Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Phase out, perhaps?

2. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I thought the new outside orang exhibit was going where the gaur used to be, which shouldn't affect the tigers.
    Plus the zoomobile tours have been telling everyone all summer as they pass by the guar yard that the orangs will be out there next summer. (I highly doubt that date, although in recent weeks there have been surveyors sticks in there... so I guess something is finally happening.)

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The orangs are currently going in the gaur yard. There are further plans but seeing as doing the outdoor exhibit to begin with has been something they have been waiting on a good 10 to 15 years from its original plan start date anything beyond that I would say is a long time away... if it happens at all. Plans are all well and good but they are subject to change, especially because the zoo struggles to come up with the money it needs do all the cool things they plan. Like the fact we have only one snow leopard exhibit when we were supposed to have two plus a good sized off exhibit yard. Or the loss of the wolverine exhibit when Tundra Trek was built. Funds just dry up and things get cut all the time.

However with regards to the tigers the Sumatrans will be leaving if one looks at the master plan. But again all of that could change by the time the zoo gets around to remodeling IndoMalaya. I don't remember the order of all of the projects but I think that was further down the list. First up is the outdoor orang. Then the entrance. Then the Canadian Wilderness. Seeing as we were supposed to see the orang exhibit in spring of 2018, and there is zero chance it will be ready by spring 2020, I'd say we are 3 years behind schedule right now. Those other projects will probably take a year or more longer once they get started on them... if they even get started on them once the previous project is finished. We are probably looking at at least 10 years before they get around to Indo Malaya if its the fourth project on the list. Essentially what I'm saying is I think we will have Sumatran tigers around for a long time and who knows what the zoo will ultimately decide to do once they look at that project. All the zoos plans are pretty fluid. If anything were imminent then the zoo wouldn't be making plans to get a new female to replace Kemala who will never breed. There are tentative plans for a new female but no solid plan on where to send Kemala if that happens. However as we have seen on a few occasions a few unexpected deaths can change plans.

With regards to what the zoomobile says... grain of salt. They spit out what they are told to and what they envisioned happening when the script was written up probably last winter, or at least edited, and what happened are two different things. The zoo probably thought they would get a lot of work done over the summer. Reality they didn't even get demo done. A ton more than just demo would need to be done to get the orangs out by spring. I think fall might even be pushing it unless everything is being built offsite and will be just a matter of quick assembly. Toronto is not known for being quick for construction with the notable exception of the health center but most of that was due to 2 great winters where work could be done longer. Inside work could be done over the winter to connect to the outdoor exhibit but even then I think the outdoor exhibit will take more time. If they finally get to work I think its too late for 2020 but 2021 is a possibility. Best to open it when you can get the big spring/summer draw even if it is ready in the fall of 2020.

StoppableSan, Yi Qi and Judache like this.
  4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Judache and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That News report comes from a Breakfast event for the Orangutan's that they had.
    I received an invite, but couldn't make it.

Also, for those interested, the Boards meeting happened this past Thursday.

Decision Body Profile

Judache likes this.
  6. TZFan

The board minute are interesting.

I still think the time line of 2020 for an orang opening is optimistic at best. Just say 2021 and get the maximum bang out of a spring opening. Don't waste the opening like they did with Tundra Trek and the Eurasian Wild which both opened in the fall with little to no fan fare.

It's the first time the zoo clearly states that they are looking to build a new Canadian pavilion. Initially they wanted to convert Australasia. Then that plan was dropped. I'm pleased to hear the first new pavilion in forever might come. I still think they will reexamine Australasia when they crunch the numbers but hopefully the new pavilion will come.

I love how no one at the zoo has seemed to catch yet that Rhino Ridge will feature Indian Rhinos and not White Rhinos. It's the second or third time I have caught that for Rhino Ridge in various documents. Still thrilled to see they want to incorporate Asian small clawed otters. I'd be so happy to house 3 different species of otter.

Did anyone else catch that for Oceania this passage, "Maintenance has been ongoing to support the health and safety requirements of the facility, however given the buildings age these maintenance costs and their frequency are becoming unsustainable. By designing and constructing a new facility in line with our Master Plan these ongoing costs will be reduced." Am I misreading that they are looking to build a new pavilion? I could see massive renos along the line of the African Rainforest but "new facility" makes me think it will be even more. I mean that could explain why they are looking to potentially get rid of the Sumatran tigers. That would provide them with a fair amount of extra space. Not massive but a decent amount of space for expansion potentially. But I really don't see the zoo ripping down the pavilion. Where would they store the orangs that long? Everything else could easily be moved to smaller facilities relatively easily or other zoos for the time being. I assume the gibbons will be deceased by that point and possibly not replaced. Housing the 3 - 5 orangs we will likely have by then is more questionable (Jinnga and Kembali would be gone by then and Puppe likely deceased). Interesting to think about.

Kifaru Bwana and Yi Qi like this.
  7. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was at the zoo last Thursday and half the Indomalayan pavilion was closed for construction.
    I didn't go all the way through but I believe it stretched either from the midway point of the orangutans or the gibbons to the exit where Jonah is.
    Not sure if this construction was routine as the previous comment describes or in relation to the Orangutans specifically.
    No Orangutans appeared to be on display but they could have been hiding in there bucket, though I suspect they were off because the constriction likely disturbed them.

8. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Well that's annoying. I'm planning on visiting this Saturday. Hopefully it will be done by the time I get there.

9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

10. kingoffreaks

Was at the zoo Sunday, repairs on the roof have been completed and the free flight birds are too be reintroduced in the coming days.
    Three Tragopan's *Cabot's?* have already been released to free flight area.
    Now the Torpedo Barbs are of display as some aquarium glass work is to be done, the Tomistona tank and possibly the Arrowana tank as well.
    Thats why the Painted Turtles have been relocated to the Gibbons moat, Fernando however has been uncooperative.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

13. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So apparently the summer lemur enclosure now houses a bunch of Indian peafowl, as of a visit today.

Photos from the visit to come soon.

14. TZFan

At least the zoo has something in the exhibit which can be outside most of the winter. The lemurs were never staying out there year round. The peacocks have never had a winter home where they could be on display so not a bad use of the exhibit.

The Terra Lumina display opens Dec 13 and the tickets go on sale Nov 25th.

TheGerenuk likes this.
  15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Apparently the zoo will be trading Hudson and Humphrey to the Aquarium of Quebec in favour of Taiga, and more notably, two walruses.

Toronto Zoo trading two male polar bears for a female polar bear and two walruses

I have mixed feelings here. The zoo's trading away its breeding males in favour of another female, and where can the walruses go? Only one of the bear yards have a pool, and its a bit small for them in my opinion.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. kingoffreaks

Is this the temporary exhibit that was announced?
    Walruses are at risk from climate change.
    If so we'll probably get the boys back when they leave.
    I wonder if they'll introduce the female to Juno.

evilmonkey239 and Yi Qi like this.
  17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I thought the same when I first read that.

18. TZFan

Interesting move. We could debate the polar bear moves for ages. I have long fantasized about walruses coming to the zoo but never expected it. I really didn't think the zoo had the capacity for them plus the polar bears. The zoo still needs to manage the 4 girls in 3 groups. Nikita and Aurora, Juno alone and Taiga alone. Ill take the walruses gladly but I just dont know how it will work.

19. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sorta excited to be able to see walruses (one of my favourite animals) at what I would definitely consider my home zoo. I mean, I wasn't once called TheWalrus for nothing! :p

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  20. TZFan

So little research done. Polar bears Taiga and Eddy are currently in Cochrane for the winter. Taiga is potentially pregnant. If she has cubs there she may not be moved until the cubs are older so that would be a good thing to keep space free for the bears and walruses. One less animal to share with. But if they bring her down with cubs that would be big for the zoo too.

Yi Qi likes this.