Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@GorillaFan15, the last projected completion date I recall for the orang exhibit is spring/summer 2020. It has long been the plan that once the construction begins it will be open by the following spring. I personally tend to add at least a year to any timeline the zoo gives but this is a smaller project. I wouldn't be surprised if once they start the outdoor exhibit was done in a year. What I think could take longer though is the chute connecting their holding to the yard. That will involve actual work on the pavilion and might be the trickiest bit.

A fall opening would be a poor choice. If they cannot get the exhibit open by August to sucker in the biggest numbers they should definitely hold off until the next spring. It has been so long awaited it should definitely be promoted as a big summer attraction the year it opens. Look at Eurasian Wilds. They opened it in the fall to no real fan fair. They got no bump in attendance from it because they opened so late in the fall and then didn't promote it come spring. The timing of the opening will be tricky because it will depend on the orangs once built. They will need time to convince to go out and get adjusted to being outside. Remember, except Puppe, none of them have ever been outside of the pavilion unless going the health center while anesthetized. And even Puppe hasn't been outside in at least 45 years. They may take awhile to warm up to the great outdoors.

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TZFan

During my visit yesterday I can confirm the remodel of the outdoor clouded leopard/lion tailed macaque exhibit has been completed. Four lemurs have taken up residence. They seemed very engaged with the new digs. I saw more movement out of them then I ever have in the pavilion. It will be interesting to see if the move outside really stimulates them more. Hopefully this is a better fit and will provide a more dynamic exhibit.

The remodel of the amphibian exhibits in the Americas looks to be nearing completion. The exhibits are all in and framed. They are not decorated yet but it looks like it could be completed sometime soon.

The kangaroos are off exhibit as work is being done to prepare the walkabout. There will be an exit or entrance going in right behind the old panda gift shop. Currently the viewing spot right outside of the pavilion is blocked off so I couldn't see much more of the work going on. There was no active activity going on from what I could tell but they could have been working out if sight.

TZDugong likes this.
  4. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for updating, this is some really interesting news.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about putting Lemurs in the former Macaque exhibit, I honestly thought it made a nice outdoor Clouded Leopard exhibit, but is there enough height and climbing space for animals like Lemurs? I'm not sure, but you mentioned that it was remodeled, how substantial was the remodeling?

Good news about the Amphibian remodeling, the Americas pavilion was in desperate need of some sort of change and I'm excited to see what happens to it.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  5. TZFan

@TZDugong, the remodel it's much. I think they really just replaced the poles with fresh stuff and added ropes and if I remember right some fire hose. One would think I would have taken a photo but that was the end of my day and I had lost the will to do anything. The lemurs seemed quite active and content but I don't know how long they have had access. Definitely less than a month based on my last visit's timing.

I wouldn't say expect great things from the amphibian remodel. To me, and I admit I don't pay much attention to exhibits that hold anything other than mammals and birds, it just seems like they are just freshening up the exhibits not really going with a hard core remodel. I don't think we will see any kind of big changes to the Americas until it comes time for it's complete overhaul or at least until the North American animals are all relocated to the Canadian Wilderness and front entrance. Some kind of changes will be needed then because it will probably be another 15 - 20 years until it gets it's turn and it cannot sit empty until then.

TZDugong likes this.
  6. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some interesting news came out of the latest board meeting. Looks like the zoo is getting a new and “iconic” animal!

“The Toronto Zoo has been approached with the unique opportunity to host a new iconic species, which is also a key symbol of the challenges animals are facing due to climate change. The acquisition of this species would be housed in a retrofitted portion of a current habitat and would be on loan to the Zoo for a minimum of three years.”

Any information on what this new addition could be?

Judache and TZDugong like this.
  7. TZFan

Great catch animalman0341! It wasn't there originally.

I currently don't have any idea. After my last failure with devils and getting lights I don't even want to dream.

Interesting part for me is the "retrofitted portion of a current habitat." I'm just trying to think of something that is iconic, symbol of climate change and could live in a retrofitted portion of a habitat.

The document does add more details "The species is considered “Vulnerable” on the IUCN Red List with a population of less than 250,000 on the planet. Populations continue to be profoundly impacted by climate change. The opportunity to expand the discussion and education surrounding our changing planet with our guests is a unique proposition which can be well supported with strong visuals and digital storytelling."
    Climate change is making me think Tundra Trek but with 4 bears I cant see pinching off part of their habitat. The wolves need their space. The foxes are new. There is no space to take from the snowy owl. That kind of leaves the caribou habitat so maybe muskox? But they are not vulnerable.

Maybe Eurasia. Just thinking part of the drive through could be retrofitted. I cant think of a species to add in there.

8. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

In news that will surely delight several members here, the Kangaroo Walk Through has reopened. The pathway is similar to before, entering just past the Australasia pavilion and exiting into the Amur tiger area.

Mr Wrinkly likes this.
  10. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Koala’s are vulnerable!

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  11. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

During the summer, the zoo will now be featuring "Dawn to Dusk Thursdays" where the zoo is open from 9 AM to 9 PM. Last admission is at 8pm.

TZDugong likes this.
  12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s nice! Although Thursday isn’t exactly a very busy day, nor a day I’d usually visit the zoo. Still it’s a great idea, and these longer hours are something I’ve wanted for a while now.

13. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

For those who take public transit, buses usually stop running in to the zoo by 8:00 when the zoo is open until 7:00. Regarding the extended hours on Thursdays, the zoo replied to someone's question on Facebook with this:

TTC has confirmed that they will provide later service however it will not be visible on the website or schedules on the app. The service will run every 10 minutes.

Judache likes this.
  14. TZFan

The board agenda is up for next weeks meeting.

Decision Body Profile

Nothing much interesting is up just yet. There will be an update on the orangs. Possibly the document will show up next week before or after the meeting. There is also going to be an Update on the new Welcome Centre for the Rouge Park.

15. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

16. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If we get anything close to that concept, I'd be impressed. The fact that there's an open view section has my interest.

What's the current scheduling on having this done?

17. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. TZFan

I'm surprised by the nice details put into the orang exhibit. I was assuming it would be kind of barren. I'm all for it. Hope it turns out as nice.

There are two areas on the map that look like possibly O-lines. Wonder if small ones are being included? One is a little triangle at the back of the exhibit and the other looks like a bigger diamond shaped around the research station and back to holding. Probably just me fantasying.

Did any one else notice that there is a phase two that looks like the orangs will get a second outdoor yard in front of the Indian rhinos? I had never heard of any plans beyond the gaur yard. I love the idea of a second yard however the choice of location pains me. I would rather see that space be given to the rhinos with an improved barn so we could have a larger group or a mixed exhibit like other zoos. Frankly if you had asked me where a second exhibit was going I would have assumed they were taking over the Sumatran tiger exhibit since that space is slated to be closed down. That would have made sense to me.

Of lesser note there is a future retail spot back there. I get wanting to sell things but I'd be happier of that spot was devoted to the orangs in another way or a new species (though not big) or let the birds have outside time in the summer in a small aviary or save it for pavilion redesign. There are enough gift shops.

Yi Qi likes this.
  19. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct that there are O-lines. From both the Site Plan and 3-D Rendering for Habitat one, it does look like there will be O-lines.

It actually looks like there will also be an O-line to the future second habitat. The Site Plan for Habitat 2 appears to indicate an O-line from the Canopy classroom to what I think is the corner of the Malayan Woods pavilion. Along with the aforementioned additional habitat, that does raise some interesting possibilities for when/if this comes to fruition.

If the retail spot is opened in conjunction with the new habitat, I think that is a smart move by the zoo. People can get their fix of orang merchandise right after seeing the animals. I get the desire for new species, or outdoor space for the birds but I'm not sure that the available space or funds would produce that desirable of a result.

Judache, Kifaru Bwana and Yi Qi like this.
  20. TZFan

I'll be content if the orangs get O-lines. I have seen videos from other zoos with O-lines and I really would love to see it at the zoo for our orangs. Just adds another cool element for us that is just so enriching for them.

I did notice and think that the stretch from the pavilion to the second exhibit would likely be an O-line or at the very least a large overhead chute along the lines of what Philadelphia does. Both would be equally interesting options.

It is hard for me to envision just how large the retail spot really would be. If its more like the African gift shop it could be used for nothing more than an outdoor space for the birds and even then probably not many at once. It could be smaller too and be more along the lines of the little gift kiosks elsewhere which take up virtually no space.

Still not sure about the second exhibit though. While right now we have 6 orangs in 4 groupings with slight flexibility, I don't see how a second outdoor exhibit will really help. Puppe wont be around much longer, one group down. Kembali is likely heading out in the next few years as breeding males are in short supply. Jingga already has a recommendation to move but she will stay on for a few more years. That leaves us with Budi, Sekali and Ramai and any offspring. In the next 5 years we are likely looking at 2 groups with Budi shifting between them. That would mean in the summer if both are outside the indoor exhibit which is the main focus of the pavilion will sit empty. Plus I cant see the orangs being outside more than 5 maybe 6 months a year. However take that same space and give it to the rhinos. The barn could see an addition built for it so more than one animal is visible all winter inside. Bump the yards out. Demolish the tahr exhibit, expand the babirusa, and create what could be another full size yard or at least one big enough to house 2 or 3 females plus calves or bring in a second species to live with them full time. And the rhinos can handle winter better than orangs so you could potentially see them out more months of the year. I just see better bang for your buck that way.

Considering this is the first time the zoo has revealed any other plans for the orangs than the gaur yard, I do wonder how much stock to put into it. The current exhibit plan has been on the books for a good decade now and we are just seeing renderings of it now. Could be another decade before they consider the plan for phase two.