Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Developments 2022

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cypher, 3 Jan 2022.

1. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 3 Jan 2022
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. hyena142

hyena142 Well-Known Member

The zoo just officially announced the closure, and that they will be reopening January 27. Fingers crossed this is the last time we'll have to deal with this.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2022
  4. TZFan

I think any reopening plans would just be pure optimism right now. I think its going to be a couple months minimum.

5. hyena142

Some new looks at the orang rockwork courtesy of Dolf's insta, it's good to hear that the project is continuing on even though the zoo is closed yet again. upload_2022-1-11_15-2-51.png
    upload_2022-1-11_15-3-7.png

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. cypher

The Orangutan outdoor exhibit looks to be coming along nicely. It's great that Dolf is sharing this on his Instagram page, but honestly, this is the kind of stuff that should be on the main zoo social media pages. This along with the washroom updates and other projects going on should be all over their social media. It connects people with the zoo, and brings further interest to everyone watching them.

Also the zoo will operate as a full time, 7 days a week, Vaccination Clinic in partnership with FH Health starting January 12. First, Second, and Booster shots will be available to book by appointment only. See the below email for more information.

https://www.torontozoo.com/mediaroom/press2022/20220111

7. hyena142

Now that you mention it it's definitely weird that these updates are locked to the CEO's insta stories, maybe they don't wanna drum up hype for something that still has a chance of not opening this year if omicron doesn't improve. I dunno, that's the only reason I can come up with.

8. cypher

I honestly think that this is purely Dolf posting stuff he thinks people might find interesting. No real agenda behind it...Well, maybe free advertising for the zoo, which is a good thing. However, the zoo should adopt that kind of thinking and regularly post stuff similar to those kinds of post we see from Dolf.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  9. TZFan

The zoo is moving from daily Facebook Lives to weekly ones, just on Fridays starting in Feb. What a pity! I think in the last 2 years we have really gotten a chance to see and learn so much more through them. I suppose I should be grateful for that time but still stings to loose the daily dose. They will still do additional ones for special occasions.

Kinda hope before they make the shift they can do one for cheetah, Emarah's litter. Just talk to us while we watch the keepers cam of the maternity den.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Aelita

Aelita Well-Known Member

I saw recently on Dolf’s IG stories that the stairs in one of the pavilions are being renovated! While small, would more QoL updates for zoo infrastructure be incoming?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. hyena142

Just took a look for myself, looks to me like the stairs down from the upstairs orang viewing to the invasive fish tank. Nice to see they're using the time without guests to give some stuff a few touch-ups if they need it. I wouldn't anticipate any huge changes waiting for us tho.

12. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Definitely a time to use the space with no guests entering in or out. Plus the Orang tunnels above in the pavilion do call for a few tunnels that will go right above the staircase I believe from the last facebook live with project Manager Ben.

13. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Algorithms for Apes - The York University Magazine

An ongoing project by York University and the Toronto Zoo, not only will this project be studied using the 6 Orangutans but also they hope to spread the project over to the Polar Bears and Tigers.

P.S. Great photos of Budi the orangutan.

14. cypher

The Zoo is opening back up on February 10th. The link below has more details and explains that they are opening this date rather than January 31st in order to complete new elements they have going on at the zoo. This includes the following:
    • Installation of a new network that will include site wide WIFI
    • Completing washroom renovations at the top of the boardwalk at the entrance to Africa
    • Providing a vaccine booster clinic onsite

https://www.torontozoo.com/welcomeback

TheGerenuk likes this.
  15. hyena142

Site-wide wifi has been a long time coming, nice that's finally been taken care of. No more having to deal with terrible reception in the Savanna lol. Glad to hear they're almost ready to open again, fingers crossed this is the last extended closure we'll have to deal with.

16. cypher

Granted that the wifi won't be implemented for a couple months, according to the zoo, but it will definitely be welcomed by visitors.

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Well-Known Member

The Wifi is great, another important quality of life upgrade to bring the infrastructure of the zoo up to date.

Also so happy the zoo is opening up again. It seems like they took advantage of the closure during the slowest time of year. I have my plans to go back the first weekend they reopen. Also excited not to have another Giraffe baby during lock down!

Aelita and StoppableSan like this.
  18. cypher

Yes, taking advantage of the closure was the smart thing to do for sure.

19. AJ the TZ Guy

AJ the TZ Guy Well-Known Member

I'm very impressed with the progress being made, I hope it does get to open this year so I can see it on my annual visit! :3

20. cypher