Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 28 Dec 2017.

1. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw the corpse flower today. Very interesting plant, as far as I can say.

In addition, the Amur tigers (or at least one of them) can be seen on the Zoomobile ride.

meadowvale likes this.
  2. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

3. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those interested, I suggest checking out the 2019-2028 Capital Budget, as it lists the current schedule for the new Master Plan. It also states why there's been such a drastic delay in the Outdoor Orangutan exhibit, which seems to be due to the design team selected for the project.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd looked at that document too. It was super disappointing to see that in essence no outdoor orang design work has been done at all in the year plus since the contract was assigned. Such a bitter disappointment that they are going to have to start the bidding process all over again. Unless they get on the ball and get a new design team soon then I think it's pretty unrealistic to hope for a 2020 opening.The bidding usually lasts about a month and it's not been posted yet. Each month that passes by it gives the design team less and less time to create a plan the zoo will approve and then do the blueprints for contractors. Then they need another bidding process for the contractor so another month to bid and time to choose the contractor. No demo has been done all summer, as far as we can see from the zoomobile. It's not like if they could start in May 2019 with good weather that they have a blank slate to work with. I just cannot see on an outdoor exhibit... and knowing the pace of construction at the zoo... How the majority of the construction will be done next summer. Even if construction stretches into summer 2020 I don't think the exhibit could open in the fall like other exhibits. The orangs have never been outside and they would probably be concerned about them getting too cold. If anything is done by next summer my guess is 2021 for the opening.

It's so unfortunate that all these delays aren't even the zoo's fault this time. They should be able to trust the design firm they chose to do their work properly. Last summer it sounded like the strike was to blame because they lost the prime window to move the gaur to Parc Safari but clearly this wasn't the case. The gaur's presence only delayed demo for a year but nothings been done on that front in months so its irrelevant. The big problem was clearly the design firm. The way the document read to me was that the design firm had its own internal problems and it wasn't an issue of coming up with the right design.

I wouldn't mind waiting for it if it were not for Puppe's advanced age. She is the second oldest orang in North America at 51. Only Portland's female Inji is older at nearly 59 (the current record holder). The average life expectancy for a female Sumatran is 32 so Puppe has well exceeded that. Even Ramai has reached 32 and is considered older. Each day without the new exhibit creeps Puppe towards never seeing the outside world again. I just want our wild born old girl to have just one more chance to be outside and enjoy grass under her feet, the sun on her back, wind through her hair and fresh air in her lungs. I'd love her to have just one summer at least to enjoy nature but I would at this point take just a week. Hope she has the good health and determination to make it as long as it takes. I will be so much more upset if she passes before getting outside again then if she can make it.

StoppableSan, Judache, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  5. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to the zoos instagram, the baby Pygmy Hippo is now on display from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm! As soon as I have any free time I’m making a beeline to the zoo!:D

6. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

I was actually at the zoo earlier this week, and could see some zoo vehicles parked next to the old gaur building/future orang exhibit. I also saw some staff inspecting the area. Now I’m just speculating but maybe there is some small-scale preliminary work being done behind the scenes. If only I could travel 5 years into the future and see the zoo then.

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. TZFan

Ha GorillaFan15! If you can travel into the future why not make some wise investments when returning and buy the zoo with your unbelievable wealth so we can help you make it even better than the current plans. Arcticwolf and I spent some serious time pondering what we could do with unlimited wealth. So much fun to imagine. Let's use time travel wisely! I don't think 5 years will get you much. You probably need to leap ahead 25 years to see a different zoo.

On a serious note though its good to someone saw some kind of activity there. I'm surprised demo hasn't been done. That's easy stuff zoo staff could easily do.

8. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe they're planning to incorporate the existing building into the plans somehow?
    I'm possibly visiting the Zoo next weekend, so I'll see if I spy any activity in the area!

9. TZFan

I'm not sure much of the former gaur exhibit would be of use for the orangs. Sure maybe plumbing and electricity but its an older section of the zoo so that stuff probably needs updating anyway. My understanding of what they were considering is an exhibit reached by an over head chute. The fencing or glass will need to be much higher. They also had the idea for a viewing hut but I cant see them converting the gaur house for that. Would look better going all new. But without design plans who knows what will happen.

Judache likes this.
  10. TZFan

11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

13. Judache

There's a notice on the website (on the page with the daily hours) saying that the Mayan Temple area will be closed for construction work from Oct 1 - Nov 9, and therefore the jaguars etc will be off exhibit.
    I know some of the animals there would be going off exhibit for the winter around now anyway, but does anyone know what they might be doing down there?

14. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know that there were plans to merge the Spider Monkey and jaguar exhibits to give the big cats more space, but I cannot confirm if this is why the construction is happening. Could just be some minor tweaks. Hopefully someone will know more details.

Judache likes this.
  15. Judache

I am on my way there right now so if it doesn't rain on me I'll trot down the hill and see if anything is explained.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Judache

I didn't make it down to the Americas yesterday, but nothing looked out of place from the zoomobile.

However, I was very excited to catch a tiny glimpse of one of the Amur tigers from the zoomobile (the guide only said "opening later this fall", whatever that means!)
    And the baby Pygmy Hippo is indeed as adorable as in the videos.

One curious thing - I did notice that a training crate has been attached to one of the white rhino outside yards on the barn.

(Complete speculation following:) I'm wondering if Tony will be going away soon, and they're getting him used to it. I didn't see it until after the keeper talk, otherwise I would've asked. I know he is only on extended loan from somewhere else (in Quebec I think) and they've said before that space is at a premium in the barn, especially now with Theo getting bigger - and with the upcoming off-season for them meaning one less place to rotate them around. Plus apparently Tony's bloodlines aren't as genetically valuable in the SSP as Tom's, and Tom has shown he can get the job done.

In my dream world I think they should take some of the space outside the white rhino barn and expand it slightly, making one side of it into an inside viewing area for the winter (which of course would also double as another holding area). As a keeper said to me in the summer, if they want to expand the herd and the breeding program they definitely need more barn space - but that's not targeted in the master plan, unfortunately.. .at least not until maybe the Savannah re-jig, but we're more than a decade away from that.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rhino Tony arrived from Granby in 2012.

Judache likes this.
  18. Judache

Amur tiger exhibit is finally opening to the public on Monday Oct 22!
    Members can preview this Sat Oct 20/Sun Oct 21, from 10am-3pm.

Not sure if I'll make it this weekend, but I do have a visit already planned in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see them!

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. cypher

Got a chance to head to the Zoo yesterday. It’s been a while, so I really tried spending time at some exhibits to get my shots. Anyways, here’s what I noticed.

Not sure for the reasoning, but the Cheetah talk is now at 11:30 instead of 1:00.

All five Polar Bears were on exhibit which was nice to see. Aurora and Nikita were in the field yard. Hudson and Humphrey in the pool yard, and Juno in the Maternity yard.

Pretty sure this was already mentioned, but it’s interesting to see that the Steller’s Sea Eagles have 1 large exhibit, as their exhibit is now connected to the old Eurasian Owl exhibit.

Lastly, the biggest thing I noticed will surely disappoint my fellow photographers.

When walking by the, currently under renovation Amur Tiger exhibit, I noticed that we no longer have a clear view of the exhibit from the railing that we were once able to look out to Da Mao from. They have installed large glass walls, much like the Polar Bear exhibit.

I find this greatly disappointing, as I was looking forward to taking shots of the Amur Tiger unobstructed. At the same time, people are moronic, so I understand why they’re doing it, especially considering the latest ***** to make a scene at Ripley’s Aquarium. I just find it unfortunate.

StoppableSan and TZDugong like this.
  20. cypher

Of course it opens when I won't be available. Hopefully, I can make it this weekend.

StoppableSan and Judache like this.