything here correctly.

Yi Qi and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Couple of questions.

1. Has the Amur tiger exhibit opened yet
    2. Does the zoo have a timeline for future projects