Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

The zoo celebrated Indian Rhino, Kiran's, first birthday! I like to see in the video the zoo has really embraced doing up fun celebrations for the public see! I was afraid that would go away when the pandas left but they seem to be getting people like to see these things.

Toronto Zoo celebrates first birthday of one-horned rhino Kiran

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

Judache likes this.
  3. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member Premium Member

Watching for TZFan's informed predictions for this year, I finally realized they were at the end of the 2018 thread. I am sure TZFan won't mind that I have copied that post here:

Construction work is finally supposed to start on the outdoor orang exhibit. I have zero hope it will be done in 2019 but at least there are now plans. I don't think Puppe will live to see its completion though given her age.

There is supposed to be more work on that new zipline experience including a canopy walk.
    Winterized Zoomobile!

Ideally some kind of forward momentum on the Maglev project.

The new ticketing and parking systems might be implemented.

Hopefully something interesting will be done with the panda pavilion.

The Americas' amphibian area is supposed to get a small refurb this winter and spring.
    I'm really hoping the zoo keeps up with its plan to live stream more medical procedures from the health unit.

Not a really busy year but I don't think we will see lots of developments until they start in on the Canadian Wildness.

TZDugong, Judache, m30t and 2 others like this.
  4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

The zoo is asking people to tell them what they want to see more of on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter in 2019. This is a brilliant idea! Give people a say in what they see and draw them in. Really happy to see that they have embraced social media as much as they have in the last couple years.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the zoo has chosen Zeidler Partnership Architects to take lead on the Orangutan Outdoor Exhibit design.

Zeidler is responsible for the design of Destination Africa at Calgary Zoo and I believe that designed the current Panda section at Calgary zoo.

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

Oh wow considering how beautiful the designs are for those exhibits in Calgary I'm more hopeful Toronto will let that firm do something great and not just slap together something functional but lame. The panda exhibit they have built is just so elegant and natural. It made Toronto's decent exhibit look pretty bad in comparison. If I was a panda I would pick Calgary's exhibits every time. I would love to see something cutting edge for the orangs but Toronto doesn't do cutting edge. I'll take beautiful in that case and that team has the potential to get it done if given the permission and resources. But then again I just want it done so Puppe can enjoy as much time outside before she passes as possible. I do not want to see her pass without her ever getting the opportunity to go outside even for an hour again in her life. She deserves a chance to be outside and feel the sun, wind, grass, rain, smell as fresh air as possible in Toronto, and enjoy her golden years.

Judache likes this.
  7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

The zoo just announced on Facebook that tomorrow (Jan 15) after 10 am the monocled cobra is going in for an exam at the health center. Anyone heading in should check it out.

I really hope this is a thing they will do more often. When they can announce something might happen to announce it. Obviously things are subject to change due to all the animals needs but a little heads up about the routine stuff is nice. Really get some good use out of the gallery.

8. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

Obviously the monocled cobra needs some bifocals

9. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Interesting development. Any idea what they would have in mind and where?

11. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

My best guess and this would be purely a guess because there is zero chance anything could be build that fast during a Canadian winter is the former panda pavilion. It's the only empty space available that I can think of. I don't recall any mention of a location though.

12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Even that's debatable.

13. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member

I heard a pavilion roof broke from snow. Yikkes

Good excuse to walk to the Canadian domain and back

14. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Do you have any further details/news stories that you could link to expand on this?
    I ask as thus far all the zoo has said on it's social media pages is that the Malayan Woods and African Rainforest pavilions are closed due to the temperature and accumulated snow on the roof. Still a serious situation, but less serious and costly than a roof actually breaking.

15. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

Judache likes this.
  16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

Judache likes this.
  17. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

Oh other board things are up too.

Big things...

The orangs are due to finish in May 2020. Believe it when I see it.

The kangaroo walk about is back this spring. I'm going to be a happy camper.

A special multi year exhibit is coming but the document is confidential. I spent an hour pondering what it could be then deleted everything I could think of by accident. In short if we are talking animals the most reasonable exhibits I could see being converted for a new guest are the komodos exhibit or clouded leopard, Levy's, exhibit. Both are single animals who could be moved to other zoos and the exhibits have been used for special exhibits in the past. The komodos could be replaced by devils or koalas. I think the koalas are less likely as we only have hosted them for summers while we have hosted devils long term. The leopard exhibit could house many smaller species from Asia. I had other ideas for Eurasia, the savanna or Tundra Trek but I couldn't envision a lot of worthy species for the few exhibits I could see being used.

TZDugong, Judache and Yi Qi like this.
  18. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I think the zoo would go with Tasmanian devils, which are endangered and have a higher conservation priority then koalas (which are Vulnerable), though obviously getting koalas means more dough from visitors, and are also conservation priority. I wouldn't be surprised though if they got a freshwater crocodile or a perentie (which i'm pretty sure are rare, but still).

19. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

The zoo has a new program they have introduced Zoo Dairies Live! I got excited thinking it would be a monthly facebook stream or something but its an in person experience. Still cool but a let down when I thought it would be a return of the real zoo diaries. Saturday February 23, 2019 will be the polar bears.

Toronto Zoo | Events Calendar

20. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

That would be cool if the multi-year species exhibit would be the Tasmanian Devils but could imagine it'd be tricky for the zoo to get, but a zoo-loving girl could dream! I remember them fondly. They not always showed up for me but when they did, it was a special treat.