Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 14 Mar 2020.

1. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I might just be dreaming big but if there getting Sea Otters a new species for the zoo maybe they'll get an antarctic Penguin species as a way of packaging the two to educate on climate change.
    I'm not sure how Sea Otters are effected by climate change but I image they are .
    As we don't have any antarctic species to my knowledge the entrance would be the prefect area not to mention climate change exhibit at the front would send a strong conversation message.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@kingoffreaks, I wouldn't be sad to see a second penguin species. I just kind of feel they will split the current colony of Africans because we have a group that are possibly crosses. It would free up space for more breeding. I kind of viewed the map with a large otter exhibit and then at the back a much smaller penguin exhibit which didn't suggest to me another breeding colony of another species. Probably just reading too much into a rough plan years away.

The strongest contenders would be species already in Canada, king, Humboldt, gentoo and Northern rockhopper. If they are going the route of a new species I would hope they avoid Humboldy and Magellanic. They look so similar to the Africans the average guest wont know the difference therefore the zoo won't really get as much benefit from saying look at our new penguin. Kings would be a great way to draw guests in winter if they introduce penguin walks. They might be too big for a small space. Gentoos aren considered least concern so getting them wouldn't have as deep of a conservation message. Northern rockhoppers would be great. They are endangered. They provided the message the zoo is pushing about conservation. However they pose a major obstcale in getting. The population in North America is extremely small and may need to be phased out without imports. Other less likely options for those who don't know what the AZA keeps Southern rockhopper, chinstrap, little blue, macaroni and candidate program Adelie. Technically Emperor as well but that's not happening.

I do like your idea of hitting hard at the start with the a conservation message. Climate change probably is part of their story but also conservation success as their population one fell to 1000-2000 animals and has rebounded. Also their history with oil spills highlights our impact on our environment. This part ties in nicely to any penguin species as well. Both species are really stories of how we impact animals since we hunted sea otters to near extinction and we are pushing penguins towards extinction as well.

Jungle Man and Yi Qi like this.
  3. TZFan

The giraffes now have their own Twitch live stream. You can control the camera too.

Twitch

4. TZFan

The zoo is now offering a camping experience as of August 6th called Wild Tails Family Campsite. Guess without the Serengeti Bush Camp experience running this is the next best thing, let people bring their own tents and do their own thing. Add ons like a bat detector and Terra Lumina are going to be options around the middle of August. The dinner is still held at the Simba Safari restaurant so I'm guessing they probably broke down the bush camp tents and are letting people camp there but that's just a guess. The other big space I could see them using is the field between the ostriches and the Domain. Could allow for a lot more distancing.

Toronto Zoo | Wild Tails Family Campsite

http://www.torontozoo.com/!/pdfs/te...ily Overnight Camping Handbook 2020 07 28.pdf

5. TZFan

The zoo has another corpse plant that is due to bloom sometime around August 5th.

TheGerenuk likes this.
  6. TZFan

7. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There are contractors working on the orang outdoor exhibit at last.

StoppableSan and Judache like this.
  8. TZFan

Dreams do come true!!! I still think spring 2021 is a long shot unless pieces have been build offsite and just need to be put in place and secured. But I'll just be thrilled when it eventually opens and pray that Puppe makes it that long. In the end the best thing I could see is her outside for whatever time she may have left with us. That would top an infant for me personally.

9. TZFan

The corpse plant now named "Vincent Van Gross" is predicted to bloom Aug 6th or 7th based on growth and development. When they know its blooming the zoo has announced they will extend hours so people can experience the "joy".

10. TZFan

The corpse plan has bloomed and will likely still be in bloom through Aug 12. Extended hours are in effect to see it for an additional fee.

11. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember there was talk at the start of a new master plan.
    Has this been released or is it still under review?
    Was the new entrance plan part of it or is it separate?

12. TZFan

@kingoffreaks the zoo had put out a request for bids to develop a new master plan with a close date of May 20th for submissions. Based on the time line being off just a little from their original close date the contract should have been awarded in June. Now if we add a month to all plans the final draft of their plan would be late November with it being presented to the board at the following board meeting which if the board meetings stay on track would be December 1st. Could be early in 2021 as well because not all board meetings happen. So basically the only guidelines we have to work with is the 2016 master plan which has clearly been scrapped. However I think it will still provide a good basis for the order in which animal related projects are dealt with. There was sound reasoning behind the order. The Canadian Wilderness I think will be the next big animal related project once the front entrance is done because the domain is run down and that hill remains a problem they just cannot fix.

The front entrance is theoretically part of the 2016 master plan but it looks vastly different than what was just proposed. The southern buildings in the new plan for the most part aren't there. The set up of where facilities are laid out is different. There was to be a river otter exhibit around where the carousel is in the old plan where as the new plan calls for a penguin/sea otter exhibit positioned in the entry plaza before the gates. It also called for the main gift shop to turn into an insect house which doesn't appear on the new plans. I'm sure it would be converted to something but it looks like the new plan calls for three phases with each one being less defined as the project progresses leaving room for future planners to leave their mark. Honestly this could all change too depending on the new master plan and the possibility of cutting corners and plans as costs add up. I think for now what we have seen is the plan they will run with but it will come down to cost by the time they hire a crew to build it. I'm not sure they would start it until the orang outdoor and the walrus modifications were done.

13. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That's rather optimistic.
    Usually after the deadline for an RFP the submissions are evaluated and several teams are invited to interview. Eventually (it could be a month or more - could be several months) a top rated team is invited to enter into contract negotiations. That can take weeks and since it must be approved by a Board it takes longer. (It was not in their July meeting minutes and the next announced meeting is October) So at best work begins early November.
    The RFP calls for the work to be accomplished in 6 months but allows for as much as 9 months. Once the Master Plan is accepted it must be approved by the Board. Even then it may not be made public for quite some time. Announcement of new Master Plans is usually tied to a major fund raising campaign (to pay for the first few projects)
    So I wouldn't expect you'll see anything for over a full year.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2020
  14. TZFan

@Zooplantman you are correct it's optimistic but it's the zoo's optimism not mine. I was going based on their timeline and then the adjusted timeline by the delay that already happened. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was even as late as 2022. We all know by now the zoo rarely does things by the time they say it will be done... outdoor orang exhibit is our prime example. I doubt there is much of a concern right now about when it's done. They need to focus on the orang and walrus first and then the front entrance. Honestly that could put it at 3-5 years the way things at the zoo goes before they would even need to know the next project. The only time to worry about what comes next is when the zoo has begun phase one of the front entrance project but maybe not until phase 2. Sounds like a multi year project.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TZFan

The zoo did a live stream discussing the outdoor orang exhibit. I think most of us won't learn anything too new about it from the stream but good that they are trying to show it off to others and promote it for fundraising. Apparently it will cost $10 million. Way up from the original $2 million they estimated several years back but if they really do the 3 phases the last design showed that could help explain it. They considered making it a mixed exhibit but shied away due to cost according to the keeper. I really don't see how adding gibbons, langurs or siamangs would increase the budget that much if at all but whatever I just want Puppe to go outside.

Judache likes this.
  16. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm completely guessing here, but perhaps the bulk of extra cost for additional species would be behind the scenes, as they'd have to have additional off-exhibit holding for them that would connect to the new space?
    (As well as obtaining the animals, and the additional ongoing food/veterinary/keeper services. I would imagine every single new animal, large or small, has some kind of assigned algorithm that calculates the cost of having them.)

17. TZFan

Hours are changing again come Sep 8 which I'd assume will be the hours until Thanksgiving. It'll be interesting to see what the do with winter hours.

Monday
    12pm to 4:30pm
    Last timed-ticket at 2:00pm

Tuesday - Friday
    9am to 4:30pm
    Last timed-ticket at 2:00pm

Saturday & Sunday
    9:00am to 6:00pm daily
    Last timed-ticket at 3:30pm

Scenic Safari:
    Mondays: 9am - 12pm
    Last timed-ticket at 11:00am

Toronto Zoo | Welcome Back

18. TZFan

Two new Wild Encounters have been added, Bactrian Camel and Malayan Woods. Not too bad. Getting a chance to be up close and personal with camel calf Zuri and being allowed back in the woods is nice.

Toronto Zoo | Wild Encounter

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Judache likes this.
  20. TZFan

Finally the zoo has realized what we have all been saying for years! Bring back Zoo Diaries!!! It was such a great show. Yeah several zoos now do their own series just like Zoo Diaries but its not the same as it being our zoo and our animals. Gosh I hope someone picks this up and runs with it. I bet the zoo is seeing the value in their live streams daily and realizing there is an audience for a new Zoo Diaries. I still would like to keep the live streams because Zoo Diaries can still show things they just can't on a live stream due to noise, connectivity, being live and all that part entails. For me this is the biggest news since they surprised us with the walruses! Or maybe the news they actually did some work on the outdoor orang.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.