Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 5 Jan 2019.

1. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where exactly would the Walruses go? I’m a little confused about this decision, although still quite excited as Walruses are great!

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Likely the polar bear exhibit.

3. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The main, rocky Polar Bear exhibit with the big pool? Seems like a lot of wasted land space. How many Polar Bears are left at the zoo?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Discovered a more detailed press release about the matter on the Toronto Zoo website.

The Aquarium du Québec and Toronto Zoo working together to combine their expertise and experience for two iconic polar species | Media Room | Toronto Zoo

I find it rather odd that the Toronto Zoo will have polar bears and walruses residing in same exhibit complex, but, then again, the concept of these two species living in close proximity in a captive setting isn't too far-fetched. The Eismeer, at Tierpark Hagenbeck, houses polar bears and walruses in the same exhibit complex. To make it appear as though both species share the same habitat, the Eismeer utilizes the immersion exhibit design by hiding the trenches which separate the polar bears from the walruses.

[​IMG]
    Photo: Stefan Hesse
    Der Chef, der Pantoffelheld, die Zicke: Wer ist wer in Hagenbecks Eismeer? - Hamburg - Bild.de

The Toronto Zoo will have a similar exhibit design as the coastal themed habitat conceals the moat of the tundra themed habitat. It'll be really cool to see the Toronto Zoo have the walruses in the coastal themed habitat while the polar bears are in the tundra themed habitat behind.

[​IMG]
    Photo: animalman0341
    Polar Bear Exhibit - ZooChat

It's very plausible that the Toronto Zoo is anticipating Arnaliaq to reproduce while residing at the Toronto Zoo as the press release states
    Since Lakina has been weaned from her mother Arnaliaq, the maternal bond, if one still exists, will not be as strong as the bond between a newborn calf and its mother. Therefore, if Arnaliaq breeds with Boris at Aquarium du Québec and moves to the Toronto Zoo pregnant, the Toronto Zoo will be able to conduct
    Also, if Arnaliaq does become pregnant and gives birth to a viable calf, it'll be the first walrus calf to be born at the Toronto Zoo!

The Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat has announced that Taiga is showing signs of a potential pregnancy.
    Potentially pregnant polar bear showing denning behaviour in a natural captive environment - Polar Bear Habitat | Facebook

With Taiga moving to the Toronto Zoo in the foreseeable future, and possible cubs on the way, it questions whether Taiga will remain at Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat for some time or be transferred to the Toronto Zoo sooner rather than later. Since Taiga isn't moving to the Toronto Zoo until Hudson and Humphrey have been transferred to Aquarium du Québec, it's highly likely that Taiga will be moved once her cubs are mature enough. Of course, this is based on the assumption that Taiga is pregnant so if she isn't, she will probably be transferred shortly after Hudson and Humphrey's departure for Quebec.

evilmonkey239, TheGerenuk and Yi Qi like this.
  5. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really really excited about this news! While I understand the emotional attachment to the polar bear brothers, it’s not as if we are losing the species entirely. I’ve longed to have some type of pinniped back at the zoo ever since the fur seals left, and to get walruses of all things is a huge boon for the zoo! Looks like the walruses were the iconic species mentioned in this article that we were theorizing on earlier this year.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-134776.pdf

The article states that they will remain for a minimum of 3 years, which puts into question several things. Firstly, as @Elephant Enthusiast said, does this mean there is the possibility of a walrus calf? Second, what does this mean for bears if they don’t have access to the large pool? Third, what does this mean for the Canadian Wilderness development? Does the zoo add funding to create a permanent walrus habitat? Does the zoo speed up the construction of the Bear Complex (polars and grizzlies) in order to provide the polar girls more room? So many questions that I’m sure we all want answered, but I think this is a really exciting time for the zoo! The Pandas were great and all, but they’re not a very active species and they cost the zoo a lot of money to display. Walruses are far more entertaining and engaging, and I think the viewing public will actually turn up to see them! Sorry for the rant, it’s just been such a long time since I’ve been excited about a new species, especially one I’ve always wished we had incorporated into the Tundra Trek from the beginning (Musk Ox and Wolverine as well).

6. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

They could always just rotate the bears and walruses on and off with one another, more or less simple as that.

7. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With both species (walrus and polar bear) struggling in wild and captive populations, I am somewhat confused by the desire to have all female populations of both??

evilmonkey239 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Problem here in Canada is we are starting to reach polar bear capacity and cannot send them south. Toronto is currently home to 5, Cochrane is home to 5 at the moment, Zoo Sauvage has 5 (2 are yearling males) and Winnipeg is home to 10. Aquarium Du Quebec is expanding a little at least to house more but there isn't a ton of room left to expand until Calgary eventually gets to the point it will open its own exhibit. Winnipeg could handle more but if they do it will be orphans. Unless we can offload some bears on Europe or Japan breeding will need to be limited. Plus breeding is tricky as Winnipeg has neutered its adult males limiting the gene pool. Any captive cubs are related to Inkuksuk and Aurora (Hudson, Humphrey and Juno... and Nikita is Aurora's sister just to add that in), Inkushuk and Aisaqvak (Ganuk and Taiga), Yelle and Aisaqvak (Kinuk) or Yelle and Milak (Shouka). Toronto has been shopping Hudson and Humphrey around for a European load for a long time now and nothing has happened so I can see the pause on breeding for now.

The walruses is more of a question. Arnaliaq could well arrive pregnant. She was pregnant last winter but suffered a miscarriage at some point. Perhaps they want to see if they can increase her odds of safe delivery if shes moved away from Boris. Toronto did that with the polar bears. Aurora had a habit of killing her cubs at first. Then they tried moving Inkushuk to Cochrane the next time she had cubs and while she couldnt nurse them and the litter was lost she at least tried. Each time after that she was bred he was moved and she tried to raise the cubs but she's just not meant to rear cubs.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why are CAZA zoos part of AZA if regulations prevent animal transfers with US zoos if these cannot happen at all?

I do believe a more pro-active approach with Eurasia involving intra swaps of both males and females would be a better option.

zoomaniac likes this.
  10. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's not AZA preventing the transfers it's a US law related to marine life or so is my understanding.

Yi Qi likes this.
  11. TZFan

@Kifaru Bwana, kingoffreaks is right. It's US law that causes the polar bear headaches for both countries. We have lots and could really boost their population but cannot share. Hurts our breeding potential and hurts a dying US gene pool.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This underlines why and how US law is hopelessly inept and actually is detrimental to both in and ex situ conservation. Hence, me suggestion to move on and over to cooperate with EAZA and Eurasia!

13. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

While polar bear transfers are prohibited, many other species transfers are not and do occur. Being part of the AZA helps facilitate those transfers. Relying only on overseas transfers would likely increase costs (and perhaps even paperwork) substantially. I do not think that is a good idea.

14. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which is why I seriously hope that the U.S. will lessen the ban of imports of species like polar bears. Nobody wants the population of a popular animal to die out because of stubborn lawmakers.

zoomaniac, evilmonkey239 and Judache like this.
  15. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

16. TZFan

Wow the orang document is so long. 1330 pages! I lost interest early on. I cant say that I understand any of the drawings really but imagine having to read that whole sucker and understand it to make a bid! Yikes! The job should be awarded by mid Feb. I think that safely rules out 2020 for an opening. Too much needs to be done. Demo. Construction. Looks like some of the supports the orangs can climb they want to look like trees so maybe some more fabrication. 2021 seems far more likely should they get a construction company.

17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. TZFan

The zoo has posted plans for the polar bear exhibit modification. Looks like modifications to the main pool are minor. Little bits here and there to prepare for walruses but most looks like just maintenance jobs they would have had to do regardless. The maternity yard will be more of a reno. The little pool will be replaced by one that looks to be about 4 to 5 times bigger. In the holding doors are being expanded and other little things are being done to help the walruses move around. The completion date was to be Jun 19 2020 but they already have extended the contract submission date twice already so they are at least two weeks behind schedule. Wonder if they are having trouble getting contractors for this one. An early summer opening might be slipping away.

http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2020/TZC T 03 (2020-01) POLAR BEAR EXHIBIT AND HOLDING MODIFICATIONS.pdf

http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2020/TZC T 03-2020-01 Polar Bear Exhibit and Holding Modifications - Addendum....pdf?a

The zoo is also looking at redesigning a number of paths throughout the zoo the make things safter and more accessible. They are focusing on 6 key areas. The temples waterfall which is a steep hike and has slip concerns. The hill from Africa to Tundra Trek which is also a pretty steep hill in certain portions. There they are also concerned about trees and the need possibly for retaining walls and hand rails. The board walk from Indo Malaya to the rainforest pavilion which poses a real problem because of how the route has to run. There's concern about some sidewalks in the parking area. The bridge leading to the rhinos will likely see the south side get redesigned because it too is steep. They are looking at re angling it and maybe taking out some of the pine trees which are not a native species so they are good with it. The path between the African resturant to the Twiga gift ship also needs attention because the path is a little too steep at times. Its not as bad as others but has far more concerns due to existing features.

http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2020/RFP 07 (2020-02) Design of Accessible Pathways.pdf

The board had its meeting as well earlier this month.

The board was asked to approve a contractor for the orang exhibit and a larger than originally expected cost. So maybe this summer we will finally see progress? Nope. I wont get my hopes up yet.

They also have some new documents on conservation they have been working on. Worth reading.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-145810.pdf

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/zb/bgrd/backgroundfile-145788.pdf

20. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you so much TZFan
    Going thorough the SSPs in the PDF it lost Feather Tailed Gliders, does anyone know if we still have some behind the scenes or is this an error?